Author Topic: TDS5104 can't find Cal Data during starting Scope Application  (Read 1593 times)

Offline calibrationfixtureTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
TDS5104 can't find Cal Data during starting Scope Application
« on: December 15, 2022, 01:43:28 pm »
Hi to All,

Maybe familiar to others, but new to me. This Message was a result of a sudden powering off (?) the Frame and powering it manually again. Starting the Scope Application gives this as Message. Extended Diagnostics and SPC executed afterwards were both succesfull. Looking at Area specific Extended Diagnostics it looks that some Processor Memory Tests are not executed (****). These Tests are Memory DRAMCell and DRAMMarch. Interface Repair needed or other ideas?

Greetings,

Calibrationfixture

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 05:24:10 am by calibrationfixture »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: TDS5104 can't find Cal Data during starting Scope Application
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 11:24:19 am »
Many of thes kind of scope have an Dallas chip  with an integrated battery cell, when the cell eventually dies   you may get some problems

Try to find any user manuals and or service manuals, even if they dont have schematics  they provide help

Could be hard drive corruption, a sudden shut down may have created some problems

If the SPC has gone well,  it could be a simple problem, they are windows based, and like any OS, normally you have to do a proper shutdown

You have some tds5k series thread here,   if you can,  grab at Tektronix every  files you can find,  like software re installation / drivers  etc ...

We have an tds 7k  seria  at my job,  i use control+alt+delete  to bring the task manager,  i kill tektronix software, i run a new task : explorer  and that way i did  vxwork and others repertories / files backup on a usb  key  etc .... and run scandisk ...  the hardrive is old,  and im sure it will die,  i have   all backed up in case of ...

And it was the dallas chip in it who played bonkers  in my case its an ds1245  dip,  not the special dallas  pcb / clock "old model"

And pls be careful,  they are sensitive stuff in them,  take proper anti static measures

A good dust clean up would be help ful too

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 08:04:28 am »
Hi.

Thank you for your reply. Making a Clone of the TDS5104 HDD was on the "to do list". The Scope was in like new condition and its HDD was very silent during operation and not accessible from the outside like many other Tektronix Instruments. I made for example Clones of my TDS7404B, TLA715 and TLA7012 HDD's.

Before I started with the TDS5000 and TDS7000 Series I read and downloaded nearly all I could find on the WWW. This problem seems to be unique. Therefore I started a new Topic. I could indeed "break in" in another TDS5000(B) Topic.

I encountered the sudden powering off during starting up a few times but not with this effect. One time the Power Cable could be inserted a bit more and thus, I thought,  this was the cause.

As far as I know the TDS5000(B) Series don't use Dallas Chips.  Contribution of andy2000 in the Topic below. This seems a pre of this Series.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tds-5000-tek-non-b-restore-os-prj/

By the way except for the Dallas NVRAM Model (PowerPac) in early TDS7000 Instruments (no experience with these) my experience with for example Dallas DS1220 and DS1225 NVRAM's (some more then 30 years old) is that these are extremely reliable. On many tenth's of Modules and Scopes (TM5000, 11K and 24XXB Series) I never experienced loss of Cal Data or other Settings in these NVRAM's. Could be also unique.

A good cleaning and reinserting connectors sounds (your suggestion) as a good idea to start with. With opening its Case there is also no excuse to postpone the cloning of the HDD.

Greetings and thanks again,

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:13:56 am by calibrationfixture »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 06:45:00 am »
Hi,

An update. I thought my case was unique, but Google leads me to another eevblog Post, describing the same:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tds5054-calibration-problem/msg4611460/#msg4611460

In the meantime I have cloned the original HDD, ChkDsk (alle fine, no bads) and de/reinstalled Scope Application V 1.2.1. No changes. I encountered no more sudden Powering Offs with a new main cable. The insides of the Scope were superclean. All nice and shiny and no bulging of capacitors. The same with the Artesyn SMPS Module.

Ordered Xicor X24C16's (U1800 on Acquisition Board). Haven't done the PPC Reset. Maybe this can clear the Message (Error Log) during the start of the Scope Application.

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 07:01:36 am by calibrationfixture »

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 04:19:11 pm »
In my case, it was corruption of the contents of U1800.  I copied the contents from a good TDS5054B to a new chip, and no more error.  Obviously, the calibration isn't to spec, but it's amazingly close, and good enough for casual use.  I was a little surprised that the B version's data was compatible with the non-B scope.  It was a while ago, but I believe I changed the serial number to match my scope, but otherwise left the file alone, and the scope did accept it.  I'm not sure if the serial number matters.

Some day, I'll try to calibrate it, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on how to do it.  The service manual specifies the use of a very expensive automatic calibration system from Fluke.

Here are the contents of a good U1800 from a TDS5104 if you want to try it. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:29:28 pm by andy2000 »

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix, calibrationfixture

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 06:04:26 am »
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply and this solution. I assume you also had the **** in the Processor Memory Routines DRAMCell and DRAMMarch when running Extended Diagnostics.

It makes me wondering when I replace U1800 with a new one which contains no data. A perfect working Scope which retains its SPC Status and makes Probe Cal as easy as before?

Programming X24C16's. For me a new undiscovered country. Till now my experience is limited to Dallas DS1225's e.a. with a Batronix BX32P Barlino II.

Thank you again,

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 06:13:20 am by calibrationfixture »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 03:43:09 pm »
Hi,

An Update. I ordered X24C16's in Italy and a SOIC-8 Adapter for the Programmer. I programmed the X24C16 with the File from above. Made no changes. After the soldering-in I powered the TDS5104 up. With the Scope Application I got the displayed Message. Extended Diagnostics were fine. Also SPC was successful. The Scope had still its original SN, UID, Option Key and list of enabled Options. The aforementioned Message wasn't seen anymore with successive Powering-on's. Repair successful. Many thanks again.

Calibrationfixture
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 06:26:15 am by calibrationfixture »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf