Author Topic: Reputable source in EU/germany for multimeter fuses?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Reputable source in EU/germany for multimeter fuses?
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2023, 08:46:06 pm »
I asked if you meant amps instead of volts, since your sentence didn’t make sense. OTHER people replied, but YOU didn’t reply until now.
Everyone who responded except you understood what it meant. You are just being needlessly pedantic. Are you really claiming you could not understand what they wrote? It was obvious to me that the poster was talking about what happens if you exceed the voltage rating of a fuse. I think you could cut a non-native speaker (I'm guessing from the country flag) some slack.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2023, 09:14:32 pm »
I asked if you meant amps instead of volts, since your sentence didn’t make sense. OTHER people replied, but YOU didn’t reply until now.
Everyone who responded except you understood what it meant. You are just being needlessly pedantic. Are you really claiming you could not understand what they wrote? It was obvious to me that the poster was talking about what happens if you exceed the voltage rating of a fuse. I think you could cut a non-native speaker (I'm guessing from the country flag) some slack.
The only thing I originally asked that person was “did you mean to write amps?” I suspected  (correctly, as it is) what they meant, but I asked for clarification just in case it wasn’t what they meant, because at face value it made no sense. That was all. The fact that they are likely not a native speaker is precisely why I asked for clarification in the first place!

As for “it was obvious to me”… there is actually the well-known phenomenon (among language teachers and linguists, at least) that nonnative speakers will tolerate certain errors more than native speakers, because native speakers’ parsing is more nuanced and precise to begin with. Same thing happens with pronunciation, where a native speaker’s expectations for how a certain word or sound is pronounced are narrower than for a nonnative speaker.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 04:12:31 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: alm

Offline py-bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2023, 01:46:26 am »
Contrast with many thousands of volts available on say a 250v fuse - it blows and then it'll just arc across the gap, the fuse is not guaranteed to be able to break this circuit (increase voltage as necessary to prove point)
Did you mean to write thousands of amps?

I would think py-bb meant Volts, as the Volts ultimately are driving the Amps... Also you need higher distance/clearing between the electrodes/poles of a fuse to really be able to break down the arc that is created for a moment.
There is a good reason why the 1000V fuses in a multimeter are longer than the small glass 5x20mm fuse foir household applications...
Yyyyeah…. But I don’t see what your reply has to do with mine.

My point was that the sentence “Contrast with many thousands of volts available on say a 250v fuse…” makes no sense at all. Volts are not “available” (amps are available). Volts are applied.

So you asked a question "what was that 1000s of volts bit about", I replied, as for the rest, let's read it again:

We may say a 9v battery has "9v available [across the terminals]" - it's maybe a British English thing but it's in common parlance.
I categorically reject your claim that volts are “available” is common usage, British or otherwise. We have enough British members (and many more native speakers of other dialects of English, like me) here that if it were common, we’d see it here all the time.

A voltage source provides or supplies a voltage, and a voltage is applied to something else.

You can say “I have 5, 9, and 12V available” to mean that you have those voltage sources available. But the source itself can’t have a voltage “available”.

But it makes even less sense in your usage that I commented on: a voltage “available” at a load!

Okay I've made sure you can use fuses safely, as for not understanding what "9v available" means I've explained that if that's not enough at some point someone just needs to tell you that fucking off is an available option. You're being absurdly pedantic now.

If you want to take up a terminology crusade go fight the RJ45/whatever battle for ethernet cables (yep I call them that, deal with it!)

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2023, 01:50:18 am »
Don't blow a fuse. Apparently I am the only person measuring mA behind mains. This thread is full of know-it-alls that are spewing bullshit, but I don't need to fight or be mean.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2023, 04:23:36 pm »
Okay I've made sure you can use fuses safely, as for not understanding what "9v available" means I've explained that if that's not enough at some point someone just needs to tell you that fucking off is an available option. You're being absurdly pedantic now.
I asked for clarification, which is not the same as being pedantic. Despite claiming you did, you never replied at all until the response that includes a condescending snip pretending it’s some common usage, suggesting it’s me who should know better, when it most certainly is not accepted usage.

You could have just said “oh, sorry, I just meant applying thousands of volts to a 250V fuse.”

If you want to take up a terminology crusade go fight the RJ45/whatever battle for ethernet cables (yep I call them that, deal with it!)
I call them Ethernet cables because that’s what everybody calls them. It is “common parlance”. Saying that a load has a voltage “available” at its input most decidedly is not.

Offline nightfireTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2023, 06:26:48 pm »
Got my replacement fuse today. Ordered a "Fluke" 44/100 Fuse and got a Bussmann DMM fuse delivered, no signs of Fluke stickers or so.
Interesting fact: Ordered via Voelkner, got a plastic bag with some sticker that said "Distributed by Conrad" - big name here in germany.
Best thing: Paid 10,70 € incl. sales tax for that little sucker ;-) (plus shipping, but I ordered some other stuff so i could put some rebate coupon to good use)
Maybe helps other people in need of affordable replacement...

Offline Greybeard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2023, 07:31:22 am »
Voelkner and Conrad are the same company.
Compare Voelkner and Conrad webstite: Voelkner is greenish, Conrad is blueish, parts are the same. But Voelkner is up to 50% cheaper for some parts, I compared a few years ago.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf