Author Topic: Rohde and Schwartz SMIQ 03B 350 kHz – 3.3 GHz Signal Generator Bottom Cover?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I won really cheap early this evening an R & S SMIQ 03B 350 kHz to 3.3 GHz Signal Generator, but unfortunately the Bottom Cover is described as "missing!"

Page 37 of Volume 1 of the Service Manual gave the part number of the bottom cover as

"396–7910", crossed out and replaced by "1106.1829.00"

The description given in the book is :–

"Haube, unten, 4E, 1/1, T460, cover, bottom".

Does anybody know if this case system or parts of it can be bought anywhere, or are there any much cheaper pieces of R and S gear that use the same case system?

All Google finds me is useless Lenovo laptop parts!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:13:37 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
You can take a look at the CMD53, 55, 57 or 80.
They share the same enclosure, LCD and PSU.

Edit: Big mistake. the CMDs have a different, smaller depth than the SMIQs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:55:30 am by Qw3rtzuiop »

Offline drhex

• Regular Contributor
Contacted R&S for parts for this box and they said "Nothing available anymore". Not very helpful, I know.

Offline jdragoset

• Regular Contributor
Given the lowest "parts only" is $600 on eBay, find a local sheet metal shop with sheer, bending brake and punch.

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

It looks like at least two of the PCBs have been filched from this as well – there are three or four assorted thin yellow and white flexible cables with tiny r.f. coaxial connectors underneath fitted on their ends that obviously plugged into something that's been removed, and looking at the S.M. made my head go round trying to work out what refers to what!

The display powers up with the following message:–

"ATTENTION!" "ATTENTION!!"

"ERROR AT HARDWARE INITIALISATION – MISSING EQUIPMENT!!"

"ATTENTION!!" "ATTENTION!!"

. . .and the front panel controls are all completely dead after that!

Comparing what I paid for it with what complete working units go for it's worth a bit of investment in parts to try and sort it, and I'm not afraid of saving up for a while, even if it means spending nearer four than three figures!

I know I will need an r.f. power meter at some point, a 4GHz capable counter and (possibly!) a Spectrum Analyzer to work on this obviously!

I'll concentrate on getting the cosmetics completed first, then I'll study the s.m. sections and the options sticker on the back and take a log of what is fitted and what isn't, then I know what I'll need – it's a very long term project because of the potential costs, both in missing parts and the equipment needed to diagnose it properly!

In the opinion of the more r.f. experienced members on here, would I be better off breaking it up for the individual assemblies and selling them on separately?

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:47:31 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Given the lowest "parts only" is $600 on eBay, find a local sheet metal shop with sheer, bending brake and punch.
You should be able to do better. Probably put in an offer at around $100 or so. I bought a good one for much less than $600!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I've just made the happy discovery that this long–term project is now even longer–term now because NOT ONE of the 4 volumes of the SMIQ Service Manual has a single, block diagram, circuit diagram or component layout diagram in it!!

Does anybody know where I might get the missing diagrams from please?

This means I'll need to buy another generator if I'm hoping to draw out the circuits, as I'd almost certainly have to remove many of the components off the boards to trace out the circuits properly!

Also, can anyone give me a basic list of the essential modules needed to get the basic SMIQ working and the most common options usually fitted please, so I know what modules to buy?

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:36:57 am by Chris56000 »

Offline eurgenca

• Regular Contributor
Post a picture of back (option sticker) and what you have inside.

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
The manuals at this link link have the schematics

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

There's no layout diagrams or any schematic diagrams whatsoever in any of the Rohde & Schwartz manual directories – I didn't only look in the "SMIQ" directory, I also downloaded all the service manuals for the entire "SM" range of models, and not one of them has a single circuit or layout diagram in it, the other files are only R & S's corporate "glossy–page" rubbish!

Sorry!

Chris Williams

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Maybe your PDF reader is broken. I downloaded volume 2 and it has schematics and board layouts in it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:48:28 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
Indeed! Before posting the link I opened the pdf files and checked that the service manuals contained the schematics.

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I'm puzzled about that, I'm looking at them on a phone at the moment, I'll download the documents again, and try them on my laptop!

There are a lot of intermediate pages in the documents between the "XY Parts List" and the chapter heading for the next module that are simply coming up blank in each of the four volume files – is this where the schematic diagrams and layouts should appear?

First time I've heard of a pdf that a phone  only opens the textual part of and not the graphics parts!

PS!

I've downloaded all these documents onto my laptop and opened them with CutePDF, Foxit Reader and Adobe Acrobat DC and there are no block, circuit or layouts in Vols 1, 2 & 4 whatsoever, there is a very badly scanned block, layout and circuit diagram for the power supply in Vol 3 and that is the lot!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 07:57:08 pm by Chris56000 »

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

Members "nctnico" and "picburner", please could you send or post a screenshot of one or two pages of of the schematic diagram from each volume with a note giving the page number and what pdf reader you used, also the page count and file–sizes of each volume please?

I can probably reconstruct the diagrams from another complete generator, (mine is incomplete!) but it's months of difficult work on my sPlan software and I don't want to go to the expense of spending £1k on another SMIQ03B generator, or spend months at my laptop writing & drawing these manuals all out again if there's some peculiar setup in my laptop or 'fone that's causing the pages with the graphical data to be blank or missing altogether!

Chris Williams

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf