Author Topic: RIGOL you defeat me ..!! .... DP832 has found a new home !  (Read 1336 times)

Offline pedro48Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Black is just White without light
RIGOL you defeat me ..!! .... DP832 has found a new home !
« on: January 10, 2022, 12:56:46 am »
Hi all,

I have a Rigol DP832 programmable power supply, that has died, spent the past few months on the bench, and now needs a found a new home.

THE SITUATION

The DP832 suffered a dead short to the output terminals of Channel 1, taking out the usual suspects (The MOSFET, fuse and R52), all tested dead and now replaced. There is also at least one other fault. That is ~30v appear on the output with no voltage set and or the output enabled or disabled. This appears to be the Charge Pump being driven high at all times, and hence forcing the Triacs to enable. This may not be the only issue.

The digital board appears to be working, I can update the firmware and set voltages. From what I can tell the analog board appears to be the issue. I can see the 7060 microprocessor on the analog board signalling to the digital board. Earlier today I posted my reverse engineered schematic of Channel 1, so that might assist any would be repairer.

The DP832 has had only light work, though it has lived in hostile environment very close to the beach. It was 100% working immediately prior to the 'Accident'

The machine is intact, I have replaced one flat flex with a longer one, and bodged a ribbon cable extension, so I could work on it on the bench. I could not source a longer ribbon cable, or connectors despite buying numerous that looked close

THE OFFER

I'm offering to donate the DP832 ( Serial No DP8C153401504) free of charge to somebody on this forum. My preference is that it would be repaired, but once donated you are free to do what ever you like with it. The DP832 is currently in regional Victoria (AUS), and I'm happy to deliver it in Metro Melbourne free of charge, and possibly regional Vic, depending on time and distance. I have no ability to ship it, it is heavy and would be expensive to ship, not working, shipping  hardly seems viable.

I no longer have the DP832, Muttley Snickers was the successful bidder, here's hoping a fresh set of eyes can see what I missed. In the meantime thanks to M K, TurboTom, Giosif et al for the help along the way

cheers ...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:01:30 pm by pedro48 »

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers, Synthtech

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: RIGOL you defeat me ..!! .... DP832 Free to a new home
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:15:18 am »
I'm interested and have been considering updating some of my gear including a better power supply.   :-BROKE   

PM Sent.   :)

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:13:27 am »
It would be interesting to know if you manage to fix it :)

The following users thanked this post: Hamelec

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:31:02 am »
It would be interesting to know if you manage to fix it :)

First and foremost, I would like to sincerely thank pedro48 (Peter) for his generosity, not only for the power supply itself but also the work, effort and research he has put into the unit in trying to ascertain how it failed in the first place.

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon on the power supply just getting familiar with it and recording some initial measurements and will no doubt need some assistance and guidance with the repair so will likely create a new thread at some point.

Initial findings are as follows:
Channel 1 is buggered and displays 37.218V at 3.677A with no output and an annoying screen message "CH1 overvoltage protection, disable the output of CH1".   :(
Channel 2 works perfectly across all ranges and settings.   :)
Channel 3 also works perfectly but dies if the current limit is set below 280mA regardless of OVP or OCP status.   :-\

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 04:12:59 pm »
is this a linear psu or switcher?

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: RIGOL you defeat me ..!! .... DP832 has found a new home !
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 10:30:25 am »
The DP832 is a linear power supply, see this teardown. As many bench supplies it uses transformer tap switching to limit dissipation in the pass transistors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf