Author Topic: Tektronix TDS784C HDD  (Read 1850 times)

Offline stcosoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tektronix TDS784C HDD
« on: January 25, 2021, 05:02:42 pm »
Hi... I recently acquired a TDS784C which came with HD option but no working HDD. Can it be replaced? I've searched on google about this but found nothing.
I can hear that poor HDD clacking on startup  :'(

Thank you in advance.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS784C HDD
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:07:25 am »
UP  :-[

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:48:10 pm »
Hi... I recently acquired a TDS784C which came with HD option but no working HDD. Can it be replaced? I've searched on google about this but found nothing.
I can hear that poor HDD clacking on startup  :'(

Thank you in advance.

Sure it can, I didi for an other Tek, an AWG, it was not that bad in the en, use this document to properly remove it:

https://download.tek.com/manual/071044202.pdf

in conjunction with the service manual:

https://download.tek.com/manual/070987504.pdf

Then post clear pictures of it and get yourself a cheap USB/P-ATA enclosure to try to make an image with ddrescue and determine what kind of partition it had.

Cheers,
DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: stcoso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:30:39 pm »
My biggest concern is about the HDD model.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:26:43 pm »
What model is the original HDD?

Does it remain spinning after clicking, or does it spin down?

If the scope really needs to see the original model, there are free DIY methods to make a WD HDD look like other makes and models. You may even be able to use a SATA HDD with a suitable PATA-SATA bridge PCB.

Edit:

After reading the manual, it appears that the original drive was a 170MB model. Those were CHS drives. Later models use LBA mode.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:49:41 pm by fzabkar »

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 08:31:29 pm »
I also have a TSD684C and as HD I used a CF with an adapter and it works perfectly.

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:41 am »
The HDD unit in my TDS754D shows this reference

SanDisk PCMCIA CARD ATA
SDP3B - Flash Disk 175 Mb

Offline G10mar3xp10r3r

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:18:51 am »
Hi TDS HDD users.. This is an interesting thread as I was the original designer of the TDS's HDD option.   This option evolved quite a bit from PCMCIA into second generation 2.5" PATA drives.   Did you know you can insert a NE2000 PCMCIA network card into your instruments PCMCIA slot and  get a full network stack?   I've been contemplating writing up some of of the stupid TDS500/600/700 tricks but have no idea if there are enough folks out here that have any residual interest in these instruments.    I've been contemplating building a contemporary storage/nic card as a replacement to the original HDD option card.    I wonder how many interested users would be interested in this?

Regards
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 06:26:44 am by G10mar3xp10r3r »

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC, Tantratron

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 09:06:47 am »
This goes other way around, you will create that interest, if it's not yet there.

Do you know any possibilities of other lines having similar options?
This place has a tendency to adapt and side track past obstacles.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 09:29:41 am »
Hi TDS HDD users.. This is an interesting thread as I was the original designer of the TDS's HDD option.   This option evolved quite a bit from PCMCIA into second generation 2.5" PATA drives.   Did you know you can insert a NE2000 PCMCIA network card into your instruments PCMCIA slot and  get a full network stack?   I've been contemplating writing up some of of the stupid TDS500/600/700 tricks but have no idea if there are enough folks out here that have any residual interest in these instruments.    I've been contemplating building a contemporary storage/nic card as a replacement to the original HDD option card.    I wonder how many interested users would be interested in this?

Regards

ABSOLUTELY !!! There is so little actual information and, unfortunately, so much dis-information regarding the storage options and other capabilities of Tek devices, personally I would LOVE to hear about the tips and tricks  :-+

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 10:22:48 am »

Regards

I am so interested it hurts! :D

Please teach us your knowledge!

Also, I'm on the hunt for a HDD option for my TDS784C too.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 02:11:19 pm »
I do not know if this is of any help but here goes:
I purchased an Agilent 54810 scope from someone on this blog. The seller had installed a SSD Drive. I think the original HDs on this unit were none too good.
The SSD is partitioned to be of an acceptable size for the CPU. The thing works just fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf