Author Topic: Tek 465B scope repair  (Read 3424 times)

Offline uberblitzTopic starter

Tek 465B scope repair
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:29:59 pm »
Hello,

I am sort of stumped trying to fix my Tek 465B scope. It was working fine a few weeks ago but has developed some strange issues as of late.

Symptoms:
1. With no inputs I get flat lines on both inputs. However, when I turn on scale illumination I get noise on both channels.
2. When either input is connected to the calibration output, I see two lines being drawn on the square wave.

I have checked the voltage rails on the power supply board, and the +110, +55, +15, +5, and -8 look to be within expected values and are stable.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Tek 465B scope repair
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »
Power supply lines for voltage and ripple, power supply caps for ESR.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
Well, I think the issue has a lot to do with my bench fluorescent lights :D I found that the scope started working right after I turned my lights off. That would explain why I didn't have any issues until a couple of weeks ago with it (that's when I replaced the tubes)

SO, that probably means that the main input caps are getting weak and can't filter out that stuff anymore? I don't have an ESR meter (and my dmm doesn't go up high enough to test their capacitance). Any ideas on how to test them?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:12:40 pm »
You can measure ESR with a sig gen and 'scope - see the notes here. I suspect the difficulty will be that you don't have a 2nd 'scope.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »
I will give that a try. (And I actually have 3 scopes, so it isn't an issue :-)

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:47 am »
Check the grounding contacts for the outer can, make sure they make good contact.  Also check all the screws around the vertical attenuator modules for tightness and good contact, especially the shields.  The mechanical integrity and grounding around that area is more important than one might think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf