Author Topic: 858D Hot Air Station and Asbestos Concern  (Read 1458 times)

Offline atw58Topic starter

858D Hot Air Station and Asbestos Concern
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:00:19 am »
I bought just the handle of the hot air station to match my own controller. When it was open I found a yellow fibrous thin insulating sleeve between the heating element and tube. There was some fibre strands along the edges of the sheet. Then when it was first turned on quite a bit of dust was blown out then smoke from the element. The insulation sheet looked a lot like the asbestos Bunsen burner mat in chemistry class eons ago.

Knowing China's record of dangerous materials, has anyone verified this isn't asbestos. A search of "asbestos" in the forum shows nothing related to this hot air handle.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:09:31 am by atw58 »

Offline ironsniper1

• Regular Contributor
Re: 858D Hot Air Station and Asbestos Concern
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:12 pm »
i know this thread is a little old but can anyone confirm or deny what the op is saying? i have the same unit and want to be sure it and me are safe

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:24:10 pm »
I wouldn't worry.  The way asbestos becomes unsafe is when it is handled.  It tends to flake apart and the dust can mess up your lungs.

Should you need to disassemble the unit, wear a face mask and eye protection and work in a well ventilated area.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:32:55 pm »
858D wand heating element is ceramic or mica sheet, and the insulator for the tube/sleeve is mica paper. It's the same construction as hairdryers, which no longer use asbestos.
Nothing yellow. Post pics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf