Author Topic: fluke 8024 B/Extech 530 multimeter  (Read 5252 times)

Offline cowboy303Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
fluke 8024 B/Extech 530 multimeter
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:50 pm »
Has any body heard of the fluke 8024 B or the Extech 530 and if so whats your take on them.
I'm not wanting to compare them I just want to know your opinion on them.
thank you very much for you time.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: fluke 8024 B/Extech 530 multimeter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
The 8024B was among the first true DMM, manual ranging and by today's standards, has no CAT protection.  Its from the early 1980s.  eBay they sell in the $50-100 range.  The 77, or 80 series are a better buy for a used old Fluke, as it sells for the same amount.  Any design before 2000 doesn't have CAT protection built in.

The Extech 530 is ~ 5 years old, and a reputation for toughness, and a few Amazon users complain the accuracy is lower than its spec sheets, something I've never seen in any Fluke DMM.  About $200, new.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline cowboy303Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:03 pm »
what does it mean that it Doesn't have CAT protection built in?
Does that mean it's not as safe?
I f it's rated 750volts then whats the MAX voltage I should read with this meter (Friend gave this meter to me)
Thanks again   

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:30 pm »
what does it mean that it Doesn't have CAT protection built in?
Does that mean it's not as safe?
I f it's rated 750volts then whats the MAX voltage I should read with this meter (Friend gave this meter to me)
Thanks again

The IEC category ratings are about safely measuring energetic circuits and being protected from hazards. The higher categories like CAT II, CAT III and CAT IV are about using the meter to measure mains voltages on circuits where a high energy voltage spike or surge could cause a hazard (such as making the meter explode).

If a meter does not have a CAT rating (or is marked CAT I), then it cannot safely be used to measure mains circuits. Its use should be confined to low energy circuits such as on the secondary side of an isolation transformer, or with low energy voltage step-up or boost circuits where there is only low power available.

Here's a link with background information:

http://www.plantservices.com/articles/2004/232.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf