Author Topic: Siglent SDG805 won't boot (in a different way than all others)  (Read 497 times)

Offline RCX2020Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Instead of simply throwing stuff away when it breaks down, like most people do, I decided it would be much better to try and repair some of it as best I can. Since the repairs get more interesting (more complex) each time I wanted to get some tools for helping me diagnose and possibly fix these problems.

One of these tools is a signal generator. I found and bought a secondhand SDG805 from my local "craigslist" equivalent which was supposedly hardly used and in mint condition. Upon receiving it it looked in great shape, I switched it on, all buttons lighted up and.... nothing more... just a black screen and all buttons stay illuminated.

The seller I bought it from was very nice about it, which regretfully isn't always so on craigslist, and fully reimbursed the costs. When I asked if I should send back the defective unit he told me I could keep it and do whatever I wanted with it.

And here we are. Of course I'm going to try and fix the problem if I can  :)

- I've checked the power supply and it seems to be within specification (using the SDG1000 service manual since the SGD800 doesn't have one).
- Checked if all connectors were properly seated and if there was any visual damage on the pcb
- I've read all threads on this blog and anything else I could find on the net but nothing similar popped up.

The most I could find about this unit is the boot freeze issue. But they all talk about being stuck on the boot logo screen. My screen doesn't even turn on, all the buttons light up and stay on forever.

- No idea what kind of firmware is/was present on the device. The serial number before the last four digits reads 0314 which, as I understand, means this unit was produced in early 2014.

I don't know if it's wise or useful to try the SD-card recovery method mentioned on this blog first (and if anyone has the required tools for me to do this would be great) even though the symptoms differ?

Anyhow, all help on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, RCX2020

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:10:36 am by RCX2020 »
My current tools are two decent DMM's and a hammer...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDG805 won't boot (in a different way than all others)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:52:27 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Yes with early versions of FW these units are known to be troublesome but like you presume it doesn't sound like a FW problem.  :-//
It's been a while since I had much to do with the 800 series but one of my customers has a heap of them so I can call on him for a few pointers if necessary......let me do just that.

FYI 0314 is the actual SN# and the other characters before it denote the build dates and HW version.
I have the recovery tools and if you PM me with your email we can provide them with a few conditions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf