Author Topic: Tips on de-soldering components off board which soldered on both sides  (Read 1664 times)

Offline YaminTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi guys, could you share tips on how to de-solder components of board which is soldered on both sides. Mainly I have trouble with de-soldering IC's  rather than components. I tried solder suckers, wicks -what only worked for me is heating and pulling but that sometimes causes the solder pads to lift or the trace to lift.
What temperature would you recommend having the iron set at?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline testpoint1

• Frequent Contributor
Hi guys, could you share tips on how to de-solder components of board which is soldered on both sides. Mainly I have trouble with de-soldering IC's  rather than components. I tried solder suckers, wicks -what only worked for me is heating and pulling but that sometimes causes the solder pads to lift or the trace to lift.
What temperature would you recommend having the iron set at?

Thanks in advance for the help.

if that is a DIP IC, you can use the HAKKO 474 or 808 desoldering gun.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
I have had great success with hot air desoldering.  The equipment isn't costly and does the best job for me.

Offline Mick

• Supporter
As testpoint1 points out, a vacuum de-soldering station makes easy work of DIP IC's.

Zhongdi (http://www.china-zhongdi.com/product/station/desoldering/) or a rebrand, are cheap and fine for casual work. They offer different models but their much the same under the hood.

Dave reviews one of their models (ZD985) here:

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
Honestly if they are PDIP ICs ...cut the legs use iron to heat pad pull out leftover with tweezers.  If your replacing the IC....you ain't going to be using it again.   Same with other thru hole parts.

Other than that....thru hole de-soldering.  I have a great old Royel vac de-solder/solder system but I really only use vac de-solder once per 6 months at best.

If its SMD IC de-solder.....use chipquik.  Its not cheap but if you're not using it much its worth it...in fact even if you are ...its worth it.

FWIW
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf