Author Topic: Bypassing BMS to Increase Discharge Rate of LiFePO4 12v/45aH Battery  (Read 1334 times)

Offline TekjiveTopic starter

• Contributor
Hey all, so I got lucky and scored quite a few Power Sonic PSL-12450E LiFePO4 lithium batteries along with a Ametek Powervar ABCE150-11M2 power inverter/data link 🤤 But after reviewing data sheet I see the discharge rate is maxed @ 25amps, not nearly enough for what I want to use them for. I bought them with the intentions of using them as my trunk battery bank for car audio (I tinker in all “electronic” fields, currently self teaching Class D amp repair:) so I want to remove/bypass the current limiter to max out the discharge rate, longevity is not what I am after here, do not care if it’s reduced battery life from 10+ years to 1+ year, but ya know a few years out of them would be cool 😅 so my goal is to charge them fully (currently charging each to max using my lab PS @ 14.6v/3a) They do have a battery capacity gauge that displays at push of a button, which I’d like to keep if possible, but main goal is to remove current discharge limiter and run 3-5 in parallel as my trunk battery bank, and of course safety is key, which I’m sure won’t be a problem with what I want to do, my stock alt (14.4v110a) with no upgrades is why I need such a large battery bank, I want to run about 3.5kW RMS.

Any help/advice/insight, etc would be GREATLY appreciated, my budget dictates cheap as possible and this is a huge score for me, I think I have whatever needed to convert these (solder station, PC, etc) and by chance can this be programmed to remove limiter with the inverter, which has the datalink ports the batteries do and usb to connect to Pc, just an idea but don’t know if it’s possible. Thx all, best group on the net 😎

Rich

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Bypassing BMS to Increase Discharge Rate of LiFePO4 12v/45aH Battery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 12:31:37 am »
You'll need to:
- Disassemble the battery to the point that you can analyze the BMS to see if its capable of 70A+. If it isn't, full BMS replacement required (~$40-80 each).
- Analyze the cells, to ensure they can handle 90A+.

If you don't care about it lasting a few years, sell them off and buy 2-3 lead-acid batteries. Then at least someone will be able to use them as intended.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Tekjive

Offline TekjiveTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:13:55 am »
Ya I’m not looking to spend more, might have been a big for nothing post lol, thx for the advice tho, looking like it’s gona be a flip. Thx

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 03:01:59 am »
Take a look at R/C lipos or EV battery modules if you want a lot of current for cheap. Quite a few doing car audio use 4S packs which operate at about 16V.

Or perhaps just go with higher voltage at a lower current. Large amplifiers all internally boost the voltage, so why not just supply that higher voltage to begin with?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf