Author Topic: Ersa i-Con 'Nano' and 'Nano' Mk2 differences?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline analogixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ersa i-Con 'Nano' and 'Nano' Mk2 differences?
« on: September 12, 2024, 05:28:52 pm »
I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger and get a proper soldering station to replace my soldering iron, and an ESD-safe one at that.
I suppose it should allow me to solder even SMD components (which I've never done before).
i'm a hobbyist, so I neither need (or want to spend on) professional equipment.

Previous discussions here suggest the Ersa i-con Nano over other brands and models. On Ersa's website there's an i-Con Nano Mk2 which I assume is a replacement for the (non Mk2 version).

(image source for 'Nano Mk2': Tequipment)

(image source for original Nano: Amazon.com)

I have no experience with either, and according to the specs they're pretty much the same (correct me if I'm wrong) except for perhaps a new 'tip & turn' tip changing feature. If I can choose between the two (old model and the new 'Mk2'), are there any downsides or improvements I should consider? Do they both accept the same tips?
From the two photos above it seems the older model has a backlit LCD display which the Mk2 doesn't. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 06:59:32 pm by analogix »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Ersa i-Con 'Nano' and 'Nano' Mk2 differences?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 09:59:54 pm »
There does not seem to be much info about them other than the tip has the quick connect, which you mentioned.
But you haven't described anything, what is your budget? Intended soldering applications?

icon nano = https://www.tequipment.net/Ersa/i-CON-NANO/Soldering-Stations/
- 80W
- series 102 tips

icon nano mk2 = https://www.tequipment.net/Ersa/i-CON-NANO-MK2/Soldering-Stations/
- 68W
- series 142 tips

Kind of odd they are saying the mk2 has 20% more power but it has less power rating?

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: analogix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 09:05:32 am »
There does not seem to be much info about them other than the tip has the quick connect, which you mentioned.
But you haven't described anything, what is your budget? Intended soldering applications?

Sometimes "innovations" and "improvements" often turn out to be "sales gimmicks" and in the end takes away something that worked better in a previous version. Maybe someone who's used both versions can chime in?

I don't have any specific budget, and am at the moment just looking into what's out there and am considering cost thereafter. I understand you get what you pay for, but I don't want to overpay.
Also, I don't see any reason to buy gear meant for professional, heavy, everyday use with features I'd never use. This is just a hobby, but I want something well built, reliable and enjoyable to use.

Initially the Ersa RDS-80 looked to be a good buy, but looking back to previous discussions and not having ESD-protection I think it's not a contender. The Ersa i-Con Pico also looked good at first, until I read about the missing ESD-protection also there and "cheap" build according to forum discussions.
Then there are offering from Hakko for instance which have been discussed before, such as the FX-888D, and various Weller units. But from what I've read in these discussions it seems the Ersa i-Con Nano usually comes out as a better buy overall.

At the same time I'm having trouble finding out where to buy Ersa products here in Norway. I've only found one dealer (and expensive at that) selling locally. I could order online from Germany etc. but usually that would incur (often unpredictable) import duties/taxes, and if damaged I'd probably have to pay for expensive return shipping and possibly repay import taxes on the replacement item.
Weller is a brand sold many places on the other hand, but the reviews/comments here haven't impressed me.
But I digress... I really just wanted to know if the "Nano Mk2" was worthwhile and comparable to all the (mostly very favourable) reviews and comments for the previous model.

Kind of odd they are saying the mk2 has 20% more power but it has less power rating?

Yes, but it reminds me of a recent vacuum cleaner purchase where I noticed all the current models (even high-end brands) had rather impressive W-ratings. I was told that due to EU environment-regulations the manufacturers are forced to bring those down, and that high W-ratings in the past was often a sales-gimmick, giving the impression that more Watts would mean better performance while in reality they weren't as affective. While many current models do away with less Watts but more efficiency due to better design. There may be some truth to that, and also to this particular soldering station, but again it would be nice to hear from someone who's used them both.

Then again it's highly confusing with these specs, because even on the Ersa web page for the i-Con Nano Mk2 it says 80W in the title while in the "Technical data" further down the page it says 68W. And to confuse things even more, if you click on the "Download" tab further down the page and click on Datasheet i-Con Nano Mk2 it there says 80W in the "technical data" section. What gives?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 10:38:02 am »
Don’t read anything into that contradiction; it’s just Ersa’s long-term inability to decide how they want to market the wattage.

I’ve complained about Ersa’s inconsistent power ratings for the better part of a decade now, e.g. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-i-con2v-hands-on-teardown-and-mini-review/msg1178220/#msg1178220

Anyway, as someone who has a Mk1 i-Con nano at home, used Mk1 i-Con 1 and 2 at my previous workplace, and chose a Mk2 i-Con 2V for my current workplace: they’re all good.

There is no hardware difference between Mk1 and Mk2 stations other than the color of the front panel. (The station firmware doesn’t even say Mk2 on the display.) They are completely forwards and backwards compatible with the handpieces. (Ersa says this, but I have tested it: the regular (not nano) iTool Mk1 and Mk2 handpieces both work perfectly on both Mk1 and Mk2 stations. They show up on the screen as simply iTool.) I assume this is the case with the nano, too, but I have no way to test it.

I would definitely go for the Mk2 because the bayonet-lock tips (series 142) are much easier to switch than the screw-lock series 102, and additionally, they are actually cheaper! With the 102, you really have to spend another 6 euro to buy a collar for each tip, so the price of a tip is really its retail price plus 6 euro. The 142 tips have the locking collar permanently attached, but perversely, often cost a bit less than the 102 tip (without the collar!!).

You cannot mix tip generations; a Mk2 handpiece must use 142 tips, a Mk1 handpiece must use 102 tips.

Ersa claims the Mk2 have 20% better performance than Mk1 due to improved heater and tip design; that may be so, but in normal everyday use I can’t tell the difference — both perform well.

The i-Con nano does not have a backlight, which actually annoys me enough at home that I added my own backlight to it. This, and the rear-mounted power switch, annoy me just enough that in retrospect, I wish I’d just bought an i-Con 1 instead. (I also prefer the rotary encoder for setting temperature rather than buttons, but that’s a matter of taste.)

I know that Elfa-Distrelec fundamentally sells Ersa, and may be able to order a station for you. They have 142 series tips in stock at reasonable prices.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 10:41:59 am by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: wraper, thm_w, analogix

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 10:49:09 am »
Don’t read anything into that contradiction; it’s just Ersa’s long-term inability to decide how they want to market the wattage.
Yes, the only power difference is between full spec stations (running heater at 24V) and lower end nano/pico (16.5v). Full spec stations can push about 150W for a short time.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 10:58:48 am »
Yes, the only power difference is between full spec stations (running heater at 24V) and lower end nano/pico (16.5v). Full spec stations can push about 150W for a short time.
Indeed.

In practice, only when soldering very large masses does one notice the difference, though! The extra power is welcome when soldering things like coaxial jacks to 4-layer PCBs with ground planes. For most other things, the power needed is far less than the nano/pico’s capabilities. The choice of tip is more important.

P.S. I LOVE the 2.4mm asymmetrical chisel tip (0142CDLF24A or 0102CDLF24A, the key being the A at the end). It’s just fantastic at getting heat in with its chunky profile. It’s become my daily-driver tip.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 11:16:15 am »
P.S. I LOVE the 2.4mm asymmetrical chisel tip (0142CDLF24A or 0102CDLF24A, the key being the A at the end). It’s just fantastic at getting heat in with its chunky profile. It’s become my daily-driver tip.
Those are really great at heat transfer. Although not as versatile as regular chisel.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2024, 11:18:09 am »
Those are really great at heat transfer. Although not as versatile as regular chisel.
I mean… I guess so? But I can’t think of any situation where a regular 2.4mm chisel worked and this one wouldn’t have.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2024, 11:38:07 am »
Sometimes it's not possible to reach tighter spaces. Say if you have 2 row 2.54mm connector, you cannot decently use this positioned from between of the rows. Nearby pin row will obstruct the tip if you put it under angle to reach the corner in between of pin/pad. If you position it more vertically, it will barely touch pin/pad. Also it's not good for soldering wires.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 11:39:43 am by wraper »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2024, 02:20:31 pm »
Sometimes it's not possible to reach tighter spaces. Say if you have 2 row 2.54mm connector, you cannot decently use this positioned from between of the rows. Nearby pin row will obstruct the tip if you put it under angle to reach the corner in between of pin/pad. If you position it more vertically, it will barely touch pin/pad.
Sure, but typically, where the stubby 2.4mm chisel won’t fit, the regular 2.4mm chisel doesn’t fit much better. Either way, a smaller tip is needed.

Also it's not good for soldering wires.
It’s great for soldering wires! I just did a bunch with it yesterday.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 03:56:30 pm »
Sometimes it's not possible to reach tighter spaces. Say if you have 2 row 2.54mm connector, you cannot decently use this positioned from between of the rows. Nearby pin row will obstruct the tip if you put it under angle to reach the corner in between of pin/pad. If you position it more vertically, it will barely touch pin/pad.
Sure, but typically, where the stubby 2.4mm chisel won’t fit, the regular 2.4mm chisel doesn’t fit much better. Either way, a smaller tip is needed.
I can assure you I soldered 10s of thousands of 2-row header solder joints with regular 0102CDLF24 2.4mm chisel with no obstruction issues and with 0102CDLF24A I need to rotate the board 180o to do both rows without too much pain.
Maybe for tiny ones but for larger wires there is too little surface.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2024, 09:27:43 pm »
Then there are offering from Hakko for instance which have been discussed before, such as the FX-888D, and various Weller units. But from what I've read in these discussions it seems the Ersa i-Con Nano usually comes out as a better buy overall.

Yes I would not buy those weller or hakko over ersa.
There is also thermaltronics, metcal, and JBC, but some are harder to source in europe.

At the same time I'm having trouble finding out where to buy Ersa products here in Norway. I've only found one dealer (and expensive at that) selling locally. I could order online from Germany etc. but usually that would incur (often unpredictable) import duties/taxes, and if damaged I'd probably have to pay for expensive return shipping and possibly repay import taxes on the replacement item.

So you seem to be quite concerned about the cost, but still not given a budget figure :D

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2024, 03:56:20 pm »
I can assure you I soldered 10s of thousands of 2-row header solder joints with regular 0102CDLF24 2.4mm chisel with no obstruction issues and with 0102CDLF24A I need to rotate the board 180o to do both rows without too much pain.
Maybe for tiny ones but for larger wires there is too little surface.
For larger wires, I just use a larger tip (like a 5mm chisel).

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2024, 08:29:54 pm »
At work we have Ersa stations as well and the backside power switch annoyed me instantly.
This is a “No - why??“

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2024, 01:37:38 pm »
Anyway, as someone who has a Mk1 i-Con nano at home, used Mk1 i-Con 1 and 2 at my previous workplace, and chose a Mk2 i-Con 2V for my current workplace: they’re all good.

:-+

There is no hardware difference between Mk1 and Mk2 stations other than the color of the front panel. (The station firmware doesn’t even say Mk2 on the display.) They are completely forwards and backwards compatible with the handpieces. (Ersa says this, but I have tested it: the regular (not nano) iTool Mk1 and Mk2 handpieces both work perfectly on both Mk1 and Mk2 stations. They show up on the screen as simply iTool.) I assume this is the case with the nano, too, but I have no way to test it.

Good to know in case I come across a cheap "old stock" Mk1 Nano, or a used one.
I personally prefer the original front panel; the Mk2 appears "cheaper" made, and I don't understand why they even kept the up/down buttons black -almost like they wanted to camouflage them.

I would definitely go for the Mk2 because the bayonet-lock tips (series 142) are much easier to switch than the screw-lock series 102, and additionally, they are actually cheaper! With the 102, you really have to spend another 6 euro to buy a collar for each tip, so the price of a tip is really its retail price plus 6 euro. The 142 tips have the locking collar permanently attached, but perversely, often cost a bit less than the 102 tip (without the collar!!).

Strange, but good to know about running usage costs like that.
At the same time it's frustrating that companies don't standardize on things like this and go for one series for all their soldering irons.
With that in mind, are the newer 142 series likely to "take over" and thus become easier to get hold of, and eventually the series 102 will become obsolete and gone? Or is there already such a big market for 102 series tips that these will continue to be sold?

You cannot mix tip generations; a Mk2 handpiece must use 142 tips, a Mk1 handpiece must use 102 tips.

So the decision between the original and Mk2 model of the Ersa Nano comes down to which handpiece I choose. And that again comes down to which tip-series I want to go for.

The i-Con nano does not have a backlight, which actually annoys me enough at home that I added my own backlight to it. This, and the rear-mounted power switch, annoy me just enough that in retrospect, I wish I’d just bought an i-Con 1 instead. (I also prefer the rotary encoder for setting temperature rather than buttons, but that’s a matter of taste.)

Irritating about the missing backlight.
How did you add a backlight to it?
Is it a matter of just opening it up, disconnecting the existing LCD's cable and attach a new pin-pin compatible LCD which does have a built-in backlight?

I suppose it's more of an irritation the more frequently you use it, but for occasional hobby use it's probably OK (even though I'm sure the manufacturer could easily have solved both issues without much increase in cost).
I looked up the Ersa i-Con 1 (Mk2) and compared to the Nano (Mk2) the price difference here is around 150 Euros and it's probably not justifiable (in my case) to pay the extra cost.
On the other hand I understand that the i-Con 1 can have other tools attached to it, than just the soldering iron, right? I've always struggled with desoldering, but all I can find for the i-Con 1 Mk2 are "desoldering tweezers". Not sure if that's for some special purposes....
Maybe, with a quality soldering solution (i.e. Ersa Nano Mk2) and suitable tips, even desoldering with a cheap desoldering pump will do wonders compared to now!

I see that there are many replacement tips available (within both 142- and 102-series), but little information available on which tip is suited for which task.
Most of my soldering consists of through-hole components, small wires and connectors and desoldering through-hole components.
And for some current project ideas I may need to solder SMD ICs for the first time.
I've always thought the idea was to use a thin pencil-point soldering tip, but maybe it would be better to exchange tips according to task instead of a "one tip for everything" solution -especially if I upgrade from a simple soldering iron to my first soldering station!

I know that Elfa-Distrelec fundamentally sells Ersa, and may be able to order a station for you. They have 142 series tips in stock at reasonable prices.

Elfa-Distrelec are generally considered expensive, and sell mostly to the professional market (which probably explains the not-so competitive prices, but then again most of this stuff isn't commonly available anyway).
It appears that they only have the old Nano model available, but I found the Nano Mk2 at Farnell for the same price. Other than that I can't find them sold anywhere locally. I'm also looking at the used market, but Ersa doesn't seem very common. Weller appears easier (and cheaper) to find, but I'm trusting the reviews here and Ersa seems the way to go.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2024, 05:36:32 pm »

Good to know in case I come across a cheap "old stock" Mk1 Nano, or a used one.
I personally prefer the original front panel; the Mk2 appears "cheaper" made, and I don't understand why they even kept the up/down buttons black -almost like they wanted to camouflage them.
I prefer the silver fronts, too, but in the end it makes no functional difference whatsoever.

Strange, but good to know about running usage costs like that.
Who knows how that came to be. Bear in mind that I was looking at retail prices, not the wholesale prices, so we don't know whether the discrepancy is Ersa's fault or not.

At the same time it's frustrating that companies don't standardize on things like this and go for one series for all their soldering irons.

Let's not be ridiculous. Ersa introduced the 102 series tips with the original i-Con station in 2006 or 2007, and used it across the entire series until late 2021, when the i-Con trace (a weird, special station for production) introduced the 142 series. In July of last year, they upgraded the rest of the i-Con line to Mk2, which switched them all to series 142. I do not consider 18-19 years of tip consistency to be non-"standardized"!

With that in mind, are the newer 142 series likely to "take over" and thus become easier to get hold of, and eventually the series 102 will become obsolete and gone? Or is there already such a big market for 102 series tips that these will continue to be sold?
How is this a question?!? Series 142 replaces series 102, in that the Mk2 models replace the Mk1 models. It's not as though Ersa is keeping Mk1 for sale alongside Mk2. (Other than as spare parts.) Given Ersa's history, and 18 years' worth of existing Mk1 stations, I expect 102 tips to be widely available for many years to come. But there's no reason to start out now with 102, since it has no advantages over 142.

So the decision between the original and Mk2 model of the Ersa Nano comes down to which handpiece I choose. And that again comes down to which tip-series I want to go for.
Right. But as I said, there is zero reason to begin with 102 tips now. The only reason to get a Mk1 handpiece now is if you already had a big collection of 102 tips. For someone starting out fresh, it makes no sense to go with 102.

Irritating about the missing backlight.
How did you add a backlight to it?
I installed some 3mm white LEDs with series resistors to side-light the LCD. Because it was still under warranty at the time -- and because I didn't have another soldering station handy anyway -- I just press-fit the wires into some convenient vias or something. It's not super bright. I should probably redo it now that the warranty is over, soldered in with brighter LEDs, or maybe I can even find a backlight module that would fit.

Is it a matter of just opening it up, disconnecting the existing LCD's cable and attach a new pin-pin compatible LCD which does have a built-in backlight?
The LCD in the nano/pico is a custom LCD, with pins, soldered into the PCB. There is no such thing as a pin-compatible replacement. (I vaguely recall that maybe there were even PCB pads for a backlight. It's possible they envisioned it but then left it out.)

I suppose it's more of an irritation the more frequently you use it, but for occasional hobby use it's probably OK (even though I'm sure the manufacturer could easily have solved both issues without much increase in cost).
I looked up the Ersa i-Con 1 (Mk2) and compared to the Nano (Mk2) the price difference here is around 150 Euros and it's probably not justifiable (in my case) to pay the extra cost.
It is if it sits in a place where it is brightly lit. In my case, it's under a little shelf, so kinda annoying. One of the downsides to the non-backlit display is that it's REALLY easy to leave it on by mistake.

I bought my nano as a hobbyist for infrequent use, but now, 10 years later, I wish I'd just gotten the bigger one. Over the 20+ years I'll probably own it, an extra 150 euros works out to, like, 7 euros per year. 

On the other hand I understand that the i-Con 1 can have other tools attached to it, than just the soldering iron, right?
No. The i-Con 1 (Mk1 and Mk2) and i-Con 2 (never sold as Mk2) work only with the standard i-Tool Mk1 and i-Tool Mk2 handpieces. It does NOT support tweezers or anything else.

i-Con 1V and 2V stations (and the original 2006/2007 i-Con station that had no numbers at all) support tweezers as well as a number of older handpieces the Ersa catalog no longer lists.

The i-Con Vario stations support additional tools like hot air and vacuum, but one has to shop VERY carefully for the station model with the integrated air and/or vacuum pumps one needs.

A few months ago, I posted an overview of compatibility, with various Ersa compatibility tables (from different years) that, combined, give the complete compatibility: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-desoldering-station/msg5472376/#msg5472376

Note that (other than as a spare part), Ersa no longer sells the external vacuum pump that was previously used to give desoldering iron ("X-tool") compatibility with non-Vario stations. That's why the X-tools are no longer listed as compatible, even though they sort-of are.

Note that I am not a big fan of Ersa's desoldering tools, even though the current one has really high power. I don't like the way the vacuum is generated, I don't care for the shape, but more importantly, the selection of desoldering tips is small and VERY expensive, and the consumable filters are extremely expensive. (I chose Pace at home, and at work I have an old Weller that also works well. I've also used Den-On, which is excellent but $$$. The big brands whose desoldering tools I've never used are Metcal, JBC and Hakko.)

I've always struggled with desoldering, but all I can find for the i-Con 1 Mk2 are "desoldering tweezers". Not sure if that's for some special purposes....
Desoldering tweezers are for desoldering SMD components with two rows of pins/pads, like chip resistors and capacitors, SOICs, SOTs, and D-Paks. Some tweezers even have tips to desolder square components like QPFs.

I have desoldering tweezers at work (on an older Pace station), and only very rarely use them. Super handy for some situations, but unless you do frequent SMD repairs professionally, I would not spend the money for them. Even at work, if I only need to desolder a chip resistor or two, I'll just do it with a blob of solder on the iron, or I'll pull out the second normal i-Tool iron and use one iron in each hand. Only if I have a bunch of them, or larger things like the SOICs, will I pull the Pace out of the cabinet.

For hobby use, I would much, much sooner invest in a cheap hot air station, which is a far more versatile tool than desoldering tweezers, and a tool where quality isn't nearly as critical since hot air is inherently imprecise. I have a cheap "858" style hot air station at home and it works well.

Maybe, with a quality soldering solution (i.e. Ersa Nano Mk2) and suitable tips, even desoldering with a cheap desoldering pump will do wonders compared to now!
A cheap desoldering pump belongs in the trash. Especially if you're going to rely on a manual desoldering pump, then it should be a good one. The Edsyn Soldapullt series is often considered the gold standard. Their main models are quite large, which gives them a lot of suction, but cannot be re-armed with your thumb (people press the plunger against the table or their thigh). Another favorite is the Engineer SS-20, which is a tiny little thing that easily fits in one hand, so not a huge volume of air, but with a silicone tip (a short length of silicone hose) that gives it better control over where its suction is applied. That's the one I used until I got a vacuum desoldering system at home. I suspect that any desoldering pump could be improved by adding a short length of silicone hose to its tip. An Edsyn + silicone tube might be the killer combination.

I see that there are many replacement tips available (within both 142- and 102-series), but little information available on which tip is suited for which task.
Most of my soldering consists of through-hole components, small wires and connectors and desoldering through-hole components.
And for some current project ideas I may need to solder SMD ICs for the first time.
I've always thought the idea was to use a thin pencil-point soldering tip, but maybe it would be better to exchange tips according to task instead of a "one tip for everything" solution -especially if I upgrade from a simple soldering iron to my first soldering station!
As you can see from my minor disagreement with wraper in this thread, a significant part of tip choice is personal preference. With that said, I (and many others) do not understand why anyone uses pencil tips; they're not better at anything. I suspect many companies include them with their irons because they're cheap to make. Ersa includes a much more sensible 1.6mm chisel tip with every i-Tool handpiece. That's a great everyday tip. Tips with one (or more) flat sides just give you more surface with which to make good thermal contact.

When I got my new i-Con 2V at work, I was allowed to get a bunch of tips, so I got a selection of about 20 different ones. I chose them with the full knowledge that most of them will not be used frequently, with the vast majority of jobs done with just a few. Those have been the 2.4mm stubby ("asymmetrical") chisel, the 4.6mm stubby chisel, the 0.8mm stubby chisel, the 1.6mm chisel, and the PLCC blade (which is a supe-versatile tip). Of those, the 2.4mm and 4.6mm stubby chisels, and the 1.6mm standard chisel, are by far the ones I use the most. But depending on the job, I definitely use the other tips! For example, I have used the 10mm chisel for quickly soldering big, heavy banana connectors, and the 0.4mm chisel to get into tiny spaces to tidy up a single SMD pin.

(That's something that's nice about modern, high-power handpieces like the i-Tool: despite being small, they can accept quite large tips and heat them. So one handpiece is very versatile.)

If I had been under a tighter budget constraint, I would have left out a number of intermediate tip sizes. For a hobbyist, I would certainly not get a huge collection in advance. Start with the basics and then add more as you encounter situations that proved challenging.

What will be new to you, if you're coming from a basic soldering iron, is the ability to quickly change tips, even while the iron is hot. (Turn off the station before switching tips! If, for whatever reason, you start to put another, cold tip onto the heater and don't finish it quickly, the heater can very quickly overheat and potentially fail. Better to just flip it off, put on the other tip, and then switch back on. It takes only seconds to heat up.) So you no longer need to think about a "one size fits all" tip for the job, but rather match the tip to the joint. At home with my nano, I'll try to do all the similar joints on a board before switching tips to do all of a different group of similar joints. At work, I have two handpieces but normally keep only one connected. But if I know a job will have different joints that need different tips, I will connect the second handpiece so I can easily switch between them.

Elfa-Distrelec are generally considered expensive, and sell mostly to the professional market (which probably explains the not-so competitive prices, but then again most of this stuff isn't commonly available anyway).
But their prices for Ersa aren't particularly expensive, and my main point was that they have the 142 tips (the only real consumable with a soldering iron), and have them at a decent price. Who cares who they "mostly" sell to? You only care whether they will sell a particular item to you.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, analogix

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2024, 12:24:39 pm »
Oh, I just remembered one other difference between the nano/pico and the "big" i-Con stations: how standby* works.

On the big ones, the handpiece has an accelerometer inside to identify when it's in use. Motion prevents standby, and picking up the iron wakes it back up from standby. It will never accidentally enter standby while you're using it. The downside is that bumping the stand too hard while in standby will wake it up even if you don't want it to.

On the nano/pico, there is no accelerometer, and it uses heating to determine whether it's in use or not. If it sees the heat demand has remained at a constant low level for a while, it enters standby. A sudden plunge in temperature while in standby (by pushing the tip into the brass wool) wakes it up. Bumping the stand will not accidentally wake it up, but the downside is that if you happen to try to solder at the exact moment it has entered standby, it will not wake up because it's expecting the temperature to drop, so it doesn't recognize the drop in temperature as you starting a joint. So on occasion, it enters standby right as you want to use it, and at that exact moment it ignores the normal "wake up" signal. (You either have to wait for it to cool to the standby temperature and then put the tip into the brass wool, or you press one of the buttons on the front.)

On the balance, I prefer the accelerometer-controlled sleep of the big models.

*Since you've never owned a soldering station before: modern soldering stations have "standby" modes to prolong tip life. In standby, the tip is cooled to around 200°C, which is cool enough to significantly reduce tip oxidation, but still warm enough that heating back up to soldering temperature happens very, very quickly. Typically, a station will enter standby after 5-10 mins of disuse. You can set both the standby time and temperature in the settings. After a much longer period in standby (e.g. 30-60 mins), most modern stations will go into automatic shutdown, where the heater is either turned off entirely, or reduced to a very low temperature like 50°C.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, analogix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2024, 07:45:47 pm »
Tooki: thanks for sharing your experiences and recommendations!

Unless I hear of something better I think I'll be going for the Ersa Nano Mk2.
I was hoping for something a lot cheaper (like an Ersa RDS-80 which I saw second hand recently selling cheaply), but since I want ESD protection and lasting quality I guess it doesn't come for free (like everything else). It'll be an investment (buying cheap stuff that breaks down after a short while, then buying the good stuff later ends up much more expensive!).

I'm a little confused about the different tips, so I might just look up some Youtube videos on the matter first, to see which tips is best suited for which task, then buy two or 3 along with the soldering station kit. I've really only used a "pencil tip" throughout the years, as that's what I've had, but with better tools I might just experience many soldering taks to become easier.
I'm particularly curious about how to get started with SMD components.

For desoldering I might just go for that Engineer SS-20. The silicon tube sounds like a great idea (who knows -maybe adding one to my existing desoldering-pump might make a difference!). I also have a cheap desoldering-iron, which is slightly better to use than a regular soldering iron and pump, but those jobs aren't something I look forward to since it's a 50/50 chance of getting the job done or messing up circuit traces.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2024, 07:55:09 pm »
No. The i-Con 1 (Mk1 and Mk2) and i-Con 2 (never sold as Mk2) work only with the standard i-Tool Mk1 and i-Tool Mk2 handpieces. It does NOT support tweezers or anything else.

i-Con 1V and 2V stations (and the original 2006/2007 i-Con station that had no numbers at all) support tweezers as well as a number of older handpieces the Ersa catalog no longer lists.
I-CON (non 1) and I-CON 2 support different (non vario) tools, such as X-tool, tweezers and some other.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mehdi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2024, 09:35:12 pm »
I also got my Ersa Nano MK2 yesterday. Had Pico MK1 before, but decided to upgrade to the ESD version (nano) with the newer tips (142 series)
Also, it's made in Germany (vs the pico that was made in China)
It's too soon to share my experience, but considering how happy I was with pico, I think this would be even better.

The following users thanked this post: analogix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2024, 10:51:42 pm »
I also got my Ersa Nano MK2 yesterday. Had Pico MK1 before, but decided to upgrade to the ESD version (nano) with the newer tips (142 series)
Also, it's made in Germany (vs the pico that was made in China)
It's too soon to share my experience, but considering how happy I was with pico, I think this would be even better.

Sounds great!
Please report back what your experiences are, when you're ready  :)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2024, 09:09:57 pm »
I recommend a cartridge soldering tip system, that is JBC, PACE or Hakko and some more. Now I see no reason to buy an Ersa.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2024, 09:28:19 pm »
I recommend a cartridge soldering tip system, that is JBC, PACE or Hakko and some more. Now I see no reason to buy an Ersa.

Don't poke the hornets nest..

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:53:50 am »
Ersa achieves similar performance (certainly the same as the Pace AccuDrive, if not better, and certainly better than Hakko and Pace’s earlier cartridge systems) without actually needing cartridges. In the end it’s about how well it performs in the real world (and not about how that is achieved), and Ersa does deliver. JBC’s thermal performance is perhaps a tiny bit better, but not so much better as to outweigh other things I prefer about Ersa.

I’ve used JBC and Ersa extensively, and when it came time to pick a new soldering station at work, I chose Ersa over JBC.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:56:52 am by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 01:12:16 pm »
I’ve used JBC and Ersa extensively, and when it came time to pick a new soldering station at work, I chose Ersa over JBC.
Well, you might be happy with Ersa when you do not need such a big range of soldering tips and you do not need to change tips often and quickly.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf