Author Topic: BK precision Model 390A or similarly priced meter  (Read 8608 times)

Offline whatchitfooolTopic starter

• Contributor
BK precision Model 390A or similarly priced meter
« on: October 09, 2012, 04:54:09 am »
 Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new meter, and can't really go over $199.  Was thinking of getting the BK precision Model 390A , @ MSRP: $179.00 W/3 Year Warranty. 

http://www.bkprecision.com/downloads/datasheets/38xx_datasheet.pdf

Anyone have feedback on it?  Would my money be better spent elsewhere?

Only two things i can think of that i don't like are that it isn't true rms (don't REALLY care)  and 3v diode test (although probably good enough).  I would love to see upwards of 6v, but maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: BK precision Model 390A or similarly priced meter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:56:25 am »
6V diode test? No way.
Seriously which common meter made in the recent years have 6V diode test?
Have you seen the agilents? Not saying that you must buy them but it's good to consider agilent as well as extech

Next : Are you up for a 50$ UT61E? (Not the D that Dave reviewed!)

Offline kodai

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:51:23 am »
I have the 390A and I think its a great meter.  Its about the exact same size in length, height, and width of a fluke 87 with its holster on.  The BK Test Bench line is much better built than their Tool Kit line as far as build quality goes.  The 390A can be tossed into a toolbag if need be and take a decent beating.  Its reasonably fast and of course very accurate.  It just feels nice in the hand and looks like a quality piece of gear.  It has a good selection of functions, and each one has a good test range.  Also, the data logging is done better on this meter than most others in its price range if you want to go that route.  Also, the stand is very easy to use and doesnt wobble when you change settings via dial or the buttons.  There is also a textured rubber strip on the bottom of the stand so as to get a good grip on the table.  The display is clear and easy to read, but not very large.  The intergrated rubber case extends past the display and dial so as to protect the face from drops, and it has nice big feet (or as Dave calls them "dempools" ^_^)when laying on its back.

There are of course some things that arent so great.  The worst is the speaker.  It doesnt beap every time you change functions like the 2709 in Dave's shootout, but when it beeps, its sounds like the Amprobe 34xr.  Not a clean beep, but a real sickly cherp.  However, when doing continuity its crisp and clean.  So BK decided that sick chirp was something they wanted since it can make a nice clean beep.  Go figure.  Also the dial feels a bit odd.  Not hard to turn, and clean indents for each setting.  It just feels mushy between each setting.  But it cleanly parks with a good feel once its on a setting.  Again, just mushy or spongy inbetween the settings.

On the whole, the Test Bench line is really a good line.  I have all four of the meters and find myself using the 390A the most.  Infact, the two meters I use the most are my Fluke 87V and the BK 390A.  You will be very happy with it if you get one and it will serve you well for a long time.  Mine is going on two years old now and still looks like new after regular hobby and work use. 

I also have a UT61E like what T4P suggested.  Its a fine little meter and I got it to toy with.  Well worth the current price, and it will also serve you well.  Lets be honest, you could two UT61E's and one UT61D to cover all your bases for the price of the 390A and end up with more meter bang for your buck.  But the odds are you will get no warranty, limited saftey (not a biggie for most electoronic stuff), and there currently is no telling how long the 61 series will hold up.  They havent been out in the west for more than a couple of years and Uni-T keeps doing revisions and swapping parts and layouts on what seems to be a per run basis.  The Test Bench line has been out for a decade now and has had one minor revison that I know of.  That just makes me feel a bit better with the overall life I expect out of the meter. 

On a side note for anybody here hat has an Amprobe 38XR.  You can buy the BK Precision 390A Data Cable kit instead of the Amprobe kit.  Exact same interface to the meter but BK offers it in both serial and USB for half the price.  Both meters use the same software as well.  BK's version has a dropdown list of meters to pick and the Amprobe 38XR is in it.  Bk's software is updated (normaly once or twice a year) while Amprobe's software is over six years old.  Go figure.   

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:51 pm »
You can get new FLUKE 177 from eBay (new) for that much money, or Fluke 77IV that is very similar to that meter for about $120 (new)

Also HIOKI 3805-50 for around $110. This meter has update speed of 7 times per second for DC and as i remember 14 for ohms, its double faster than BK.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:58:41 pm »
Thanks everyone on your input.
i was looking through data sheets on all the meters talked about here, and happened to be looking through ebay auctions;  Snagged a new out of box FLUKE 87V for under $199 + 11 shipping.  I absolutely could not have spent <200, but for a new 87v i fronted the 11 on the shipping charge. ( i hope i don't have any problems with it...)

Does the 87V defult to AC current, or has that been corrected?
Other than that, this meter looks superb.

http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2161164_6116_ENG_B_W.PDF

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:03 pm »
Does the 87V defult to AC current, or has that been corrected?
The Fluke 87V defaults to AC current.

The Fluke 80 original series and series III defaults to DC current.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:17:12 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline robbag

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:38 am »
I hope its genuine and not a clone, just sounds too good to be true.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:21:54 am »
Got it in the mail a few hours ago, almost everything seems good;

..."Almost brand new Fluke 87-V multimeter. Only been used  few times one day and just sits in my closet. Works flawlessly. Just needs a new 9 volt battery. No longer in original packaging."...

1.  the screen has ~ light scratching.

2.  The Back  has chalk or soap or something on it, in the molded words and whatnot.

3.  The mA fuse is tossed.

The third one kind of upsets me, because it is NOT working flawlessly.  Add the other two on top, and I wouldn't call it almost new anymore. (very good condition used IMO).

what do you guys think, should i make a stink about it or let it go?  I had talked to him before buying it, and no mention of any of this given.  Really made it seem almost out of the box new.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:08 am »
1.  the screen has ~ light scratching.
I haven't tried, but light scratches may be buffed out with sort of commercial product/compound.

2.  The Back  has chalk or soap or something on it, in the molded words and whatnot.
Toothbrush and mild detergent or something like hand cleaner with pumice (gojo or fast orange) may get that out.

3.  The mA fuse is tossed.

The third one kind of upsets me, because it is NOT working flawlessly.  Add the other two on top, and I wouldn't call it almost new anymore. (very good condition used IMO).
I always ask now, before I bid on multimeters, whether the fuse is working or not.  If it is advertised as working flawlessly, I would complain.  When I have complained, I let them know (with a link) how much a replacement fuse costs.  Most of the time, the seller, if good and honest, offers a refund for the price of the fuse.

Some offer to take the entire unit back, but will not refund the original shipping costs (which to Canada can be significant).

Let us know what happens.

edit: A link like this

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/943121/614-1083-ND/1802035

If the seller wants to keep 100% feedback, he should refund you $6.33 for a new fuse especially on a $200 sale item.  You can try and ask him for an additional $2.50 for shipping/handling from digikey?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:33:13 am by retiredcaps »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf