Author Topic: Thurlby Thandar PL310  (Read 13751 times)

Offline alanbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Thurlby Thandar PL310
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:42:25 pm »
Does any one have a schematic and/or service manual for the above? I am trying to fix a fault with the voltmeter that causes it to show 40.95 regardless of the actual output voltage.

I have found a service manual see attached however this does not appear to be for the version that I have. Mine includes a PIC16C55 and dates from about 1991, this chip is not shown on the attached manual.

Thanks in advance
Alan

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Thurlby Thandar PL310
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:43 pm »
Based on comments from others here, if you contact TTi they should be able to help you.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:04 pm »
Thanks IanB I will contact them in the morning.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:31 pm »
I think I've got a pile of these in various states of disrepair. I might have a spare voltmeter board, will check on Friday. Can you put up a picture of your board?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:21 pm »
Photo attached, sorry about the poor quality.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:59 pm »
I have a PL320QMD which uses the same readout PCB (by the look of it!) and I have the circuit of it.
Will have to wait till I can scan it at work tomorrow though.
 My PL320 had both channels completely blown ,  with one readout showing the 40 odd volts like yours and the other some random rubbish !.
After replacing all the 2n3055 pass transistors the readout that showed 40V now worked , but the other readout was toast. Noted that the A/D converter IC2 was getting rather hot (an ICL7109 ).
 So long story short, I read the firmware from the good PIC16C55 and copied to a new one and then replaced both the Pic IC1 and the A/D IC2 on the dead display board and bingo it now worked.
 I can also upload the firmware if needed but I would suspect IC2 first.

If KJDS can supply a working display PCB then that would be the easiest solution.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:12:15 am »
Lowimpedance - thanks for the reply, the schematic will be very helpful. I hope the fault is not the ICL7109 as it appears to be the only expensive component on the board, about £20 at RS components. Also the current meter is working am I correct in thinking that this uses the same IC with multiplexing of the input?

KJDS -  my preference would be to repair my existing board however is that is not possible or is not economically viable I would be interested in a replacement board so please let me know what you have available. 

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:17:18 pm »
The file is too large to attach here.

You'll find it here: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107421

My experiences with that model are also linked to in that thread.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
Thanks Mark

It looks like the correct schematic.
I won't be able to work on this until the middle of next week but when I do I'll report back on my progress.

Alan

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 12:11:58 am »
PDF of service and operator manuals plus PIC16C55 firmware, will need a suitable device programer for that though .
Zipped

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:51 am »
Thank you Lowimpedance

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:34 am »
Interesting - I assumed the PIC would have been code-protected, so I didn't bother trying to read mine.

Offline IO390

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 01:09:51 pm »
Do you still need schematics?

I've got the full original service manual for the PL310/PL320 and some other stuff on a disk if you still need it.

IO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
IO390 - Not needed now as the one from Mark Hennessy appears to be the correct version. Thanks for the offer.

You mentioned that you have other stuff on a disk, is that firmware? In Lowimpdance's post he included firmware 'thurlthanPSV2'. I'm hoping not to have to change the PIC but if I do so is yours the same version? In fact  does any one know anything about firmware versions? Is it the same across all models PL310/320 etc and are there any revisions for bug fixes or improvements?

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 04:49:09 am »
Interesting - I assumed the PIC would have been code-protected, so I didn't bother trying to read mine.
Indeed , but much to my relief it was not.
My supply was badly damaged by the previous owner, and had required the replacement of both IC1 and 2 on one of the meter PCB's.
I suspect there would be not many firmware revisions for just a 'meter' drive circuit. (has no control over the analogue power circuits).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 08:39:22 am »
I replaced the cd4052 multiplexer last night, unfortunately this did not resolve the problem.

It now looks as if the fault is being caused by the PIC16C55. Are there any PIC16F devices that can be used as a direct replacement as my only programming tool is a PICKIT3 and as far as I am aware this won't program PIC16Cxx devices. 

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 12:45:52 pm »
What does the current meter display?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »
40.95 on the volts, current meter may show correct reading. I assume that 40.95 is the maximum count (2^12) -1.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:04:09 pm by alanb »

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
Doesn't sound like the PIC to me. A bit of probing around with a 'scope to see the various signals should reassure you of that. A dead PIC wouldn't display any numbers on the multiplexed displays, for example...

To be honest, it sounds very similar to the problem I had - which was discussed in the link I posted earlier.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 01:08:05 pm »
40.95 on the volts, current meter may be show correct reading. I assume that 40.95 is the maximum count (2^12) -1
Yes, 4095 equates to maximum scale. The point is that the PIC and the DVM chip are common to both volts and current - so if one reading is correct (or just different) it's unlikely to be a fault with either chip. Unless one of the MUX lines on the PIC is defunct. Try shorting the input to the DVM - pins 34 and 35 - the sources are all protected by resistors so it shorting the pins shouldn't damage anything.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:59 pm »
I will try this evening however because the two read differently I thought that it was more likely to be the MUX or the PIC rather than the DVM and as I have now replaced the MUX I am left with the PIC.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:38 pm »
as I have now replaced the MUX I am left with the PIC.
and the four voltage signals that the MUX switches between.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
Correct. Unfortunately I have been jumping to too many conclusions on this. I need to do some proper measurements and diagnosis. Hopefully I will have time tonight, if not I won't be able to work on it for another week. 

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
I tried to buy some TTI power supplies.  What I received was one crushed power supply I did not dare turn on, and a cheeper model in a box labeled as the more expensive model. 
I am still waiting for the results of a CAR to decide if it was a rare incident or not before considering ordering a TTI again. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
I tried to buy some TTI power supplies.  What I received was one crushed power supply I did not dare turn on, and a cheeper model in a box labeled as the more expensive model. 
I am still waiting for the results of a CAR to decide if it was a rare incident or not before considering ordering a TTI again. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a problem with the person you are buying off rather than the products themselves. The reputation of TTI seems pretty good. I have no criticism of the one that I have purchased, it has a faulty meter but I am expecting that can be fixed fairly cheaply. Other than that fault it works well and it is over 20 years old.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf