Author Topic: Solved - I just had my HP Elitedesk 260 G2 "mini" to - NOT TURN ON.  (Read 122 times)

Offline bingo600Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I just had my HP Elitedesk 260 G2 "mini" to - NOT TURN ON.
It was exposed to a powerfaiure, and since then it would not turn on.

At first i thought it was the PSU , so i discarded the "Old HP PSU" but kept the 3-pin plug.
I had a Lenovo 65W with the "Square plug", I cut that plug.
And soldered the "Old HP 3-pin plug" to the Lenovo PSU VCC/GND wires, now i added a 390K resistor from Lenovo "VCC" to the HP Plug center "Needle pin"

Value deducted from here:

However in February 2024 I heard from Phillip who had been doing some experimenting. In May 2024 he followed this up with a more comprehensive list of PSU rating vs resistor values.
Power     Resistor
230W     100k
150W    121k
120W    182k
90W    294k
65W    383k
45W    500k

The HP still wouldn't power on with the new "Lenovo/HP" PSU.
But now i had light in the LAN-Port if i connected a LAN cable too the HP-mini.

I left it for a few weeks, and returned to it today.
Opened the "box" , and saw a "Bios Clear" button on the Mobo.
Pressed that a few times of 10 sec, and after connecting the "Lenovo/HP" PSU the fan began to spin !!!!!! , and the hdd lamp began to blink.

Removed power , installed a new Bios CR2032 , assembled the box and powered on again ...

IT WAS ALIVE !!!!!!

I had to redo the Bios settings (ESC to enter menu) , and now all is good again.

Well ... It had crashed my VMware ESXi (6.7) USB boot disk , but now i could build a new ESXi install disk , and install ESXi on a "fresh USB OS disk".

The HP Elitedesk 260 G2 "mini" is up and running ESXi again.

But rather weird that somehow the bios got corrupted, and that prevented the machine from turning on.

Edit:

Today when i turned it on - It was beeping 4 times , and the power lamp blinked red.

It turned out my 390k resistor was not connected anymore ...
In the summerhouse i just have 0603's , and "airwiring" such a beast was not easy.
I cut a little piece of PCB , and used that as the 0603 base , now the machine is alive again , wo. any probs.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 04:18:02 pm by bingo600 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf