Author Topic: Ersa RDS 80 soldering station: small rant  (Read 4365 times)

Offline CricriTopic starter

• Contributor
Ersa RDS 80 soldering station: small rant
« on: December 24, 2018, 06:08:55 pm »
So years ago when I upgraded from my Maplin bought Antex 25W soldering iron, I went "all in" (for me anyway) and bought a 2nd hand Ersa RDS 80 soldering station.
It's great, except for one teeny weeny thing: the iron's got a blooming PVC sheath cable! :rant:
Not impressed. Needless to say, I do not recommend it, even though for the small amount of hobbyist work I do, I make it do.

I'd have gone for a Weller, but wanted something with a mains fuse on ;) Not sure if it's got one actually!

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: Ersa RDS 80 soldering station: small rant
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 07:43:12 pm »
so replace the cable, it's cheap @ banggood.

i'm surprised you didnt have to yet, most of my irons have had cable-breaks just after the handle after a few years or so and had to be re-done.

The following users thanked this post: Cricri

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:56 pm »
If I was using my iron on a daily basis, I probably would. Also, even though I've seen someone replacing the PVC cable with a PTFE one, there's always the chance to ruin the iron. Also, to replace the cable, I'd need... an iron!
My dad did tell me he had a length of PTFE cable lying around I could have, but it was only 2 conductors, and I'm pretty sure mine needs 3 for the thermocouple.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »
Yes, the standard handles which come with the RDS80 have rather crappy cables. Fortunately you can upgrade the handle to a better one. It is called the 'basic tool 80' and costs around 65 euro. This has a flexible cable (but I didn't try heat resistance).
https://www.ersa-shop.com/ersa-l%C3%B6tkolben-basic-tool-p-2267.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:48:27 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Cricri

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 03:44:09 am »

i'm surprised you didnt have to yet, most of my irons have had cable-breaks just after the handle after a few years or so and had to be re-done.

Ditto. I've broken several internally. On my latest (Ersa iCon) I used some Sugru to make a nice tapered strain relief about an inch and a half long. No problems with that so far after several years.

The following users thanked this post: Cricri

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
I didn't realise Ersa do some replacement irons with Teflon cable!
Well, if I ever ruin the cable, I'll buy one of them then. I'm careful not to kink it, and I don't use it much, so it might take a while :D Maybe a birthday or xmas pressie gift idea for the wife!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:10:30 pm »
It is more likely silicone wire. I just check and the cable from the 'basic tool' is resistant against the temperature of a soldering tip.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:51:03 pm »

Ditto. I've broken several internally. On my latest (Ersa iCon) I used some Sugru to make a nice tapered strain relief about an inch and a half long. No problems with that so far after several years.
i-tool cable won't break as it is.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 08:01:43 pm »
I only paid about £85 for the soldering station though, so don't want to pay an extra £60 ish for an iron/cable I would have expected to get to start with when buying a "quality" unit.
Maybe I should have done more research before buying, so I've charged it on the "lesson learnt" budget :) Heck, for the £60, I might be able to get a used Weller unit.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »

i-tool cable won't break as it is.

Maybe not, but after breaking several cables from other irons, I'd rather not risk it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf