Author Topic: FG-8002 blown why?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline FloopyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
FG-8002 blown why?
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:15:47 am »
Hello, hello, I recently acquired 7 FG-8002 function generators. All not working... a bit sad at first, but they were cheap so I took them all. They are Keithleys or Helwett Packards, but they work somewhat well.

All the units had a similar problem, just a high output signal. I cracked it open, first thing I noticed was the disintegrating rubber feet. Nice and crummy. I traced things back to a burnt LM324. On the first unit I took apart it had some discolored pins I didn't notice until I replaced it, but on the other units the op amps had died in a fascinating fashion. One of them had the plastic blown of the top. I replaced the IC and everything seems to work fine. I don't get anything heating up unusually.

Now my question is what could have caused the device to fail? Is it a user error that caused a fail in most of these and they were phased out because they had a pile of them (previous owners, used to belong to a university). Or is it a common failure across the units?

-Thanks, at least there are some pictures for those of you who look for those  ;)

• Regular Contributor
Re: FG-8002 blown why?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 04:20:16 am »
Oops just noticed I made this in the wrong thread. Sorry, hopefully someone will move this to the repair thread  :o

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 04:40:32 am »
Is one of the LM324 sections the output by chance?  Perhaps it was backfed a bit too much. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 05:23:10 am »
Is one of the LM324 sections the output by chance?  Perhaps it was backfed a bit too much. 
No, it's very far up from the output, but what do I know. There is a diagram I'll pull it up. The IC in question is U5. I don't understand it completely, but by probing around I can see where things are supposed to flow.

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 05:37:16 am »
One of the best ways to blow a chip apart like that is to exceed its maximum power supply voltage.  The LM324 non 'B' version is rated for 32 V or +/-16 V maximum.  Looking at the schematic, If a 7815/7915 regulator was bad or oscillating due a failed bypass capacitor, I think this situation could easily happen.

U5 could be damaged through the VCF input connector with a high enough voltage.  Are there any burnt resistors?

PS. I like that schematic!  How long did it take to work it out?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 08:33:55 pm »
One of the best ways to blow a chip apart like that is to exceed its maximum power supply voltage.  The LM324 non 'B' version is rated for 32 V or +/-16 V maximum.  Looking at the schematic, If a 7815/7915 regulator was bad or oscillating due a failed bypass capacitor, I think this situation could easily happen.

U5 could be damaged through the VCF input connector with a high enough voltage.  Are there any burnt resistors?

PS. I like that schematic!  How long did it take to work it out?
I got it online, https://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/63443/Goldstar_FG-8002.html  ;D makes things easier. I checked the voltages and they are all within reasonable limits. I'll keep probing around.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
This is marginally readable but may help.

* schematic.pdf (172.72 kB - downloaded 1123 times.)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 12:01:06 am »
I like that, thank you I appreciate it a lot!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf