Author Topic: Trying to fix phone that is not charging (Pics inside)  (Read 363 times)

Offline SluggerBaloneyTopic starter

Trying to fix phone that is not charging (Pics inside)
« on: August 12, 2024, 05:28:22 pm »
I have two TCL A30 phones.

Old Phone: This phone worked fine for years, then stopped charging If you plugged a charger into it, the phone would make the charging sound, the phone would tell you it is charging, but the battery icon would not have the charging symbol in it and the battery would not charge.I tried new battery, same behavior.

New Phone: Works fine, bought as a donor board to try and repair Old Phone

My interest here is to repair Old Phone, using components parts off New Phone if needed. I am not interested in replacing Old Phone with New Phone. I do not want to damage Old Phone any more. Right now the phone is usable but I have to charge batteries externally and swap them out every couple days. I would rather do that than risk ruining the device.

The first thing I tried was a USB port swap. I removed the existing port on Old Phone and put a new port I had on it. I failed to realize at that time that the phone has a "reverse" micro USB port, and the port I put on was a standard one, so the cable was flipped upside down and the pins were reversed when inserted. I inserted the cable, and nothing happened at all. No charging sound, no notification, nothing. I ordered a new reverse USB port, and put that port on. Same thing, insert USB cable, and absolutely nothing happens. I am 100% sure the port swap is good, I check continuity between the pads where the legs connect and the ends of a USB cable and it showed continuous. I tried plugging the phone in a PC, also nothing, the phone is not recognized.

I looked at the Old Phone board under a thermal camera with the cable plugged in, no components were getting warm

The way the phone is designed is that the USB port is on one side of the board, but all the component are on the opposite side. The opposite side has test points corresponding to the USB pins. I checked voltages on the test pads, and on New Phone, I found 5V on one of the pads (See Pic). On Old Phone, 0V.

How could I tell if that test point is where the USB leg come up from the other side of the board, or if the circuit runs through bunch of other components and then ends up at that test point? My thought is if the test point is the beginning of the charging circuit (so it went USB Cable > USB Port > Test Point > rest of phone) I could run a wire from the USB port leg to that test point and restore charging. But if it isn't, I would be bypassing potentially important parts of the charging circuit and could be sending power to the phone in a manner that could damage it. And how likely would it be for some sort of "internal trace" connecting the leg of the USB port to the test point to break? That's what leads me to believe the test point is at the end of the circuit and not the start. It also worries me that the phone is not recognized by a PC at all.

Sorry about the blurry photos I will try and get some better ones off my microscope later

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Trying to fix phone that is not charging (Pics inside)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 06:43:22 pm »
Did you clean the old phone USB charging connector? I normally use compressed air and 90% solve the not charging problem.

Are you sure the 5V on the USB connector are making is way into the PCB track?
I would measure the Ohm between the 5V track and the connector or even better a good known USB cable...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 07:11:08 pm »
Did you clean the old phone USB charging connector? I normally use compressed air and 90% solve the not charging problem.

I did a port swap. It has a brand new port. I did clean it out just in case some flux got in there

Are you sure the 5V on the USB connector are making is way into the PCB track?

It tested that way to me

I would measure the Ohm between the 5V track and the connector or even better a good known USB cable...[/quote ]

All testing was done with a known good cable. The same cable was used when testing New Phone and Old Phone It's not the cable.

I did have one idea: I have another reverse USB port (it was a 2 pack that I bought) I am going to run some wires from the pins of that port directly to the test points on the New Board and plug a cable into that port. If that works on New Phone, I think that would mean it is safe to try on Old Phone. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 07:45:45 pm by SluggerBaloney »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 03:17:33 am »

I did have one idea: I have another reverse USB port (it was a 2 pack that I bought) I am going to run some wires from the pins of that port directly to the test points on the New Board and plug a cable into that port. If that works on New Phone, I think that would mean it is safe to try on Old Phone. Thoughts?

I would test and swap also with the second reverse USB port, just in case the first one is a lemon.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024, 03:54:53 pm »
Well after giving it the old college try, it turns out my soldering skills are not at a level where I can get wires onto the micro USB pins.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2024, 08:08:56 pm »
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I ordered up a pack of USB breakout boards, that will allow me to just run jumper wires from test point to test point and no longer have to fiddle with little pins. Will be here tommorow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf