Author Topic: Interesting new range of pen style oscilloscopes at DealExtreme  (Read 10771 times)

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Interesting new range of pen style oscilloscopes at DealExtreme
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:00 pm »
While browsing my favorite junk store, I came across these things.
http://s.dx.com/search/OLED+Oscillographic+Pen
They range from 5MHz BW at 40MSPS to 50MHz BW at 400MSPS. Prices from $112 to $274.

They are claimed to be 500V P-P inputs but I don't think I would want to test that spec. in practice. 1megohm input impedance is not going to be very useful for some things but they look like they might have a place in some portable tool kits.

I have a couple of a the Oszifox Penscopes that are useful for probing around in simple circuits in the field. These look like much more useful scopes. I am thinking of buying one to see, but I hate throwing money away if they are hopeless junk as can be the case with many things DealExtreme.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:46:11 pm by Lightages »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Interesting new range of pen style oscilloscopes at DealExtreme
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »
Looks like a bit of a toy, and the higher bandwidth ones look rather overpriced, and the higher BW ones seem to have LESS memory depth than the cheapest one!
Also only 1M input impedance.
Could be useful in some limited circumstances I suppose.
Question is how often will one of these be adequate and not need a more full-spec scope.
Based on previous experience of gimmicky gear like this, I would be somewhat surprised if the user interface wasn't a complete dog.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:51:24 pm »
I was thinking that one of these could be something you keep in your pocket along with a pocket multimeter when you are running around doing things where it is not convenient to carry around a full tool kit. Like you said, limited usefulness...

The price is not that bad for these if they actually live up to their specs and work correctly and have user friendly interfaces.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »
Some years ago I  bought an 'OziFox' ProbeScope pen style oscilloscope but found it to be a bit of a disappointment. You couldn't easily see the display whilst probing a test point. I took it back to the retailer as that unit was quite expensive at the time. The retailer admitted that its a nice idea and a great gadget but lacked practicality due to display position and size. I still liked the idea of a very compact oscilloscope though. That is why I purchased the Velleman HPS140i pocket DSO with 40Ms/s. You can stand it on the bench or equipment and probe with ease using a conventional CRO probe  :)

The OziFox ProbeScope can be found here:

http://picotechitaly.8k.com/oszifox1/oszifox.html

I note that Pico Technology took a different approach. Their offering captures waveforms and displays them on a PC screen later.

http://www.picotech.com/handheld-oscilloscope.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:28:02 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:34:52 pm »
Yeah, I had an OsziFox - total joke- pathetic resolution and no internal battery.

Something I think is wrong about these new ones is the display is at the opposite end to the probe end, so you'll have to keep moving your eye focus between the probe and the display.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »
They come from the same mysterious Chinese company that also has the Luck-3 minature DSO http://realt.cn/

If you want to exercise your Chinese, http://realt.cn/ShowProduct.aspx?id=257&page=1 Datasheets are at the end of the page.

And the tiny Luck-3 DSO http://realt.cn/ShowProduct.aspx?id=189&page=1
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:22 am »
IMO having the display as part of the probe is always a bad idea, if you want to indulge yourself with a toy you might as well get a DSO Nano/Quad.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »
I am not trying to defend these scopes as I know nothing about them. When I got my Oszifox Penscopes I got them for around $30 each and they have proven more utility than that price. Yes they are very limited but their size makes them very easy to have wherever you might be.

These new ones are far better in specification and should be actually useful instruments if they work as advertised. And if so, they are far better tools than the Nanos. I do agree that pen style meters and scopes are not even ideal, but the portability and size are the benefit for the compromise.

Anyway, as I said I am not trying to promote these things nor defend them. They look like they are worth a look.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »
Some prodding sticks are OK sometimes, e.g. simple multimeters or the good old logic probe. But an oscilloscope? I doubt it.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »
Yes, looking a small screen buried inside the equipment you are trying troubleshoot is very much less than ideal. I agree.

On another note, the way the memory scales down as the model goes up leads me to think that these are all the same hardware with different firmware only or a flag or jumper set to change the model. The memory is probably interleaved more as the speed goes up.

Anyway, I am not willing to be the guinea pig this time.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »
Hi Lightages,

Please don't consider any of my comments as an attempt to 'bash' you or the probe scopes  :-[

I am pleased that you found the Oszifox useful. For $30 I would own one ! The one I bought cost almost GBP100 which is why I returned it when its limitations became clear.

The probe scopes that you have raised for comment are a good step forward from the older OsziFox but I thought it worth mentioning that I found the whole use of the pen style oscilloscope a little flawed in terms of ergonomics. Your comments on their compact format is very true and is why I own some pen style multimeter's. These pen scopes would need to be a good deal cheaper before I was tempted though. Thanks for bringing these devices to our attention for discussion. It was good to see that the OsziFox idea has been taken forward, even if there are issues with ergonomics.

With regard to the versions and possible common hardware platforms.... well as we have seen with Rigol, this is certainly a possibility.
I have just bought a used UNI-T UTD-1025C handheld colour 125MS/s DSO and noted in the manual that the manufacturer placed great emphasis on the serial number and model number dictating which firmware could be uploaded. Almost as though they were highlighting that the units stored serial number and model number were the key to the behaviour of the firmware and capabilities of the hardware (just like the Rigol DSO).  I have yet to find firmware for UNI-T DSO's for download and I expect these pen scopes would be the same situation, so it is unlikely that they could easily be upgraded in the manner of the Rigol DSO's....pity.

Best Wishes

Aurora
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:44:51 pm by Aurora »

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 04:12:30 am »
Hi Ligtages,

Please don't consider any of my comments as an attempt to 'bash' you or the probe scopes  :-[

No offense taken. I don't expect the world to agree with my opinions, only the smart people   ;)

Seriously though, I do understand the drawbacks of these types of devices. I welcome any considered comments and discussion. No worries. :)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
Spec summary - can't see the difference between the first two:
SP40 5MHz 40MSPS 32K $112
SPS2005 5MHz 40MSPS 32K $136
SPS2010 10MHZ 100msps 16K $212
SPS2025 25MHz 200MSPS 8K $232
SPS2050 50MHz 400MSPS 4K $274

Some have some wierd timebase settings at the high end, maybe to maximise display detail?

With a small display,  long memory will only be useful if you can scroll through it quickly.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 01:07:38 pm »
OK, my new-toy urge just made me order one.... review & teardown as soon as it arrives!

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »
Cool Mike! Now I don't have t be the guinea pig. Which one did you order? Personally I was considering the 25MHz model.

Perhaps the weird time base thing is due to optimizing the memory interleaving.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:48 am »
I almost succumbed to temptation as well....the gadget fiend in me almost got the better of me  ;)

I will be very interested to hear what the unit is like to use. I am presently using my little Velleman HPS140 and even bid on an old OsziFox probescope. The crazy thing is the old 20MHz OsziFox's sell for prices not far off those of the Pen probe being discussed here !  I know which I would buy.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 01:25:27 am »
ehm, produced in 2011 is fine, but the battery - check the dx pictures, "replace with HP spare 493202-001" ehm that's wired,
493202-001 is complettly different type of battery.

Mike,

which one you ordered?
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:23 am »
Six weeks later still no sign of it - showing "waiting for supplier". Order cancelled.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:44 am »
Six weeks later still no sign of it - showing "waiting for supplier". Order cancelled.

:(  I have been waiting for a long time for dealextreme to progress with an order. I wonder what is going on with them. Can Chines New YEar really account for such lousy service?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 01:16:38 pm »
Dealextreme cancelled and refunded my Paypal payment promptly. Pity - would have liked to see this - if it's real I'm sure it will surface eventually.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
DealExtreme still says "Delivery:    Typically ships in 4 to 7 days" on their web page for these pens. I'd love to see their definition of typical.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:43 pm »
I ordered 4 items from them on 10th january... only one has shipped and is arrived...
they are all marked as in stock ...
they really increase they delay actually...not a good thing.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:37 am »
On the old site, it showed who the supplier is that listed it: "Listed by Supplier: OPURSTECH, added on 12/25/2011."    (must've been a lonely christmas day)

The new DX.com layout doesn't have it. It does have this though  ::)

Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information, availability information may become out of date and may change between the time you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.

A quick google reveals...

"YangLight, YWLiveStyle, YWToys and OPURSTECH are all aliases of Yang, a supplier which is becoming more and more known for not supplying products for anything up to 10 weeks (or more) after the products are first listed on DX. If the item in listed as "In Stock: ships in 2 to 4 days" DX probably has it already so it should be shipped quickly. However, if it's a Yang product and it's listed as "Typically ships in 4 to 7 days" then you can expect a long delay. The delayed Yang items may hold up the rest of an order."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:30:46 am by metalphreak »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf