Author Topic: Tektronix 2230 scope mechanical parts  (Read 894 times)

Offline THM60Topic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 2230 scope mechanical parts
« on: November 17, 2022, 03:14:48 pm »
Hi,

I am restoring a Tek 2230 scope that endured a numbskull's attack who tried to repair it. His brain dead approach to "servicing" the blown PSU ended in sawing the chassis to gain access to it :palm: .  Best part is that he decided to secure the chopped aluminium bit with hot melt glue :wtf:

Of course, not understanding what he was doing, he abandonned the project midway and didn't care to reassemble the chassis, throwing away some parts.  And replaced the blown 2A fuse with a 5A one. For some mysterious reason, he didn't use aluminium foil or paper clip instead of fuse.

So, I'm looking essentially  for :
- two plastic hinges for the upper board. Tektronix part number : 214-3327-01 (see drawing)
- a pinch of screws that were lost in the battle or thrown in the bin: machine screw 4-40 x 0.25, flanged head. Here in Europe we have almost zero access to such imperial threaded screws... 

For entertainment purposes you can have a look at the carnage here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/8B4YyACh2ZtfrG8d9

Thanks for your kind attention.

1641659-01641665-1
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:21:17 pm by THM60 »

Offline George Edmonds

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2230 scope mechanical parts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 05:21:03 pm »
Hi

If you do an eBay search for 4-40 UNC screws you will find the screws you are looking for.  I don’t understand the flanged head part, do you mean Counter Sunk or Flat Head, if it is Flat Head ones you require I have a large number of stainless steel ones you can have some of for the cost of postage.  You also will need to give the length of the screws you require.

G Edmonds

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 05:34:55 pm »
Hi

If you do an eBay search for 4-40 UNC screws you will find the screws you are looking for.  I don’t understand the flanged head part, do you mean Counter Sunk or Flat Head, if it is Flat Head ones you require I have a large number of stainless steel ones you can have some of for the cost of postage.  You also will need to give the length of the screws you require.

G Edmonds

Thank you for the tip, very kind of you for offering flat head screws. Sorry for wrong description, I had Counter Sunk in mind. I don't have an eBay account anymore (may sound weird but for personal reasons I decided to boycott eBay).

Best regards,

Thierry

EDIT : found what I need on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RF2TC86/  and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RF1258V/

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:57:26 pm by THM60 »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 10:08:23 pm »
Let me guess you bought this from "Pablo"...?
I asked him if he would send the scope:
"OK can do."
Asked if it was complete although not working:
"Yes but for parts only... Internal access is very hard."
He then kept insisting on the fact that it was for parts. When I realised he didn't really want to send it I asked for his justification in saying it wasn't repairable.The prick never bothered replying.

I'm glad he gave up on me after all.

Good luck with the restoration.

Edit: I doubt I have screws, I may have a spare PSU shielding plate around if needed, won't be free though I need cash.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 10:13:38 pm by shakalnokturn »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 05:56:42 pm »
Let me guess you bought this from "Pablo"...?

Ah ah ah spot on  :-DD
As I live about 30 minutes drive from the old fart I went to pick the poor thing, it  was quite cheap anyway.

Shocked by the massacre I discovered later on in the poor Tek I sent "Pablo" a message containing words like dumbass, moron, numbskull, goofy etc. to qualify the author of such inept "repair" attempt. He didn't reply, and thanks to your post I now understand why :) (he he pretended that "someone" had already tried to assess the problem). Anyway What kind of moron would assume a piece of equipment must have been welded together to keep you from getting at a circuit board rather than simply being more clever than the repairman is ?

Grumble mode over, back to restoration : so far I replaced Q9070, CR908, R909, Q908. Today I think I found what made the fuse blow : CR901 is shorted. I keep my fingers crossed hoping that nothing was damaged downstream.  Working in this 2230 PSU takes obstetrician skills  :o
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 06:12:24 pm by THM60 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf