Author Topic: Restoring dried solder flux paste  (Read 16100 times)

Offline ubuntuwi

Re: Restoring dried solder flux paste
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2021, 09:13:22 am »
The tacky flux in syringes contain petroleum jelly as well. Unfortunately the fraction of it is a secret. I think a third of the weight can not be bad. So you have 1 part rosin, 1part IPA or other alcohol and 1 part petroleum jelly.

I think it's a recipe like:
55% petroleum jelly
40% rosin
5% alcohol
because Vaseline is a rosin thinner ... 
(Hi I'm new to the forum, I would like to participate)

The following users thanked this post: englishrupe01

Offline SilverSolderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 01:43:32 am »
The tacky flux in syringes contain petroleum jelly as well. Unfortunately the fraction of it is a secret. I think a third of the weight can not be bad. So you have 1 part rosin, 1part IPA or other alcohol and 1 part petroleum jelly.

I think it's a recipe like:
55% petroleum jelly
40% rosin
5% alcohol
because Vaseline is a rosin thinner ... 
(Hi I'm new to the forum, I would like to participate)

Welcome to the flux party, @Ubuntuwi

Have you tried making the recipe you suggested?

Offline ubuntuwi

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2021, 11:48:52 am »
SilverSolder
yes, I tried to make the recipe that I suggested!: in a few days I will publish some tricks, which I learned immediately, in the meantime I tell you: you have to mix the rosin powder with vaseline, (cold), then using a stove electric, put everything in an earthenware pot, bring the temperature to 130 ° celsius, (everything melts) mix with a piece of wood; always turn ... when you see that the rosin wants to separate from the petroleum jelly ... spray the alcohol, isopropilic. (at this point the temperature should be around 80 ° celsius, and hot alcohol is soluble with rosin, but also with petroleum jelly, all this giving an inseparable mixture). continue to mix until cool.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, SilverSolder, englishrupe01, netsecrets00

Offline netsecrets00

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2022, 12:46:31 pm »
ubuntuwi waiting for your tricks

Offline englishrupe01

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2022, 05:02:22 pm »
ubuntuwi waiting for your tricks

Yep, me too, please, Ubuntwi.....tell us your tricks?

Offline Trurl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2024, 03:45:07 pm »
... avoid 'violin rosin' as it may have additives undesirable in flux.  If the country isn't 'dry' you can probably also get 95% pure ethanol, though you may have to settle for denatured alcohol.   Provided you let the mixed flux settle out and decant it to remove undissolved solids, detritus that was embedded in the rosin, and any aqueous layer, the resulting liquid flux is comparable to commercial ROL0 (unactivated rosin 'R') flux.
I have some approximately 30 year old D'Addario Rosin DARK (for violin bow I used on a Korean gayagum zither), 95% ethanol, and "fancy" Vaseline brand "petrolatum", so for a moment I considered the possibility of  making my own "brew".  But considering this rosin's ingredients: American Gum Rosin, Natural Beeswax, Castor Bean Oil, Tar and also the confession by someone that has made something that works such as jpanhalt that he, "would never consider making, rather than buying a flux" I've decided to face practical reality, and just order some Chip Quick SMD291.

Thank ya'll for this crazy ride. I'm sufficiently "de-ignorantized" about soldering paste. >:D Cheers~
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 04:17:37 pm by Trurl »

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2024, 01:08:45 pm »
Tar would be an undesirable additive, because of its tendency to stick tenaciously to surfaces, which would impair cleaning. Along with the castor oil, its function in violin rosin would seem to be to prevent flaking off when the bow is used.
The smell of hot tar would be impressive, however.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf