Author Topic: Diameter of ChipQuik SMD removal alloy sticks?  (Read 856 times)

Offline badrequest400Topic starter

• Contributor
Diameter of ChipQuik SMD removal alloy sticks?
« on: November 02, 2023, 11:20:42 pm »
Could anyone with ChipQuik SMD removal alloy sticks (which come in a tube) tell me what the diameter of the sticks/wire is? Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 12:51:58 am by badrequest400 »

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Diameter of ChipQuik SMD removal alloy sticks?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 02:41:32 am »
Ugh, my cheap calipers ate another battery, it appears...

So nothing exact, but I have a few sticks of it sitting here and they're noticeably thicker than the .8mm roll I have out on the bench, so maybe 1.2-1.5 range, I think.

The following users thanked this post: badrequest400

Offline badrequest400Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 01:04:24 pm »
Thanks very much!

Incidentally, I recently discovered those calipers never switch off; even the expensive ones are the same; the on/off button only affects the LCD. Annoying because one cell would last 10 years otherwise. I've been meaning to modify mine to put a slide switch in there to really disconnect the power. There are posts online going back over 20 years regarding this issue!

Offline Audiorepair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 02:26:35 pm »
I have just some coiled wire that came in a kit, it is 1.2mm diameter.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 02:44:32 pm »
I just measured mine.  It read 0.055"(1.4mm).  This is not my reason for positing, though.
1) My Mitutoyo brand digital caliper does seem to turn off as do a digital dial and linear caliper.  The latter two are Mitutoyo 572 series with RS232-like synchronous output.  All three turn off.  When off, the battery in the dial gauge lasted several years. The caliper battery lasts far, far longer than the battery in cheap (like Harbor Freight) versions.  It gets a lot more use and seems to last at least 3 years or more.
2) Chip-Quik does work, but be sure to clean it off before re-soldering.  Or, are you planning to use it as a very low temperature solder? Reduced joint reliability has been demonstrated when lead-free solders are contaminated with leaded solder.  https://www.bomir.com/downloads/aim/Lead_Contamination_in_Lead-Free_Electronics_Assembly.pdf  Good mixing can help void it.  I am not aware of similar stressed studies for mixtures of Chip-Quik and the other solder types.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 03:07:08 pm »
There are no conceivable circumstances where the use of Chipquik as a solder alloy would be a good idea, as its microstructure may be far far worse than a Pb contaminated lead-free alloy.  Its strictly for desoldering.

See  https://forum.arduino.cc/t/what-is-chip-quik/412935

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:08:10 pm »
I don't have the ChipQuik brand, but I have some branded as SRA Fast Chip. Don't know if it's exactly the same or not. Both of my calipers (cheap HF brand and more-expensive-but-not-Mitutoyo-expensive) measure identically at 1.18mm.

Speaking of calipers, the HF calipers shown do have the power drain problem and will eat a battery sitting in the case. However the iGaging calipers do not suffer from the power off issue. If you're not looking to spend Mitutoyo money, I can highly recommend these. Currently selling for $52 USD on Amazon US.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 03:09:42 pm by Veteran68 »

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 09:56:21 am »
For Chipquik SMD 8NL  SMD REMOVAL ALLOY the sticks measure 1.17mm dia

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 04:53:15 pm »
Yea I would not recommend it as a low temp solder alloy.  But I do use it a lot for chip removal.  I prefer it to other methods (like heat gun) when you need to salvage the chip. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf