Author Topic: RJ-45 CAT6 cable crimping - tools, supplies...  (Read 430 times)

Offline bsonTopic starter

• Supporter
RJ-45 CAT6 cable crimping - tools, supplies...
« on: September 23, 2024, 09:21:38 pm »
What do I need to get started with my own CAT6 RJ-45 crimping?  The closest I've done is I suppose ribbon cables in 0.100" pitch, but never RJ plugs of any flavor.  I see tons of stuff on Amazon for like < $50 - is this any good?  Do you have something that works reliably?  Do you have a cable tester just to check connectivity? Specialized insulation strippers, or just cut the sheath with a knife and use my Knipex on the wires?  What's good cable and connectors?  Just looking for recommendations for very low volume needs.  I just once in a blue moon need a cable for something and it would be nice to just measure out cable in situ, then cut it and add connectors.  Easier to run through walls this way, too.

Thoughts, ideas?  Is cheaping out a bad idea, or are there perfectly okay cheap tools that work?  It doesn't have to have a lifespan of 10000 crimps or anything.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: RJ-45 CAT6 cable crimping - tools, supplies...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 10:26:50 pm »
Is it great? No. Does it work well enough if you just do a few? Yeah

You can read the instructions and reviews on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Solsop-Ethernet-Crimper-Crimping-Connectors/dp/B0B6FGY947/
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Crimper-Connectors-Crimping-Included/dp/B09JYTBDXN/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2024, 11:25:26 pm »
Do you have a cable tester just to check connectivity?
It depends, sometimes I won't check, because it's rare for something to go wrong if the tools are already reliable, and you can visually inspect, and then just try it for real. Besides, the simple cable testers only check for continuity anyway, which you could do with a multimeter (just poking the test probes gently against the visible contacts) if you've got both ends of the cable nearby. I have a slightly better cable tester (something called PockEthernet) but that's excessive unless you're in a career where you're working more intensively with the cables.

Specialized insulation strippers, or just cut the sheath with a knife and use my Knipex on the wires?
Actually you just need to strip the sheath, and any craft knife can do that. The insulation on the wires is to remain (the metal contacts dig through the insulation).

What's good cable and connectors?
Any cable should be fine, provided it's advertized at supporting your needs. Cat5e ought to be sufficient (surprising to want to install Cat6 unless you're a network installer in which case you'll have better tools etc). Personally, I would try to get decent connectors though. There are huge tubs of very cheap connectors on Amazon etc., but I worry about the terminals being oxidized (I'm no metals expert though; I just want to eliminate the risk, and for the occasional cable, the cost of connectors from a reputable supplier is in the noise, if you don't need a lot). You'll want to check that the cable and connectors are both either for solid core or both stranded (i.e. the connectors are different for the two wire types). Also, for some luxury, you can get the soft plastic covers so that the lever on the plugs doesn't snag.

I just once in a blue moon need a cable for something and it would be nice to just measure out cable in situ, then cut it and add connectors.  Easier to run through walls this way, too.
Ordinarily through walls you'll be terminating to sockets, in which case you won't be needing the RJ45 crimp tool. But occasionally people do just use the plugs on both ends, it's not very orthodox, but whatever you feel comfortable with.

Also, despite having the tools, and cable, I still sometimes just buy the patch cables. They can be low-cost enough to always keep a few spare. But sometimes I will make them, and of course sometimes a non-standard cable might be needed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 11:27:11 pm by shabaz »

Online BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 01:53:10 am »
Avoid the cheap copper clad aluminum or steel wire, pure copper wire cost is mostly in the copper so it's usually worth it to just buy the good branded stuff at whatever local store sells it the cheapest.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 04:43:58 am »
What do I need to get started with my own CAT6 RJ-45 crimping? ...

Thoughts, ideas?  Is cheaping out a bad idea, or are there perfectly okay cheap tools that work?  It doesn't have to have a lifespan of 10000 crimps or anything.

I like to make my own short cables, for equipment that is closely packed near a switch (rpis and so on).

I've used Platinum Tools connectors without a problem e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI9VTS/
Crimp tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00939KFOU/

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 10:15:51 pm »
Cool, will be trying one of those inexpensive tools, also got 100 ft of pure copper CAT5e CMR jacketed cable which should be plenty for my various patch and interconnect needs!

And, yeah, of course I won't be stripping the wires.  What was I thinking?! :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 10:24:04 pm by bson »

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:45:17 am »
Well, success!  Just made my first cable and checked it with the cheapo little connectivity tester that came with the kit, then plugged it in and sure enough it works just fine.  I used the connectors that came with the kit.

This is the kit I got:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6FGY947?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

And this cable (100ft):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDPPC4XZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

This is going to be super handy to get just the right cable lengths...

The following users thanked this post: shabaz, thm_w

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:36:02 am »
Congrats! That turned out to be a very cost-effective tool. It looks good enough to hopefully provide many years of good service. It is very satisfying when the cable is "just right"!

A friend wanted an Ethernet cable for his son's games console, so I made him a custom one, with colored braid over the jacket (if you tape it tight at the ends (with Kapton tape), then it passes into the connector and then gets hidden by the plastic lever cover. Wish I had a photo to explain, but I forgot to take one at the time.

The attached photo is not the same thing, but shows the connector being used for a non-Ethernet purpose. It's a project that only I use so I don't mind the non-standardness there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf