Author Topic: I broke my Hakko FR-301 help needed  (Read 735 times)

Offline vholfTopic starter

I broke my Hakko FR-301 help needed
« on: October 14, 2022, 11:43:48 pm »
I accidentally plugged in my Hakko FR-301 Desoldering Tool, rated 120V, into a 220V outlet.

I turned it on and I heard a "click", then I immediately turned it off. I then plugged it in to a 120V transformer to test it, and at least the pump is working fine. It started heating up for a bit, but then it stopped heating altogether.

I opened it up for a visual inspection and there is no visible damage on the PCB or anywhere.

According to this post, all I would need is a heating element.

I'm looking for opinions and thoughts regarding this being the part needed, and help understanding what exactly fails in this heating element, can the part itself be repaired?

Thank you.

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
Re: I broke my Hakko FR-301 help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 08:56:42 pm »
It makes sens that the heating element would fail. It's a resistance powered by mains voltage and most likely controlled by a triac. Basically it overheated and the resistive wire inside melted (think of it like how an old incandescent light bulb dies). You'd need some way to mend the wire that can also withstand the heat. Maybe it's doable with specialized tools but IMO you're better off replacing the part. It's a consumable after all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf