Author Topic: Yamaha CDC-585 lens assembly  (Read 689 times)

Offline abhi1981Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Yamaha CDC-585 lens assembly
« on: May 01, 2023, 02:24:05 pm »
Hello everyone,
I have a Yamaha CDC-585 with a bad laser. Got a new laser assembly from AliExpress.

AliExpress instructions
* The components replaced must be completely the same models as the origanl  &Professional operation only .
*The laser head have anti-static point to prevent static burn laser tube as a security measure. It's better to wear an antistatic wrist strap or wash your hands
before welding and installation.
When using a high-grade anti-static soldering iron,you can remove the anti-static point directly,
ordinary iron requires special attention, heat iron to reached soldering temperature,then remember to turn off the iron's power,
prevent static of iron burn laser tube, if you need,we can do it before ship.
*Recommedation tool: soldering iron

Apart from this, should the laser assembly be connected directly to the player or it will have to be adjusted first with an oscilloscope?? Please advise.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: Yamaha CDC-585 lens assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 03:10:16 pm »
If possible first connect the FFC (ribon cable) linking the pickup to the electronics, then remove the solder blob on left of FFC on pickup.
Ideally you would adjust eye pattern amplitude with an oscilloscope and confirm laser diode current is correct for specified amplitude.

Another approach could be to measure laser current with a DMM and adjust it as low as possible still being good enough for reliable playback.

If things don't go as planned keep in mind that AliExpress sell a lot of junk.

The following users thanked this post: abhi1981

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 04:21:34 pm »
Yep, this will only work (hopefully) when the protection blob is removed.
In general, the Aliexpress pickups are not that bad, if it's a commonly used type. Usually they are just drop-in replacement and don't need adjustment (to my experience).
However shipping/packaging leaves a lot of room for improvement, that's why I almost always order 2 of them. However they are quite robust it seems.
Be careful when it's an uncommon, old or rare part - I would not trust those.

The following users thanked this post: abhi1981

Offline abhi1981Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 04:48:20 pm »
Installed it as per your instructions and its working fine.
Initially I used the original PCB with the motors because the connector was different in the  new one. But, it was skipping badly, so I desoldered the old motors out and put the new ones in. The skipping problem was fixed and its working perfectly now. Thank you shakalnokturn and Haenk for your help  :-+ :-+

1774979-2
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 04:50:03 pm by abhi1981 »

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf