Author Topic: Siglent 1202X-E recovery  (Read 6475 times)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Siglent 1202X-E recovery
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:10 pm »
Ubifs doesn't have a recovery tool, but you can try reading each file to force the kernel to check them. Then try remounting the file system read-write.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: jonathanlemoine

Offline jonathanlemoineTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 12:46:03 am »
Thanks. I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work I I'll have to wait for a parts scope or sell it for parts... Or just use it for experimentation.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 10:07:32 am »
Thanks. I'll give that a try. If it doesn't work I I'll have to wait for a parts scope or sell it for parts... Or just use it for experimentation.
Hold your horses....from factory tech support:

From the fault, we adjuge that it is most possible the hardware fault. Need to replace the mainboard.  This customer come from Canada. So please ask him to contact SIGLENT American office or info@siglent.com
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline goaty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 11:00:54 am »
Is it behaving always the same during startup ?
You could try ice-spray on memory, flash or Xilinx chip.
Also measure supply rails with scope if there is some dips.

Maby re-soldering/re-flowing (or replacing) ram/flash could also help if they are not BGA.

Offline Mark19960

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 11:16:17 am »
Well, if Siglent repairs it for a reasonable price it's certainly worth it to have them do it.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 11:42:25 am »
Mainboard exchange ain't gonna be cheap, though.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 02:11:16 pm »

From the fault, we adjuge that it is most possible the hardware fault. Need to replace the mainboard.  This customer come from Canada. So please ask him to contact SIGLENT American office or info@siglent.com
Thank you. I will contact them. I figured as much. But I'm thinking it will be expensive as thinkfat says. I'm not in need of a board right away because I have a SDS2102 (hacked of course). If it's resonable (let's say $200) then sure, it's a no brainer.

Is it behaving always the same during startup ?
You could try ice-spray on memory, flash or Xilinx chip.
Also measure supply rails with scope if there is some dips.

Maby re-soldering/re-flowing (or replacing) ram/flash could also help if they are not BGA.

I have ordered some ice-spray yesterday to try just that. I have tried heat, also pressure and it behaved the same...with that said it's not the same everytime. Most times it doesn't boot at all. Usually the only way to get it to boot is to press the math button durring startup as per the manual. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. 90% of boots are very slow (10-15min) always saying the fpga address error 0x21 and sometimes also 0x19. Also evey successful boot leaves you with a read-only filesystem preventing a self-cal. And always having the "noise", for lack of better word, on the trace. ( makes it impossible to trigger off anything useful.)

Ubifs doesn't have a recovery tool, but you can try reading each file to force the kernel to check them. Then try remounting the file system read-write.

Gave it a try but the scope hung part way through the file reading so I'm not sure if it's going to work. I am going to give it another try though.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 05:50:30 pm »
You mentioned checking all power rails, but maybe you could have a look at particularly the power rails that support the main processor? It's a Zynq-7000 series Xilinx chip, two Cortex-A9 plus a veritably sized Virtex-class FPGA. If the power supply is glitching, all bets are off. Checking for glitches on the power rail for the NAND flash might be a good idea as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 06:31:12 pm »
I'll have a look. Thanks

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:18 pm »

Thank you. I will contact them. I figured as much. But I'm thinking it will be expensive as thinkfat says. I'm not in need of a board right away because I have a SDS2102 (hacked of course). If it's resonable (let's say $200) then sure, it's a no brainer.
Until you contact them who knows but I would hope it's under warranty.
The SN# codes give the date of manufacture and the last 4 digits are just the unit # of that particular production run. Care to share all but the last 4 ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:53 pm »
Serial: SDS1ECDX3R****

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 08:11:55 pm »
Serial: SDS1ECDX3R****
Q3  2019 production I think.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:25 pm »
I contacted Siglent with my problem. They responded and said that they would do a warranty if the serial number is withing the 3 year period. So I just sent then my serial and am currently waiting for a response. :popcorn:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:14 pm »
I contacted Siglent with my problem.
So have I.  ;)
They responded and said that they would do a warranty if the serial number is withing the 3 year period. So I just sent then my serial and am currently waiting for a response. :popcorn:
Ohio should sort this all out for you but AFAIK it's AHrs there now so you might not get a reply until the 'morrow.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:52 pm »
Thanks! Yeah I figured it would be too late today. I have nothing but time for a little while anyway. I have lots of other projects that I would like to start. I don't think I'll check any anything else until I hear back. Just incase I do something very bad. Lol it would be my luck. It's a little disappointing though. It's so much more gratifying fixing something yourself.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 09:34:54 pm »
Thanks! Yeah I figured it would be too late today. I have nothing but time for a little while anyway. I have lots of other projects that I would like to start. I don't think I'll check any anything else until I hear back. Just incase I do something very bad. Lol it would be my luck. It's a little disappointing though. It's so much more gratifying fixing something yourself.
Yeah but how deep do we go with trying to fix it if it's still within warranty ?
I lost a customers one a few months back but a different fault to yours and the warranty claim was no issue.

You'll like this little 1202X-E over your older 1202X.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 12:24:18 am »

Oh it will be good to get it fixed under warranty for sure. Actually I only bought it with the hope of flipping it. I wanted to play with it but I wasn't sure I wanted to keep it. I have a 2102 not the 1202x...I bought it off eBay as an open box item and it said it was a 2102x. I was disappointed when I opened the box and found it was not an x model.. But it was new. Seller was a dick and didn't take responsibility for it but for the price it was still good so I kept it. I also have a 500mhz HP but it's not as cool as the new ones. I don't do this for a living. I'm a heavy equipment operator, electronics is just a hobby. Learn a little bit with everything I fix.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 12:37:32 am »

Oh it will be good to get it fixed under warranty for sure. Actually I only bought it with the hope of flipping it. I wanted to play with it but I wasn't sure I wanted to keep it. I have a 2102 not the 1202x...I bought it off eBay as an open box item and it said it was a 2102x. I was disappointed when I opened the box and found it was not an x model.. But it was new. Seller was a dick and didn't take responsibility for it but for the price it was still good so I kept it. I also have a 500mhz HP but it's not as cool as the new ones. I don't do this for a living. I'm a heavy equipment operator, electronics is just a hobby. Learn a little bit with everything I fix.
Oh, OK. Did you see what Defpom did with the SDS2102 I sold him ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 09:04:16 am »
Yup. And thanks to the wonderful people here I got all the codes to unlock the features. Funny thing is TheDefpom is kinda the reason I got into electronics. I started way back aligning/repairing CB radios. It's been growing from there and I watch most of his videos.(he's sort of an idol). Among many others. I didn't realize you were the one that sold him that. That's cool. Small world.

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:11 am »
 :)
Dropped the SDS2104X Plus to him yesterday and he did a 38 min video on it last night !  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 02:40:09 pm »
I watched it first thing this morning. That is one nice scope. I could never justify it but a guy can dream. :-+

Offline goaty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 03:08:25 pm »
Just wished these chinese manufacturers would get a grip on their model numbering scheme.

SDS1000DL+, SDS1000CML+, SDS1000CFL
SDS1000X-E, SDS1000X, SDS1000X+
SDS2000X-E, SDS2000X, SDS2000X Plus,
SDS5000X

Gimme a break

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2020, 12:54:37 am »
Just wished these chinese manufacturers would get a grip on their model numbering scheme.

SDS1000DL+, SDS1000CML+, SDS1000CFL
SDS1000X-E, SDS1000X, SDS1000X+
SDS2000X-E, SDS2000X, SDS2000X Plus,
SDS5000X

Gimme a break
You missed a heap more that are only made for Asian and rebrand markets.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2020, 01:04:27 am »
I haven't heard back from siglent. I think they forgot about me. Or maybe the are not in the office anymore with the Corona virus. I'll send them another email tomorrow I guess. They were quick with the first response but now they left me hanging.

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2020, 02:13:15 pm »
Well they got back to me. It would be under warranty but they won't because I opened it. No suprise there. I guess I didn't need to spend all of that time protecting the warranty sticker. :-// lol. So a repair with the shipping would run about $200 USD. Alternatively they could also get me a discount from a vendor on a new one. If I got it fixed I could probably recoup some of my money or I could throw it in the parts bin.... Can't really decide. Any opinions?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf