Author Topic: Right angled 4 pins PWM fan header  (Read 1450 times)

Offline NilreugTopic starter

Right angled 4 pins PWM fan header
« on: November 27, 2023, 08:54:13 am »
Hello everyone, I am looking in vain for right angled PWM fan headers.

I know this topic has already been discussed here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/pcb-mount-header-for-computer-fans/ .

However, this answer doesn't suit me since they mention only straight PWM headers. Also, please note that I found such connector, but with the plastic tab covering all for pins and not only three pins as is the case for a PWM fan header.

At last, I did find some on Aliexpress, but I would much rather prefer a branded alternative: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832775621020.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

I thank you all for your attention!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline NilreugTopic starter

Re: Right angled 4 pins PWM fan header
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 04:28:22 pm »
Yes, I saw this thread on reddit, I just wanted to ask an expert audience. I guess I will go with the ali ones.

Thanks

Offline Gonzy78

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2024, 04:05:25 pm »
same issue.

Anyone found the good answer ?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2024, 07:40:51 am »
The original vertical part is Molex 47053-1000, a KK 254 series connector, where the friction lock part covers only the first three pins.  Molex does not manufacture a right-angle version.  For just one or two connectors, you can replace the pins from a Molex 47053-1000 with suitable (0.65mm×0.65mm cross section) right angle 2.54mm pins. The straight section needs to be 10mm long (not including the bend radius) as the pin needs to extend 7.5mm from the connector plastic surface.

There are many otherwise compatible sets from several large manufacturers, except that the friction lock is too wide.  It is about as difficult to re-pin the connector as shave the friction lock to correct width, because the friction lock end is directly in line with the third pin; so to do a good job, you'll end up having to at least push that one pin out, temporarily.  Alternatively, you can shave off the friction edge from the fan connector, although then you can accidentally connect the fan one pin off.

The reason for such an odd shape is for compatibility with three-pin (voltage-controlled) 12V PC fans.  Essentially, the bottom simply extends 2.54mm further, and adds a fourth pin.  Because of this, the KF2510 3+1pin male connectors should have compatible dimensions with the Molex 47053, 3-pin KF2510 being one series compatible with the 3-pin fan connectors.

I did a bit of digging at Aliexpress, and all the "KF2510 3+1pin" male right-angle connectors that I found definitely look correct.  (Many of the 4-pin KF2510 connectors have a too-wide friction lock, covering all four pins.)  Mostly I'd worry about the pin material itself, so I'd check the resistance and wettability with my favourite solder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf