Author Topic: Fluke 17B Review  (Read 31107 times)

Offline vtlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 17B Review
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:08 am »
Was after a decent meter for under $100 and decided to go with a Fluke 17B from DealExtreme. They also sell the Fluke 15B and 18B there which are both pretty crappy meters. The 17B cost me $90.75AUD delivered which is a good price but actually quite expensive for a meter with this feature set. Other meters at this price point typically have backlights, true RMS measurement and a better frequency range than this meter. But none of those features are useful to me and I thought I’d give it a go anyway. It arrived today and I decided to give it a little review.

The low end Fluke models are made in China as opposed to the more expensive USA made Flukes. Has this been built down to a price? First impressions are that this is a real top quality meter. Its got a good weight to it and structurally it’s a brick! Grabbing hold and twisting this thing you get zero flex or creaking. Certainly the build quality lives up to the Fluke name.
The meter has all the normal features you’d need out of a meter these days. Go read the manual if you really want to know all the features. The hold button is the typical useless ‘freeze screen’ hold, not the touch hold found in the more expensive models. Basically a wasted button there.  No innovative features here, just does all the basics.

Usability

Seems nice enough to use, the range switch and buttons have a decent feel to it but I reckon the tilting stand could be better. The stand keeps the meter upright okay but since there’s no rubber on the pop out stand, the meter just moves when you try and turn the range switch and really there’s not enough grip to keep the meter still. But at least it doesn’t fall over.
Continuity buzzer is typical of a meter of this price range, the response is fast but not latched so it gives the scratchy sound. There are advantages of this though, it does allow you to hear intermittent connections.

Thankfully this thing runs on 2xAA batteries and it was supplied with 2 Energizers already installed in the unit. Having the batteries installed in the unit is a bit daft; batteries do sometimes leak even branded ones. Interestingly they’ve even lubed up the battery contacts with some lithium grease to make installation easier.

Teardown

Battery cover is screwed in with a threaded metal insert, back cover held in with self tappers. Inside the unit the PCB quality looks pretty top notch, certainly head and shoulders above most meters in this category. The PCB does seem to be of the same quality as the more expensive Fluke meters but the thing you notice is that this has a ton of surface mount trimmers. Has all the input protection you’d expect from a fluke, nothing too surprising.

The main IC is just an ASIC covered in an epoxy blob. Not made from the conventional universal QFP DMM chips so won’t be able to mod this thing with RS232 or backlight.

Accuracy

I don’t really have that much lab equipment at home to check the accuracy so I couldn't really do extensive testing. But i I test it against a 5v 0.2% REF02 voltage reference and read 4.97 v. Claimed accuracy is 0.5% +3 counts basic DC volts accuracy so it just appears to be in spec. The accuracy I won’t be able to test properly until I bring this thing into uni and test against their HP/Aglient bench DMMs.

Verdict

Well its quite a basic meter compared to the competition. It does make up for it with the build quality but I’d imagine most people probably would rather a meter with more features. I’m pretty pleased with the purchase though, should be a nice meter that will last a long time.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: Fluke 17B Review
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:20:08 am »
The main IC is just an ASIC covered in an epoxy blob. Not made from the conventional universal QFP DMM chips so won’t be able to mod this thing with RS232 or backlight.

There is nothing there for you to hack, this is the LCD screen IC  :)

Personally I have lost my interest about comparisons of Non - True RMS DMM.
And the accuracy in the mV range and the display resolution is the most important factor this days,
mostly because of the most famous Add-on for one multimeter today,
that is one AC/DC type Amperes clamp probe.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=660.msg7847#msg7847

The hold button is the typical useless ‘freeze screen’ hold

If this is your first attempt to write an review, I will not blame you,
for accusing one function that you are not aware of how useful it is !!  :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:21:55 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:00 am »
I've had a 17B for a couple of months now and it's been a solid performer.  Certainly streets ahead of the cheap $49 DMM I was using before.

Yes, it feels nice and solid and all the functions work "as advertised".

No, it probably doesn't have the resolution or accuracy of other products in this price-bracket but the frequency counter and auto-ranging are nice features.

For a second DMM that's not going to let you down or blow up in your face it's probably reasonable value.

Offline vtlTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:26 am »
There is nothing there for you to hack, this is the LCD screen IC  :)

No its not just the LCD IC, it does everything including ADC and logic. Theres no other chips on the board apart from an opamp and a 74hc148

If this is your first attempt to write an review, I will not blame you,
for accusing one function that you are not aware of how useful it is !!  :)

Could you provde an example of where freeze screen is useful? If I have my probes in my hands I have run out of hands to press the button on the multimeter. But the touch-hold function on the more expensive Flukes I think is very useful.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »
Could you provde an example of where freeze screen is useful? If I have my probes in my hands I have run out of hands to press the button on the multimeter.

You just need some extensive seminars about test leads and accessories.
The Fluke AC72 its a must have, plus you can check the Fluke catalog,
and you can also have a  look at this local thread here.  :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=448.45

Offline Semantics

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »
You just need some extensive seminars about test leads and accessories.
The Fluke AC72 its a must have, plus you can check the Fluke catalog,
and you can also have a  look at this local thread here.  :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=448.45

Well of course tools get more useful with different variety of accessories. But for an out-of-the-box review, let's call a spade a spade. Since it doesn't include alligator clip leads, IC hooks, or other hands-free probe options, hold is considerably less useful than touch-hold or even a min/max.

That's sort of like saying it doesn't matter if it has a LCD display light because you could always buy a separate headlamp.  ;D

I did pick one up about a year ago and it's a nice meter, but I generally reach for my BK 2709B first unless I was compelled to eventually check out [low-frequency] duty percentage, use the temperature probe, or have a high probability of dropping it with my butterfingers.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:50:50 pm by Semantics »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:46:01 pm »

That's sort of like saying it doesn't matter if it has a LCD display light because you could always buy a separate headlamp.  ;D

Or you can even get mini LED torches for the probes !!
Today that we have endless choices about accessories, the free hands its not an excuse any more.  :)   

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »
If you pay for the original Fluke accesories, the price will quicker exceed the value of the multimeter itself!
Fluke sells their Hall probes with a lot of money, even cables like SureGrip TL224 with silicon cables are more than 30 euros plus taxes here. Probes add to that price too.

I think this is a nice multimeter, but you should find third-party cheaper accesories. Also, it looks very nice inside, I wonder which component has shorter life time - given that short warranty.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:44:21 pm »
The Fluke pricing in the Euroland, it had bother me endless times.
And there is no cure.

This is why I had invest time, about searching and getting my Fluke test leads & accessories from ebay.
Its a wild hunting  (looking daily for test leads) but it does work eventually.
Usually I get them 40% less than the Euroland listed price, and 2-3$ more than the American average one.

I wonder which component has shorter life time - given that short warranty.
For one such fresh model, only one fortune teller will have the answer.   :)

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »
I, for one, can wait two years. My DMM's will be fine until there, I can bet on that. I don't want to be "bad" but everytime when you buy something new you can be a "tester" in real life and to find out the shortcomings yourself. On your money.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »
but everytime when you buy something new you can be a "tester" in real life and to find out the shortcomings yourself. On your money.

Yes that's how it works out for every one.  :)
But its another thing to test a light torch than a multimeter.
And how you will test the accuracy in long term ? Dear Tester !!
Oups we do not have accuracy at the cheapy ones, and so we do not care.  :D

So what left to test ? The range switch !! 

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
but everytime when you buy something new you can be a "tester" in real life and to find out the shortcomings yourself. On your money.

Yes that's how it works out for every one.  :)
But its another thing to test a light torch than a multimeter.
And how you will test the accuracy in long term ? Dear Tester !!
Oups we do not have accuracy at the cheapy ones, and so we do not care.  :D

So what left to test ? The range switch !!

The range switch on a fluke is very clicky!! I can promise that! Top quality clicks!

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »
The range switch on a fluke is very clicky!! I can promise that! Top quality clicks!

Nop , we do have another winner in this sport, and this called as Metrawatt.  ;)

Because of an old analog  Metrawatt that I got, I found Dave and the forum.
He had an presentation of a modern Metrawatt, and he got in love with the range switch.
I do not remember the number of the video blog episode.
But yea we have another winner as TOP 1, in the range switches. LOL
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:22:12 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »

Nop , we do have another winner in this sport, and this called as Metrawatt.  ;)

Because of an old analog  Metrawatt that I got, I found Dave and the forum.
He had an presentation of a modern Metrawatt, and he got in love with the range switch.
I do not remember the number of the video blog episode.
But yea we have another winner as TOP 1, in the range switches. LOL

Hah, oh boy. Maybe I have made a mistake with my purchase :P.

Either way, I could never afford a Gossen, not a student's salary at least.

Maybe in the future. I can only hope to hear the sweet clicks of a metrawatt one day!

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 06:39:43 am »
Nobody says that you made a mistake buying one!
I grew up with a russian-made analog meter, and it did it's job better than I ever dreamed! Time passed by, I still have it, but I acidentally stepped on it's screen and broke it. Otherwise it's working just fine, in spec for around more than 20 years now.
Sure, it's the size of a big brick and just as heavy.
Time will not stop and you will get a better one, and you will remember this one as good or bad, but "the show must go on".
I wish that you will remember this one as one of your best meters, according to price/reliability ratio and tell us one day.

Offline vl400

• Regular Contributor
    • Delcohacking.net
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 07:39:05 am »
I bought a 17B awhile back and its been a really good meter, used on the bench and for automotive use. Build quality is good and accuracy is well within stated specs (and has stayed there). Worth considering if your after a low end meter.

Attached is the last cal check I did between my 3 meters.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
I'm sure  you could put a backlight on it if you wanted to. You could just put a small panel mount rocker or push button on the right side. Might not be elegant, but you could. Then just grab the 3V from the batteries and hook up your LED circuitry... No timer or MCU integration, but hey it would work.

Really like how this meter looks aside from the system on a blob thing....but my other meter has that too, so I won't complain.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:57:22 pm by FenderBender »

alm

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:27:40 pm »
After you added the switch, try to measure mains, accidentally touch the switch, and you have 50% chance to get shocked. Unless your switch is rated for CAT II 600V. There's a reason why handheld DMM's are typically build in a insulated plastic case, and why operation without cover is strongly recommended against. The whole circuit is typically connected to one of the input jacks, eg. negative battery terminal to common.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »
The switch would be plastic. Maybe I don't exactly get what you're saying but something like this? Not saying I'd want to do this, just thought it might be interesting. Just a small little rocker. I don't think that you could get shocked by touching a plastic switch, and they're probably made for that reason.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/SDDJF1A100/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtNT9UGfLL4eHdZTqOXpH2hGa9yvHWe1q8%3d
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:59:18 pm by FenderBender »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:23 am »
By looking again the first page with the pictures, I do not see any available space to mount anything on it.
But if some one ever make a work around, it would be nice to present his solution with pictures.
With just words I can build castles too.  :)

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 03:08:21 am »
I dunno. Just an idea. It's not impossible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf