Author Topic: BK Precision programmable PFC DC supply VSP 12010 120V/10A Power Supply  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Vietk123Topic starter

• Contributor
I just recently bought a BK Precision programmable PFC DC supply VSP 12010 120V/10A power supply for $40. I went home and try it and only the fan turn on but no light on the led or anywhere except the power button. I figure it might not work when i bought it. My question is are these unit easy to repair. I am planning on opening it and take a look around. What do i have to look out for as far as safety and voltage ? Is this unit worth repairing and can i use it as a power supply for electronic repair? Please help I am a total newbie and would love to learn electronic repair. Thanks in advanced

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: BK Precision programmable PFC DC supply VSP 12010 120V/10A Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:57:59 am »
Do you want to do repair in the future? This will be a nice experience, but it is not the best "first step" for a beginner...
You are dealing with mains and 120VDC and it is not a simple circuit I assume...

Think twice, triple measure everything, and use the rule "always one hand in your pocket"... Anyway it is all up to you, not to a EEVBlog at the end of the day. It´s your skin not mine...

If you are too scared sell it here at 50$, better to have 10$ in your pocket than to have a bad or dangerous experience.

Anyway open it up and take some pictures... the EE dragons here will give you some further advices..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:24:29 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vietk123

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:28:06 am »
Have you downloaded the manual and checked that the unit is configured for local operation? The unit appears to have a remote on/off facility - if you're lucky it might just need to be changed to local operation.

And be careful!

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:29:06 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I am collecting tools to do electronic repair in the future. How do beginners start out to learn electronic? When I have some free time I will take it apart and take all the picture I can.  I am guessing this is not a good unit for maybe cell phone and laptop logic board testing if I am able to get it fix? Can someone point me as a beginning to how to start basic beginner electronic repair? Please help point me in the right direction. I have download the manual but it all looks new to me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:31:05 pm by Vietk123 »

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:04 pm »
I am guessing this is not a good unit for maybe cell phone and laptop logic board testing if I am able to get it fix?
No it's not a good unit for low-voltage work. With 120V available at 10A any mistake will zap whatever is connected - including you. This is potentially a letahal power supply - treat it with care and respect. It would probably be better to flip it on ebay and buy a lower votlage unit with the profits.
If you can follow the manual to check the configuration you might be able to get it full operation - I would strongly advise against doing any further fault-finding - DONT MESS WITH IT.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 05:12:21 pm »
Yeah i think i will try to get it working again and sell it and buy a new unit. what do u guys recommend as a reliable and affordable unit for smart phone and laptop logic board testing. I did manage to get it open real fast and take pictures and put it back together right away.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:23:56 pm by Vietk123 »

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:27 pm »
Here is more pictures. Hopefully anyone can help me get it working again but I am not gonna touch inside again. Thanks  8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:37:49 pm by Vietk123 »

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 07:43:16 pm »
It doesn't look like a TDK-Lambda job to me, otherwise I might have said it was definitely worth to repair, now I'm not that sure.
Repairing this is not really suitable for a beginner. Sell it on or stash it until you've gained more experience with repairs.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14:10 pm »
Yeah I wanted to once again thanks everyone for the great precaution and input. It looks like it is set to Local Operation in the back. I might just get rid of it and save myself the trouble for now. What kinda unit will I need for smart phone and laptops repair? What voltage and Amp should i look for?

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 10:42:43 pm »
Look into any writing on the board for clues on a manufacturer/model designation. Kepco possibly.
it has rubycons in it, so it cant be to bad.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf