Author Topic: chinese writing on DS1052E  (Read 3791 times)

Offline willbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
chinese writing on DS1052E
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »
Hello!

I know the DS1052E has been discussed to death on this forum, and I didn't want to start a new topic regarding the DS1052E, but I did search and did not find anything pertaining to my questions...

I have ordered a 1052E after watching Dave's review on youtube and browsing this forum. I bought mine through eBay from Aidetek, who claims to be an authorized Rigol distributor (and are listed as such on Rigol's website). I received it today, and noticed a few odd things.

Firstly, my unit has Chinese characters on the front bezel above the LCD screen. Something I have never noticed on other units. The words "digital oscilloscope" under the DS1052E are gone. And on the back of my unit, the model is listed as DS1052E-CN. It also did not come in a Rigol box but did come with the software on CD, probes, and a calibration certificate in Chinese. It seems to operate like any other 1052E, running firmware 2.06 and hardware version 58.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a unit like mine with these slight differences? I am probably being overly worried, but I simply want to make sure I have a legit Rigol product and not some counterfeit one. Here are some pictures.

I am just curious as I can not find pictures/video's of the DS1052E with the same casing as mine.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: chinese writing on DS1052E
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:12:53 pm »
I think it is very unlikely that yours is counterfeit. You would be the first one ever known having a counterfeit Rigol. Ironically it was Rigol who tried to scare people away from cheap grey imports from China, claiming there could be counterfeit oscilloscopes. However, not even Rigol showed a counterfeit oscilloscope.

For me it looks more as if Rigol has started to brand and package oscilloscopes differently for the domestic chinese market and for the international market. And Aidetek did send you one intended for the chinese market. Why an official US distributor does this? No idea. Maybe they got a wrong shipment. Or maybe they did import some oscilloscopes by themselves for their eBay business.

I have dealt with Aidtek in the past, and they were OK. You could try to ask them about the differences. And since you got it via eBay you could check if all the accessory they promised on eBay made it to you. If not you could ask them to ship the missing items, or else ...
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
If they are the company I am thinking of, they have a different ebay store (exact same layout/products) except under a different username and are located in Hong Kong. I suspect they operate locally in both locations. A lot of sellers have the scopes dropshipped directly from Asia anyway.

I've also noted that Dave's scope has the "Ultrazoom" logo on the front which mine doesn't have. Mine also says 50Mhz 1GSa/s like yours. I guess someone at Rigol gets bored every now and then, and decides to change the label :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:36:19 pm by metalphreak »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
I'm curious, what type of box did it ship in,  did it have no labels or labels for something else?  Are the probes Rigol badged probes?

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:06:34 pm »
If they are the company I am thinking of, they have a different ebay store (exact same layout/products) except under a different username

smtzone
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:23:55 pm »
The words "digital oscilloscope" under the DS1052E are gone.

That's because it's in Chinese (white on light blue) to the right. So this model may have been manufactured for the Chinese market.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf