Author Topic: CD Drive Repair HPC-3LX  (Read 887 times)

Offline JoergRTopic starter

• Contributor
CD Drive Repair HPC-3LX
« on: October 08, 2022, 08:53:28 pm »
Hi all,
I'm trying to repair my inlaws Sharp XL-T300H stereo - a compact thing of only emotional value. It appears the CD Pickup is broken. CDs were turning and read, but the audio was distorted. Audio on FM works fine, so I think it's not a problem with the audio system itself.

The laser pickup is a HPC-3LX 20N which appears to be a standard part. I got a replacement part HPC-3LX 30N (note the difference) from eBay that looks identical to the part I removed from the unit. Upon putting it in, CDs would not even start to turn anymore and the display shows "No CD"

So now I have two questions forum members may be able to answer:

1) Does anyone know if an HPC-3LX 30N should work in place of the original HPC-3LX 20N?
2) If it should work, how can I test conclusively, if the replacement part I got is actually working?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Best,
Joerg

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:19:52 pm by JoergR »

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
Re: CD Drive Repair HPC-3LX
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 10:37:06 pm »
Laser assemblies are shipped with a solder blob to protect them against ESD. You need to desolder this blob before installation.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 06:26:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply, that is interesting. Could you be more specific as to where such a solder blob is to be found / removed? I've attached an image of the pick up unit I removed and the new one looks identical - also on the solder side - the only differnence being the 30N instead of the 20N on the sticker.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 06:39:50 pm »
I don't know if all laser pickups are shipped with a blob these days, but here is one example:

The following users thanked this post: rplabs

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 08:18:41 pm »
Thanks  so much - one really needs to know what one is looking for to actually see it!
Removing the blob and the unit works again.

Do you know why these blobs are there? I suppose they shorten the laser diode. Are there any other typical components that feature this kind of protection?

Thanks so much, my inlaws will be thrilled ;-)

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 08:52:50 pm »
I don't recall seeing these blobs in other scenarios, but I haven't seen everything. :-)

I assume that the blobs straddle the laser's terminals, but I've never examined them closely. All I know for certain is that the blobs protect against ESD during shipping and handling.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 03:44:11 pm »
Well, still some mysteries to explore. Thanks again anyhow!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf