Author Topic: What connector is this?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline neo_Topic starter

• Contributor
What connector is this?
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:45:19 am »
Instead of paying $120 for a fairly simple cable, I'm building a replacement for my Pace station since the original is missing.
It's similar to a RCA jack but the outer diameter is slightly bigger. It supplies power, positive and ground.

ID 3 mm
OD 9.5 mm
Length 12 mm

Female socket pictured below, I need male jack that mates to it.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:39:32 pm by neo_ »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: What connector is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 02:48:23 pm »
Could you repurpose  a banana jack center pin ??    For the external one  i dont know

Maybe if you know some machinist guys ?

Could be an proprietary design  ?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 10:51:27 pm »
Could you repurpose  a banana jack center pin ??    For the external one  i dont know

Maybe if you know some machinist guys ?

Could be an proprietary design  ?

The inside center actually works with a plain old RCA jack, haven't tried a banana jack but it'll probably also work. The other diameter is just slightly oversized

Looking at my other Pace station it uses well known brands, Neutrik and Amphenol connectors which I matched exactly. I'm thinking this connector maybe from another large well known company?

Unfortunately machining a connector would be cost prohibitive since I don't have any machinist friends
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:55:59 pm by neo_ »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 12:13:00 am »
If you only have the one handle and don't need the swap feature, there's always the crude approach to clamp a wire or braid to the outside surface:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2026668525.html

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 01:54:00 am »
If you only have the one handle and don't need the swap feature, there's always the crude approach to clamp a wire or braid to the outside surface:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2026668525.html

Thanks for that idea, it would defiantly work however I have several various handles to swap.

Keep the ideas coming!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:25:18 am »
Guesses are welcome

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 12:09:27 am »
In true DIY fashion change the connector
Tinkerer’

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 05:40:53 pm »
Instead of paying $120 for a fairly simple cable, I'm building a replacement for my Pace station since the original is missing.
It's similar to a RCA jack but the outer diameter is slightly bigger. It supplies power, positive and ground.

Female socket is pictured, I need the male jack which mates to it. I searched around and couldn't find much.

ID 3 mm
OD 9.5 mm
Length 12 mm

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Zooming in on the image of the cable (https://www.paceworldwide.com/node/9968) makes it look to me like that's an IEC antenna connector. The outer diameter agrees. However, a dimensional drawing of such a connector seems to indicate the center pin diameter is 2.3mm.  I'd pick up one of those connectors (since they're cheap and plentiful, at least in Europe, so you can surely order them cheaply from China if Digi-Key and Mouser are too expensive), since you won't harm anything if the center pin is too thin.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:44:54 pm by tooki »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 06:00:12 pm »
If you are going to use the TV connectors get the versions that connect to F connectors, as those i find are the best made ones, the ones for direct cable mount are in general pretty junky, but the F versions are typically turned plated brass. Then your cable just has to be either made with a solid core, or slip a copper wire end up the centre insulation for a way, to make a good contact with the stranded wires, and fit a F connector to the cable, and screw it together.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 07:01:23 pm »
The adapters aren't designed to carry any current, so I really wouldn't rely on them for this application.

Reichelt (a German vendor) has a nice selection of plugs, including nicer quality ones, and they do ship to USA (though the shipping is costly): https://www.reichelt.com/us/en/IEC-Connector/2/index.html?ACTION=2&LA=2&GROUPID=3539

In a pinch, I could pick up a cheap plug and drop it in an envelope to you (or bring it on my next visit to USA).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 05:32:08 pm »

ID 3 mm
OD 9.5 mm
Length 12 mm

(Attachment Link)

Female socket pictured below, I need male jack that mates to it.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Did you ever identify the mating connector?

Offline 1audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 11:00:37 pm »
Metcal uses F connectors for up to 50W @ 27 MHz. The IEC antenna connectors are quite rare in the US.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 01:44:08 am »
Metcal uses F connectors for up to 50W @ 27 MHz. The IEC antenna connectors are quite rare in the US.

This is for a Pace station, as mentioned in original post.

You're replying to a 2 year old question as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf