Author Topic: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?  (Read 265000 times)

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
Re: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2022, 01:32:11 pm »
Did you test it with another cable? Sometimes those cheap cables may give strange problems.
Did you try to boot your pc with the device already connected?

Offline damanloox

• Contributor
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2022, 01:52:42 pm »
Yep - tested with several cables... Booting with the station connected doesn't go far - reboots before login screen..
I think it's the driver - I'm getting "system thread exception not handled" on blue screen of death... Which is strange as it's fresh install of W10. Maybe it's USB chipset that's "not compatible" with aixun driver...

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2022, 06:12:41 pm »
Did the driver install correctly?  Does it show up in the device manager?  Maybe reinstall it with Win7 compatibility?   For whatever reason, I've had a few things that didn't like Win10, and running it with Win7 compatibility worked.

Offline JojoS

• Software Engineer, Industrial Measuring Gauges
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2022, 10:28:04 pm »
I've stepped thru the menu (T3A, V1.25) and found 'dormancy show'. It says you can add some user display for dormancy mode, but howto? In the Aixun app, I see some custom settings for colors and fonts. Has someone tried this killer feature?

edit:
ok, got it. You can just enter some text with custom color and font, no custom image.
Not very usefull... And it looks like it switches only every second time to the custom screen.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:47:20 pm by JojoS »

Offline mauro2319

« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2022, 09:05:02 am »
Hi everyone, new to this forum, i am also looking forward to this soldering station, however i wanted to know if some of you (guess it was discussed before, but couldn't find it in the 17 pages of discussion) is aware if this soldering station will have some tip profile management like KSGER station does, so independant for each tip type ?
That would make this station even more attractive for me.
Thanks

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2022, 02:31:03 pm »
no this one does not have the tip management like the ksger does. it senses which handle you use based on the resistance inside the handle otherwise it doesnt know a knife tip from a conical.

The following users thanked this post: mauro2319

Offline OriginalDan

• Contributor
« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2022, 02:57:12 pm »
Just ordered a Aixun T3A as my first iron based on SteveyG videos, i briefly had a 888d but returned it when i read they're not good for pc motherboards that soak up heat.
any suggested pre flight tests when it arrives?

funnily enough i found if ya get the old stand bundle and the new stand separate it was a few dollers cheaper than the new stand bundle kit, which means free old stand for 2nd iron tweezer situations, well if this one doesn't die on me.
(don't know how the conversion is for other country's but links:
t3a https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003327781905.html with gst $186.86aud
newer t3a stand https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003788350217.html $42.66 aud

Are the clone tips still hit or miss? for Australia branded clone tips linked earlier in the thread are $25-$30ea but genuine tips locally $40ea+ so a 10 to 15 difference aient much unless i get nonamed around $15ea or cheaper at $11ish ea in 4x6x or10x packs but they do include a lot of undesirable tips.
Locally i found 6x genuine tips for $165 or $27.5ea https://www.oritech.com.au/jbc-c245-advanced-soldering-tip-kit.html I'm a 5 minute drive from this place.
that'd make the clones kind of pointless, although that lot includes 2x conicals and correct me if I'm wrong aren't conicals rarely used by folks here compared to wedge/horseshoe types? Ill contact em see if they can swap the 2 with others, speaking of any suggested tips? ill still try to use up the included ones for however long they last.

is a calibration tool required? reading through this thread seems clone tips are 20-30c lower which seems fine for most applications?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:00:29 pm by OriginalDan »

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2022, 04:26:20 pm »
definately get the genuine tips for sure. As for getting a calibration device... that would be most cheap on the RST FG-100 from aliexpress. IDK if you really need it or not but for sure spend the money on genuine tips above all else / above any other accessory. is the best way to spend any extra dollars after budgeting on the main station itself

The following users thanked this post: OriginalDan

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2022, 06:53:20 pm »
no this one does not have the tip management like the ksger does. it senses which handle you use based on the resistance inside the handle otherwise it doesnt know a knife tip from a conical.

Are there different profiles for different types of handles then? Or is there only a single temperature adjustment?

The following users thanked this post: mauro2319

Offline Serpent10i

« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2022, 09:18:59 pm »
What size is the 24v DC barrel jack on the back?

I'm looking to make a fume extractor based on the 24v jack and then automate it based on the on/off signal from the base.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2022, 10:01:11 pm »
nope. you do have three presets but thats about it it will adjust based on which handle is plugged in power wise but there is nothing per each handle type. either way it works great for the money. i do tend to use my ksger with the custom firmware for t12 stuff though and i use these for 245 handles most of the time. if i dont feel like switching stations (i have them setup pretty much right next to each other so not a big deal) ill use these for t12 in some cases. where this station most excels at though imo is 245 tips.

The following users thanked this post: JohanH, mauro2319

Offline mauro2319

« Reply #411 on: February 23, 2022, 08:38:15 am »
Three presets is already something let's say.
I am wondering what exactly is the difference between 245 and T12 tip technology. I have to read some material i am really clueless about those new soldering station technologies, i am still using an old 50W Weller station, but now i am done, especially digging the whole internet to find good tips for the LR21 handle.

Offline imqqmi

« Reply #412 on: March 01, 2022, 05:19:15 pm »
Just received the Aixun T3A with a T245 handle and the new stand. I've bought 2 genuine JBC tips separately  as well, a hoof/well type tip (drag soldering) and a high mass 5mm chisel tip for large copper planes soldering and de-soldering.

Two foam sleeves have been supplied with the station, I've ordered also a pair in case it wasn't supplied, I'll keep that as spare. Getting it on was a bit of a hassle. In the end I've used a piece of plastic sheet 0.27mm thick, cut a strip and rolled in into a spiral with a point, then slipped the foam sleeve on it, pushed the handle in the wide end of the plastic until the foam was in place, then removed the plastic sheet.

I've measured all 5 tips using a multi meter with k type probe that came with the meter. I'm probably really lucky that all tips are within 3 degrees of what the display says it should be :) I've set it to 350 degrees and measured between 347 to 352*C depending on the tip (wetted with 40/60 solder).
All the tips overshoot on display around 30-35 degrees. When measuring the chisel tip, it overshoots 50 degrees to 400*C when setpoint was 350*C when measured with the k type probe. It gradually drops back to 350 over 10-20 seconds.

The 5mm chisel tip takes 5 seconds from cold (20 degrees) to heat up. The smaller tips take about 3 seconds. The unit came with the 1.25 firmware. The firmware was set to Chinese but it's not hard to set it to English once I knew how the interface worked (not very intuitive but doable).

De-soldering electrolyte caps from an old dead mainboard was a lot easier compared to my Aoyue Int 866 unit, which has a 60W iron. The tip temperature of the 866 drops quickly when touching a lead connected to a large ground plane. You can feel it sticks to the solder. With the T3A it wetted immediately, took about 5-10 seconds for the heat to reach the other side of the board and the lead came out without a problem.
I've wicked some solder off an FR1 perf board. No pads lifted and the pads were easy to clean up. De-soldered a small DPAK from the same mainboard using some extra solder and came off pretty easily. It makes a big difference in how easy it heats up components and passes the heat through the component to the other pads, making it easy to de-solder.

I'm not sold on the stand for swapping tips, it's made of plastic. I might put some copper tape in the hole to prevent tips from melting the plastic when it drops in the hole. The silicone protection thingy for the metal curls to wipe the tip doesn't really work for me. It also seems not to remove solder as effectively as the one from the Aoyue 866.

As for noise, I can hear it humming if I hold it right next to my ear when heating up from cold at full power. The noise comes from within the handle it seems, not the tip. Could be that the connector holding the cartridge in place resonates due to the current passing through it, perhaps even sparking? In normal use I don't hear the hum.

The 866 and T3A are similarly priced (215 vs 180 euro), but you get a pre-heater and hot air (both 400W) as well. I'll be keeping the 866 when I need hot air, pre-heater or need a different tip ready for use or use it to de-solder smd caps and resistors.

All in all I'm very pleased with it so far, this will open up a lot more demanding soldering stuff I can do with it and the quality of the joints should be a lot better as well.

I want to thank all the posters in this thread, a lot of valuable information to base your decision on to buy this or not and what the caveats are.

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2022, 10:07:02 pm »
I was about to post the same as imqqmi because I've received my T3A (V1.25) too and with the new stand.
1430458-0
I also bought two extra real JBC 245 tips and I'm glad I did because they are way better then the ones included with the station.
The humming is clearly present in the handle and the station itself but not quite annoying, but still audible. It's humming every second/2seconds so not only during startup.
The soldering quality of the station itself is fine but the inductor was broken which I secured with hot glue because it was still functional. While the station was open I've already replaced the caps and soldered the faston terminals because they were very loose and the wrong size. 1430464-1
I didn't lift the front panel because I've disconnected the connector from the rear.

These are the caps I ordered which fit perfectly:

C1- 82 uf 400v --> RUBYCON  400BXW82MEFR18X25  Electrolytic Capacitor, Miniature, 82 µF, 400 V, ± 20%, Radial Leaded, 12000 hours @ 105°C
C2 - 10 uf 50v --> NICHICON  UPM1H100MDD1TD  Electrolytic Capacitor, 10 µF, 50 V, ± 20%, Radial Leaded, 2000 hours @ 105°C
C7 and C8 - 1000 uf 35v --> RUBYCON  35PK1000MEFCT810X20  Electrolytic Capacitor, Miniature, 1000 µF, 35 V, ± 20%, Radial Leaded, 2000 hours @ 85°C
C10 - 470 uf 35v --> NICHICON  UPW1V471MPD1TD  Electrolytic Capacitor, 470 µF, 35 V, ± 20%, Radial Leaded, 5000 hours @ 105°C

New caps: 1430470-2
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:20:40 pm by SHTechnics »

The following users thanked this post: SAGOLSEN, GnomeZA

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2022, 10:19:01 pm »
I also saw that the hardware version is now 1.2 instead of 1.1 like the one SteveyG posted.
1430476-0

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2022, 11:45:43 pm »
huh i wonder what the differences are between the 1.1 and 1.2? especially since they seem to take the same firmware they have not released separate firmware for the different versions. im curious what the revision was for. ill have to double check mine again i think they are all v1.1

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #416 on: March 05, 2022, 12:28:48 am »
huh i wonder what the differences are between the 1.1 and 1.2? especially since they seem to take the same firmware they have not released separate firmware for the different versions. im curious what the revision was for. ill have to double check mine again i think they are all v1.1

I'll see if I can compare them tomorrow. At first glance they seem the same.

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2022, 12:41:48 am »
After a quick look: 1430647-0

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2022, 03:54:58 am »
huh i wonder why the extra d8. and seems like the fix the one kind of botch up they had on the v1 with a new layout otherwise they seem the same from that. ill have to pull a few apart tomm we have here. the guys actually use these daily in the shop they have for a few months now without any issues. one even brought his jbc home to keep this on his desk here instead lol. its so odd that none of the ones we have had seem to have any significant humming from the handles at all (over 20 of them). ill swap the caps when i open them also i wasnt going to but may as well if they are opened up.

will a 25mm cap fit c7 and c8? i just checked and the panasonics i have are 25mm if not ill have to order a few more. thoughts? appreciate it

edit just opened a few of the ones i have here they are all 1.1 and i think the 25mm should fit. ill pull a board out tomm and measure it
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 08:20:07 am by mastershake »

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2022, 12:00:08 pm »
They successfully redesigned that part to avoid the former botch up and even the soldering is of a higher quality. When I have the time I'll check out the reason for the new D8.

25mm for C7/8 will not be a problem because the C1 82 µF, 400 V next to them is already 25mm.

EDIT: after a look at my pictures it seems D8 is connected with the source of the mosfet and the -ground.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 12:49:50 pm by SHTechnics »

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2022, 01:07:12 pm »
hmm i wonder if we should add that to v1.1 in the circuit i wonder why they needed it to be there i wish i had a 1.2v board to check out. i may have to order a newer one but who is to say ill get a 1.2 now or they will send the older 1.1

Offline SHTechnics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2022, 07:40:55 pm »
I bought mine on AliExpress at the 'easy100fix Store', so maybe they have the latest versions.

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2022, 08:20:25 pm »
thats where some of ours came from one i just got last week i checked was still v1.1 so right now it seems to be hit and miss. i may wait another month or more so hopefully the v1.1 stock is all gone. the rest came from a us seller wholesale

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #423 on: March 06, 2022, 07:05:06 am »
The new D8 on v1.2 is just protection, and prevents Q3 from shorting to ground.  As per earlier discussions, Q3 is totally adequate, but if it fails, you'll burn out your tip.  Functionally, I'm not seeing a difference between V1.1 and 1.2.  Now if Q3 is beefier in V1.2, it's a QoL improvement, but still the same functionally.

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #424 on: March 06, 2022, 07:14:04 am »
Or it's reverse bias protection, to keep Q3 stable at higher temperatures? Not sure where the trace is going.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf