Author Topic: Good Budget Datalogging DMM?  (Read 11841 times)

Offline FenderBenderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
Good Budget Datalogging DMM?
« on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »
I was just watching the Gaussian Resistor Redux video Dave just did and I was amazed on how helpful a Datalogger can be and I'm trying to understand why I never thought about getting one.

Is there anything good dataloggers under USD$200 that anyone knows of?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Budget Datalogging DMM?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »
A little-known gem:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?261833-Playing-with-the-RadioShack-22-812-Meter

(It doesn't have the features of the Agilent that Dave was playing with, but it doesn't cost anything like as much either.)

alm

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »
After Dave's last video, I'm not sure if the Agilent U1272A can be called a good data logging meter either ;). There are several affordable DMMs with computer connection, do you require stand alone data logging or is tethered to a computer acceptable? Not sure about affordable meters with internal storage, but I'm sure they're out there.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
The Agilent software, and mostly the IR-cable device driver, goes nuts if the PC gets in any windows power saving mode, and wake up. 
If you keep this info at your never-to-do list,  nothing will spoil the fun.  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:09 pm »
Well I don't have a PC on my bench, nor is there really space for one...so I was kind of thinking internal would be best.

I think the Agilent did a pretty decent job. My needs would not be even as much as what Dave did either.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:33:21 pm »
Dave did amazed me in his last video, who would ever thought to use the trigger data-logging in the Ohms mode ? 
The extremist electrician was care about testing the continuity mode with trigger data-logging.  ;D

Every one has his own needs about using the data-logging mode, and the lesson from all of this,
is to think ahead and get something truly worthy.
We do not buy tools every day. 

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:56:09 am »
After Dave's last video, I'm not sure if the Agilent U1272A can be called a good data logging meter either ;). There are several affordable DMMs with computer connection, do you require stand alone data logging or is tethered to a computer acceptable? Not sure about affordable meters with internal storage, but I'm sure they're out there.

DataHogging Multimeter.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:37 am »
DataHogging Multimeter.

LOL!
It obviously has a non-predictable FINO Buffer!
http://www.ganssle.com/misc/wom1.pdf

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:05 am »
I was just watching the Gaussian Resistor Redux video Dave just did and I was amazed on how helpful a Datalogger can be and I'm trying to understand why I never thought about getting one.

Is there anything good dataloggers under USD$200 that anyone knows of?

Just remember that there are two types. Those with internal memory like the Agilent, and those that are just a PC connection, and both are advertised as "data logging" meters. The former being much more versatile of course.

Would be interesting to know what is the cheapest one on the market with internal data logging.

And of course,m very few would have that "auto" capture capability like the Agilent, as that "touch hold" feature (logging or not) was pioneered on the Fluke's and then has progressed to very few others meters on the market.

Dave.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 11:03:43 am »
In a cheep DMM with pc connectivity via a serial port (infrared connection) I had used a n Arduino with a 2 Gig SD card as a data loger. It was quite versatile.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:15 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »
Yeah. It doesn't have to be accurate to 0.0001% or anything. Just decent accuracy with decent amount of storage. The Agilent U123x series has internal datalogging but only for 10 entries.  ::) 10 entries? What is that, like 2KB? Jeez.

The U124x series has 100 I believe..but no USB interface.

I'm going through all the big names now. Seeing if I can find anything. Amprobe, B&K Precision, Extech, Agilent, etc.

Hmm...

alm

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
Not exactly a big name, but some of the cheapish Uni-T meters may do what you want. I know many of them feature PC connection, don't know about internal memory.

The Agilent U123x series has internal datalogging but only for 10 entries.  ::) 10 entries? What is that, like 2KB? Jeez.
They probably used some leftover memory in their 16-bit MCU with a few kB of memory. Either that or they didn't want to compete with their more expensive series.

http://hackaday.com/2011/11/12/adding-rs232-to-a-multimeter-the-hard-way/

That's probably the cheapest option. :)
If you only measure floating SELV circuits, but given the quality of the meter, measuring dangerous voltages was probably never a good idea. Note that the RS-232 port is likely connected to the common lead, since I don't see an optocoupler in there.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »
http://hackaday.com/2011/11/12/adding-rs232-to-a-multimeter-the-hard-way/

That's probably the cheapest option. :)
If you only measure floating SELV circuits, but given the quality of the meter, measuring dangerous voltages was probably never a good idea. Note that the RS-232 port is likely connected to the common lead, since I don't see an optocoupler in there.

I agree, but still it's probably the cheapest option and nice enough if you don't need to put it anywhere near dangerous voltages. And you can always add optocouplers if you want them.

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:44 pm »
Hello there... new guy here  ;)

my UNI-T UT71C can store up to 100 values... I believe UT71D can store up to 10.000.
I didn't try to connect my meter to PC yet... but the general storing works just fine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 03:13:27 am »
Hello there... new guy here  ;)

my UNI-T UT71C can store up to 100 values... I believe UT71D can store up to 10.000.
I didn't try to connect my meter to PC yet... but the general storing works just fine.

I'm always hesitant to buy Uni-T and other China stuff but I guess I have to come to admit that just about everything is China stuff. Very few of the big companies are even making their own stuff anymore. A lot of them are just rebadged stuff outta the same factories.

We'll see

Offline mcinku

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 08:56:04 am »
Well you did say you are looking for something more affordable... I'm afraid China stuff is an obvious choice.
...and I have to say that these UT71 series multimeter is not the worse thing you can find out there.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »

Would be interesting to know what is the cheapest one on the market with internal data logging.

Dave.

Fluke - Agilent and Gossen are in the stage right now, the next player will be CEM from China,
but it is too soon to speak about pricing.
The TS-99  will come around the end of January 2012. (Fresh news)

Today I had the chance to see the Fluke data logging software in action,
it would be interesting to see an presentation of the Gossen software in action too.
Data logging - file transfer - usability ..

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:48:51 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:09 am »
And of course,m very few would have that "auto" capture capability like the Agilent, as that "touch hold" feature (logging or not) was pioneered on the Fluke's and then has progressed to very few others meters on the market.

Dave.

Is there any other handheld that will do the auto-logging like the U1272A?  The U125X series will not (at least the older, blue "A" models), and even the fancy Fluke 289 will not.  That really seems like a unique and useful feature.

For that matter, is there even any common bench meter which will do that without programming?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:44:35 am »
Is there any other handheld that will do the auto-logging like the U1272A?  The U125X series will not (at least the older, blue "A" models), and even the fancy Fluke 289 will not.  That really seems like a unique and useful feature.

For that matter, is there even any common bench meter which will do that without programming?

I'm surprised the 289 does not have it?

I can certainly vouch for it's usefulness!, and I was surprised to find it had that capability. I didn't read it in the manual (although it's probably in there?), I was just playing around and found it.

Dave.

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:22 am »
The 289 will log "events," such as a change in voltage, as they occur, but it is too quick to trigger, so you will get a lot of garbage readings in between resistor measurements.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 03:52:26 am »
The 289 is a bench meter in drag. I don't how they can claim it is a handheld...

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:55 am »
The specific CEM    DT-9929/9939  has also internal memory for 9999 events, but about availability, only in Poland and Russia.
Pricing 92-130EUR ( The cheapest price was found in Russia) 

http://www.cem-meter.com.cn/en/pro/pro-466.html

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »
DataHogging Multimeter.

LOL!
It obviously has a non-predictable FINO Buffer!
http://www.ganssle.com/misc/wom1.pdf

Dave.
I had that datasheet taped to the wall for 3 months  ;D ;D ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf