Author Topic: What is this component? - Is this a voltage regulator?  (Read 711 times)

Offline arielomcTopic starter

What is this component? - Is this a voltage regulator?
« on: July 22, 2024, 05:21:01 pm »
Hello,
The other day I spilled a cup of coffee on my laptop. The PC shut down immediately.  |O
Then I said to myself: I can do this!  :box:
So, I assumed that there is a short somewhere, so I looked with my multimeter on ground and the positive lead on all the coils. The ones that were close to the CPU or GPU gave me low resistance values ​​(I think that's normal), however, two coils read 0.02 ohm, which is practically a short (right?)
Then, focusing on this area of ​​the PCB, I injected 1VDC capped at 400mA and this is where one particular component became slightly hot. It is one that has the inscription on its silkscreen "AZTP 439" (see photo).
The problem is that I can't find what component it is, or what type of component, nor can I find the motherboard schematics on the internet.

EEVlogers, with your immense wisdom, can you please help me find:
1. Repair my PC
2. Find the IC AZTP 439
3. Find the schematic diagram of the motherboard?

My computer is:
- Samsung Galaxy Book2 pro 360
- Model NP930QED-KA1
- Registration on PCB: BA41-02942B
- PCB Model: MARS2-13

Many thanks in advance to all

Ariel.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
Re: What is this component? - Is this a voltage regulator?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 07:54:56 pm »

Offline arielomcTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 09:52:51 pm »
Thank you fzabkar.

Is it possible that this component will be a voltage regulator instead in your opinion?

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 03:26:18 am »
There seem to be too many passives for it to be a regulator. I can't locate it on the PCBs -- can you tell me where it is?

I see what looks like a damaged inductor. See attachment.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 01:11:56 am »
That stuff and phones must be a nightmare to repair, for a bunch of reasons. I would also myself try to find the problem. But yeah, just to get some chips, you might have to buy a broken laptop, to get the same chip. Or the whole PCB, etc. But it you might that chip on other models of laptop too, even from looking at PCB pictures.

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 11:37:26 am »
Measuring near 0Ohm in the digital power supply circuits does not necessarily mean you have a short. Sometimes the load impedance is just so low that a DMM can't resolve it.

If you want to check the supply rails then you can try "power injection". That means to connect a lab power supply with a voltage lower than specified into the supply bus. E.g. if it´s a 1.2V rail of a GPU, you can inject 0.8V with 5A of current limitation into the rail. Afterwards it´s optimal to have a thermal imager, so that you can see where the injected power dissipates. In best case you find a shorted cap or voltage regulator that way that is easy to replace.

Do you have any idea where the coffee exactly hit the PCB?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf