Author Topic: Red vertical line on SDS1204X-E LCD  (Read 833 times)

Offline MKS1991Topic starter

Red vertical line on SDS1204X-E LCD
« on: October 02, 2023, 01:18:03 pm »
Hi,
Bought this SDS1204X-E exactly one year ago. Yesterday, I was playing with some 2-3 nH inductors in some LC Tank circuits and suddenly the scope hung for 10-15 seconds. It recovered without restarting and I did not think much about it. But after 10 minutes or so I noticed a red vertical line towards the right side of the display(which today chose to be yellow). I am not sure if that red line appeared right when the scope hung or sometime after. Can't tell exactly. But I am sure the line wasn't there before the scope hung.

I have already asked Siglen support for a solution but because I don't live in the country from where I bought this scope and there is no Siglent authorized seller or service center where I live now, I decided to open the scope and find out the display model number. The issue with the LCD is not very big and the scope is totally usable but I thought I better let Siglent know about it and prepare beforehand for a repair.

In short, I opened it all, and when I unplugged the LCD ribbon I was surprised to see the gold-plated pins in the ribbon had fingerprints and damage like corrosion or something of that kind. The scope was never opened before and I broke the warranty sticker when I opened it. However, I cleaned the corrosion and I still see the problem is there. Is it okay for a company to use such a damaged/corroded-looking cable for test equipment like this?

I could not find much regarding the display model number inside. I only found this number "NWY070ST01" and it was not very helpful at all. However, it looks like display models TM070RDH1x or AT070TN9x can be a good fit considering the physical dimensions of the LCD and the cable's position, size, and shape. But I am not sure if the driver will fit or not. Also, those will probably not have the Phosphor functionality either.

Has anybody ever faced the same kind of LCD issue and does anyone know the exact model or replacement model? Any suggestions will be helpful. 
Thanks

Offline R-1125F

• Regular Contributor
Re: Red vertical line on SDS1204X-E LCD
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 01:46:18 pm »
I saw this one for a similar model on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/155782092403
I don't know if it will work on your model, but it can't hurt the ask the seller if it will work. 

The following users thanked this post: MKS1991

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 02:26:41 pm »
Same happened to my Hantek.
There's no way a bad connection can cause a bad line, the signals are common to all (Pixel clock, RGB, Hsync, Vsync...), so it's 100% a display issue.
Fixed with a new AT070TN94 panel, I don't know if the ribbon length is the same as you didn't post any picture of it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 02:33:00 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 03:38:33 pm »
i would have tried an white / soft eraser  just to clean the contacts, they dont seems good ???

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 03:50:07 pm »
Same happened to my Hantek.
Fixed with a new AT070TN94 panel, I don't know if the ribbon length is the same as you didn't post any picture of it.

Sorry, I did not take a good picture of the LCD. I did measure the lengths 165x100x5.7mm.
The flex cable length is ±45mm. I just looked at the AT070TN94 and TM070RDH10 datasheets and saw that their dimensions match exactly except for the flex cable length which is 80.15mm for these aftermarket displays. The cable can be folded I think but don't know if it can create interference with the other things in the scope. Other similar models have smaller length flex cables but their luminance is under 250 cd/m². I will probably choose between AT070TN94 and TM070RDH10 if I find no other solution. Will post any updates with the LCD here.

Have you noticed any significant changes in color/brightness with your replacement AT070TN94 compared to your old screen?

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 03:52:34 pm »
i would have tried an white / soft eraser  just to clean the contacts, they dont seems good ???

I did clean it with some cleaning solvent. The stains are gone but the corrosions are still there.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 04:01:13 pm »
I saw this one for a similar model on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/155782092403
I don't know if it will work on your model, but it can't hurt the ask the seller if it will work.

Yes. I did see them on eBay and on Aliexpress too. But the flex cable length does not match. So I was skeptical. Also, if they are the same model as AT070TN94 or TM070RDH10, those prices in the listings where they sell it as Siglent display are more than 4 or 5 times higher compared to AT070TN94 and TM070RDH10 prices on Taobao or Aliexpress. So I was searching for people who might have faced similar issues as mine to understand the quality of those aftermarket displays.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 04:30:01 pm »
50-pin displays normally have a standard pinout.
Check GND / power traces, they can be easily identified, if matching it'll likely work.
The flex length is irrelevant but better don't fold it! There're few common lengths.
Perhabs your's was like this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005199546550.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 03:04:39 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: MKS1991

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 04:50:26 am »
IDK much about LCD's but is it some driver chip that can be replaced ? Maybe attached to the LCD module?

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 05:15:17 am »
IDK much about LCD's but is it some driver chip that can be replaced? Maybe attached to the LCD module?

Thanks, MathWizard. If those displays I mentioned before match the SDS1000X-E display, those aren't very costly. $15 each for the best ones available. Even if it is possible to do it at home,  I am not sure if the hassle of changing an IC on an LCD glass is worth the time, risk, and reliability involved. I ordered some displays and will keep this thread updated on the findings.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf