Author Topic: Ender 3 pro file format ?  (Read 28471 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Ender 3 pro file format ?
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 01:12:07 pm »
Thank you Hemi, looks complicated, i mean its not only position numbers, you have to do all thinking for the machine,
i dont own a printer yet, my friend has one, i dont know enough yet, i,m still in doubt if i buy one next week.

@beanflying : i give you a good reason, why would i buy a new computer to support windows10 ?,
my computer is good, i have to vacuum clean it and remove dust in cooling block soon.
MPLABX works, the latest v2, you can download old version, and XC compilers work.
3D max works, and my visual professional package works.
Not gonna buy software that only works online.
I CAN NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 7 or up.
Your computer isn't good as you're trying to perform a somewhat modern task and have to ask online. I don't know what got you to paint yourself in a corner like that but it may be time to realise holding on to an ancient platform isn't a viable strategy.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 01:23:16 pm »
So i need to generate STL files, thank you
There should be plenty of information how the 3D printing process works. I assume you have access to internet other than this forum. You first create a 3D model with software like Solidworks or even OpenSCAD. The result is saved as an stl file. That model is then sliced by a program like Cura so the printer knows how to deal with the model. The result is gcode which are instructions for the 3D printer to follow. Heat this and go there. The gcode is then typically loaded on an SD card and into the printer for actual printing. There are many ways of generating stl files which can be open or proprietary, free or very expensive and off and online.

Offline Jan AudioTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 01:26:18 pm »
I have my own 3D editor, applause, thank you.
Doing game programming also.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »

I was going to load the gcode commands (as a demonstration of the complexity) in this post for a simple box I made for a small Chinese frequency counter.

However, even for that simple box, all the gcode commands were too many for the allowed post size on this forum. It's mind-boggling.

Get yourself the right tools and enjoy the hobby.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »
I must've misunderstood. Load the stl file your 3d editor puts out into Cura and you should be good.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »
I can just order it and try later, no need to saw off any fingers or hammer them.
Based on algorithm generated casings aint to difficult, dont need edittor at all.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:05 pm »
The correct procedure is design in Fusion360 (free) or parametric like OpenSCAD or some other 3D CAD tool. 
Then export STL files.
Then generate printer and filament specific gcode files with the slicer.

The gcode files are large, simple Benchy is 4MB.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2019, 04:14:22 pm »
The correct procedure is design in Fusion360 (free) or parametric like OpenSCAD or some other 3D CAD tool. 
Then export STL files.
Then generate printer and filament specific gcode files with the slicer.

The gcode files are large, simple Benchy is 4MB.
Fusion 360 is cloud based and hardly free.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2019, 04:15:18 pm »
I can just order it and try later, no need to saw off any fingers or hammer them.
Based on algorithm generated casings aint to difficult, dont need edittor at all.
You said you have a 3D editor. Just output your design as stl and you're set.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »

It is cloud-based but it actually is free for any user for personal use. I have a free account.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 05:04:14 pm »
I refuse to use it. They could retract my license at any time.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 05:11:02 pm »

Oh I don't use it either, I just got an account last year when I was looking for a program to use. Too hard for my brain. I may learn it one day, don't know yet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 05:12:16 pm »
It is cloud-based but it actually is free for any user for personal use. I have a free account.
That's a very narrow interpretation of the word free. About as narrow as it gets really. You give up full control of your designs and workflow and trade it for postponed payment.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 05:13:29 pm »
That's a very narrow interpretation of the word free. About as narrow as it gets really. You give up full control of your designs and workflow and trade it for postponed payment.

Oh OK ...  :palm:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
Oh OK ...  :palm:
The distinction of it being a service instead of a program is a rather important one. I've lost files and work to "free" Autodesk software before.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 05:16:47 pm »
I’m finding freecad sufficient. I’ve designed some complex parts in it now and it works like my brain does.

Price is right and it isn’t a bloated whale. And you can also use it for Kicad models!

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 07:21:30 pm »

Yes, that is right. But it's more free right now than anything else beginners can easily use.

Maybe. Meanwhile you did get to draw and print objects. And learned some 3D modeling. Without paying autodesk a penny.
It's about as free as Circuit Maker.

I didn't expect it to get people that hot...

edit:
I know about FreeCAD. It's a whole different type of modeling. Scripted modling I would say.
I've downloaded many 3D cad tools. But eventually settled for an Fusion360 subscription at work because of their low price right now. And started using it at home for my 3D printer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:24:01 pm by Jeroen3 »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:32 pm »

How long have you been a member?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:08 pm »

Yes, that is right. But it's more free right now than anything else beginners can easily use.

Maybe. Meanwhile you did get to draw and print objects. And learned some 3D modeling. Without paying autodesk a penny.
It's about as free as Circuit Maker.

edit:
I know about FreeCAD. It's a whole different type of modeling. Scripted modling I would say.
I've downloaded many 3D cad tools. But eventually settled for an Fusion360 subscription at work because of their low price right now. And started using it at home for my 3D printer.

I learned freecad entirely from a deceased German dude on YouTube. I am an idiot and I can work it.

As for free, when the landlord grants you freedom, you are not free. You are a sharecropper.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:09:58 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 09:33:03 pm »
I'm just saying I lost work to Autodesk's "free" software because they changed their minds. That's not getting hot, that's fair warning.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline phs

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:54:04 pm »
Another note of praise for FreeCAD:  Have been using it for several years now, after having used many other CAD software, including Catia, Autocad, CadKey, TurboCAD, VariCAD (quite nice Linux commercial CAD software), and others.  If you're familiar with Catia, FreeCAD has a number of similarities, and is rather easy to switch to.

Here, it's frequently used in conjunction with KiCAD, for designing enclosures that can then be easily prototyped in-house (3D-printed), and/or sent out for production.  The .stl files it produces are clean, and it imports them well, also.  This makes it easy to work with existing CAD files for off-the-shelf enclosures, components, etc.

FreeCAD models are often imported into Blender, where they can be further tweaked with Blender’s powerful mesh tools, and then photo-quality renders are produced with Blender/LuxRender.  Animations are possible, too.  FreeCAD actually has some nice mesh tools of it’s own, as well.

FreeCAD is extremely capable, and almost all designs I do in it now are fully parametric, meaning that making changes to a model is simplified and efficient.  Parametric modeling is where it’s at for complex designs, and is one of FreeCADs most powerful assets.  At this point, I tend to use the built-in spreadsheet facility to hold all dimensions and formulas.  For most enclosures done here, if it is required to change dimensions, the changes just get typed in to the spreadsheet, and the entire model updates accordingly.  Changing the length, width and height of an enclosure is often as simple as updating just those three dimensions in the spreadsheet.  This greatly facilitates the re-use of existing models.  Parametric design, when learned and incorporated into the design process well, makes for extremely robust models, and saves a lot of time overall.  It’s truly a thing of beauty.

Learning FreeCAD is a great investment of time, because it can never be taken away from you, and the data files you generate with it aren't locked up in some proprietary format.  Plus, it’s cross-platform (no dependence on Windows – $$ saved/risks avoided), can be installed on as many workstations as needed, and something that clients love is that they can install it for free as well, to view or even edit designs as desired.  Also, it’s extremely scriptable, with powerful hooks built in for Python programming.  Of course KiCAD has the same advantages.

As was learned the hard way here, the big corporations all too often don't really care about the little guys, and if you have issues, as we did with the incompetent greedy crooks at Altium, you're completely screwed -- unless you happen to have the resources and time to threaten them with a lawsuit.  And, after generating thousands of people-hours of designs, who in their right mind would want to have them all dependent on a single corporation that you’re helpless to defend yourself against should they decide to hike up prices, discontinue support, move to the “cloud”, or even go out of business.  It’s much easier to sleep at night knowing that no matter what happens, it will always be possible to have full control over all design files, and that your company has no dependencies on other companies over which you have no control at all.

When Altium shafted us a few years back, we immediately moved everything over to KiCAD and will never even consider doing “business” with Altium again.  This is despite the fact that we had been loyal users and proponents of Altium for many years.  The use of FreeCAD, KiCAD, and lots of other Open Source software has provided a competitive advantage that eliminates having to deal with evil overlords.  The transition wasn’t completely smooth, and there are certainly some features in Altium and other CAD software that are occasionally missed, but there hasn’t been a single show-stopper yet, and the stress level has gone way way down.

Quick reality-check, though:  FreeCAD does have some rough edges, can be hard to fully grasp, and doesn’t have a lot of the hand-holding features that the big players have for a variety of functions.  The various features and capabilities are sometimes hard to find, and can be quirky.  And, it can be a little crashy until you get to know it (mainly if you tend to run the nightly build versions).  That said though, I’ve rarely found anything I really needed that FreeCAD was incapable of accomplishing, and once you learn your way around, it’s very robust and it’s possible to be quite efficient at cranking out designs.

Finally, FreeCAD seems to have a lot of active development going on, the forums are filled with experts who are extremely polite and helpful, and I predict it has a very bright future with lots of exciting developments already well in the wings.  There are some really smart folks working on several assembly toolsets, and FreeCAD has a myriad of useful modules and plugins that are worth exploring. 

And yes, I am VERY biased – especially after the horrid experiences with the big bullies out there that think they can own you...

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, bd139

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 01:11:36 pm »

You mean autodesk is leeching your designs and workflows to learn AI ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 01:15:10 pm »
The distinction of it being a service instead of a program is a rather important one. I've lost files and work to "free" Autodesk software before.

The competition has released your designs ?, or did autodesk delete your files ?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2019, 06:28:43 pm »
You mean autodesk is leeching your designs and workflows to learn AI ?

Can you explain your preoccupation with AI?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2019, 02:31:29 pm »
AI is just a marketing technique.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf