Author Topic: best peice of gear dave jones forgot to mention  (Read 11001 times)

Offline ftransformTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
best peice of gear dave jones forgot to mention
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:00 pm »
the haemostat.

This is a simply wondeful tool to have in the lab. For electronics work I find it simply eons above any kind of pliers.

If you don't have a pair of these then get them. I don't use the locking function much, but a pair of slim delicate pliers like that is just wonderful. They make test equipment repair soooo much more pleasurable.

One of the best 5$ you will ever spend.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: best peice of gear dave jones forgot to mention
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:34:57 pm »
If you don't use locking function then this sits somewhere between needle nose pliers and blunt tip tweezers?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:09:11 am »
the haemostat.

When I was in College these had a quite different use... 

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:39:32 am »
Even better to have a set modified to grip wires like this

My how to thread here

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:25 am »
http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Low-Vision-Product/Professional-Magnifiers/Magna-Visor

I live in mine when I'm doing electronic or instrument work.  When I REALLY need to get close up, I take everything off (including my glasses) and take advantage of my horrid near-sightedness, but 99% of the time, I'm wearing one of these.

Offline DigiGal

• Contributor
  • Failure Is Not An Option
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:07:04 am »
http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Low-Vision-Product/Professional-Magnifiers/Magna-Visor

I live in mine when I'm doing electronic or instrument work.  When I REALLY need to get close up, I take everything off (including my glasses) and take advantage of my horrid near-sightedness, but 99% of the time, I'm wearing one of these.

I had been using one of these and/or lighted magnifier lamp for years... 
Donegan OptiSIGHT VISOR (3x, 4x, 5x power)

Very recently I picked up a Mantis Compact and no regrets, it's working out much nicer.  Mantis is running a discount on the compact this summer that ends sometime in November.
http://www.visioneng.us/mantis-3d-inspection-microscope-landing.php

Offline cthree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:22 am »
the haemostat.

Look for the ones with burnt ends.  :-DD

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:18:52 am »
Medical equipment for sure. It so happens that my lady works at Vascular & Endovascular Surgery Block :). They usually have those huge kits, different kind for each different procedure. And it never happens, that all the tools are used during the procedure. Since the package had been already opened, they are not fit for medical use anymore despite being sterile and never having made contact with patient's body fluids. And here comes the best part: those tools are disposable - they are made of high quality stainless steel, most are ground/polished afterwards and they are disposable. Since they are disposable, they do not re-sterilize them and repackage, they just throw them out (which means it's totally legal, because thechnically they have been scrapped by hospital, but do not count as medical waste).

-all sorts of pliers/clamps (both metal and plastic ones)
-various trays, bowls
-syringes & needles (for flux, ipa, etc)
-scalpels
-gloves and faceshields (necessary when doing your own pcbs)
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:11 am »

Very recently I picked up a Mantis Compact and no regrets, it's working out much nicer.  Mantis is running a discount on the compact this summer that ends sometime in November.
http://www.visioneng.us/mantis-3d-inspection-microscope-landing.php

That's actually kind of sexy in a Star Trek sort of way.  Dang.  How comfortable is the stereo viewing?  Do you have to keep your head fixed very still, or is there a pretty wide range that works?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:27:41 am by John Coloccia »

Offline DigiGal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »
That's actually kind of sexy in a Star Trek sort of way.  Dang.  How comfortable is the stereo viewing?  Do you have to keep your head fixed very still, or is there a pretty wide range that works?

The Mantis Compact is the model down from the Mantis Elite.  Be sure to watch Dave's Blog entry on the Mantis Elite, links below.  The stereo viewing is extremely comfortable, I'm very nearsighted like you and wear progressive eyeglasses so traditional stereo microscopes are no good for me.  Moving your head is not a problem and this enhances the 3D viewing giving you a look from different angles.   

EEVblog #390 – Mantis Elite Microscope Review

Forum topic for EEVBlog #390

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:28:50 pm »
I hadn't noticed the link to the Mantis.  Thanks!

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
So anyone have a good source for these haemostat things?  My usual source, ebay, doesn't show much...

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 02:31:23 am »
Try different spelling as here

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 02:36:26 am »
Perfect thanks.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:15:07 am »
In the UK they are called artery forceps the medical profession calls them Spencer Wells forceps or spencer wells artery forceps.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »
Holy, geez...that Mantis thing is >$3,000.  Woweeee.  Well, if my next product takes off, I'll be soldering boards basically morning, noon and night for some time to come, so it'll be worth it and I'll consider one then.

Offline DigiGal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 05:45:02 pm »
Holy, geez...that Mantis thing is >$3,000.  Woweeee.  Well, if my next product takes off, I'll be soldering boards basically morning, noon and night for some time to come, so it'll be worth it and I'll consider one then.

Exactly why I took advantage of the special running this summer on the Mantis Compact for only $1380 plus shipping.  At this price it's worth every penny for the work I do but I couldn't personally justify jumping up to the Elite model that Dave reviewed. 

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 05:51:33 am »
OP: I don't know how you get any projects done if that's your most important tool  ;)

Seriously though, I would love to get one of those Mantis microscopes too, but doubt I could afford it before that sale ends. Maybe they will go on sale again (or something similar) once my bank accounts get replenished a little bit. /sigh

The headband magnifiers are troublesome since I also have to wear prescription spectacles and never use contacts (allergy).

duskglow

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 06:01:23 am »
It's funny how I can go to the surplus place and find a little tool, and think "oh, that's useful!"  I have all sorts of little tools I picked up that way that make my life easier, like a magnifying sheet, etc.

But the thing I use the most?  I picked up an old emulator and took it apart.  The most useful parts I got out of it were two powder-coated metal trays with rubber feet.  They are PERFECT for holding a board over when I go over it with a hot air gun - the parts just fall out and right into the tray, and since it's metal, it's a great heat conductor and the parts stay relatively unaffected.  The trays were originally for holding a circuit board to hold the chips in to program, but they're one of the few things I use every single time I sit down at the bench.  Another useful things are those docks for holding laptops in with the CRT stand, they make excellent test equipment stands and even have room underneath for storing screwdrivers, breadboards, etc.  They're rated at 100 lbs so I'm more likely to screw up the table before I break those.  I'm probably going to go to the surplus shop tomorrow, take advantage of their sale, and pick up a whole boatload of little plastic vials for storing screws, parts, etc., in.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:02:58 am by duskglow »

Offline Winston

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 04:23:30 pm »

For those in the US with a local Harbor Freight store, these are cheap and useful for inspection and SMD work.  I own an earlier version without the lights which I don't need anyway:

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:42 am »
OP: I don't know how you get any projects done if that's your most important tool  ;)

Seriously though, I would love to get one of those Mantis microscopes too, but doubt I could afford it before that sale ends. Maybe they will go on sale again (or something similar) once my bank accounts get replenished a little bit. /sigh

The headband magnifiers are troublesome since I also have to wear prescription spectacles and never use contacts (allergy).

I've actually never had a problem wearing mine over my glasses.  I wore contacts for many many years, but I've gone back to wearing glasses and haven't noticed a problem ever.  Mine seem to work perfectly well.  In fact, I much preferred them when I didn't need to get TOO up close because the relief on many binocular microscopes is problematic with glasses.  I just preferred to toss on the cyclops headband and work like that.  Have you tried a good, name brand set of headband magnifiers?  Specifically, I wear an OptiVisor with a 2x magnifier...10" focal length.  That's about perfect for PCB work, IMHO.  After 5 minutes, I forget I'm wearing it, but it's just the right amount of magnification and focal length that it feels very very natural.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »
The DA-4 model? No, I don't think that I've tried those. Does the headband adjust out a good ways? I errr ummm lets just say I have a hard time finding hats that aren't too small...

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 11:58:23 pm »
I have a bunch of different lenses for it, but I use the DA-4 the most.  That's the 2x with 10" working distance.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having a problem fitting it on their head, though if your particular head is...uhm...unusual (LOL), I guess it's possible that it won't fit.  It might not hurt to just try one and return it if it doesn't work out.

Offline jvdb

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:15 pm »
In the spirit of odd/useful recommendations. These are great for cable management:

3M Command Cord Bundlers

Offline Chalky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 01:28:07 am »
the haemostat.
Hahahaaaa!  Nice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf