Author Topic: Reputable source in EU/germany for multimeter fuses?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline nightfireTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Reputable source in EU/germany for multimeter fuses?
« on: April 02, 2023, 03:19:50 am »
In my main handheld multimeter (U1272A) the 440mA fuse has decided to release the magic smoke some time ago- as I do not use it often to measure current, I detected it as of today...

Agilent provided a 10x35mm 1000V fuse, ceramic- part nr. 50 210 06.
This seems not to be in stock with the sources I normally order, also possible replacement models are not on the menu, or somewhat more expensive.
I mean, if it is only the Fluke-provide BUSS fuses I can  get, I also will happily put them in, but would like to be able to order from some other source where I pay around 10 € for a fuse and not 20+

Questions here:
- Are there any secret tips for mailorder shops that sell  them? Or some big "usual" suspect, that I missed? (I order usually not from distributors like digikey, but rather consumer-oriented shops like Reichelt etc.)
- Would it make sense to compile some list of manufacturers of multimeter fuses that are reliable, also for reference to other people?
- Should I maybe start some new side-business and sell that stuff out of my livingroom? *g*

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Reputable source in EU/germany for multimeter fuses?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:57:07 am »
That is a Siba part number. In Germany I would try them first.
Multimeter fuses are a specialty item, with associated price-gouging and profiteering and fakes. They are ridiculously expensive.
p/n 50-210-06/0.44A (or maybe 50 210 06.0.44) for 440mA 1,000V 10x35mm (not 38mm!) DMI (for digital measuring instruments) URZ series 30kA interrupt
RS Stock No. 736-1428

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 01:42:25 pm »
ebay, Chinese sellers have all the specific VOM fuses.

Alternative is Amazon

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 01:44:45 pm »
Yes, but chinese sellers, that have Bassmann fuses (compatible Fluke...) or SIBA fuses for a third of what I am paying in germany for a SIBA fuse, are sources I am afraid of ordering...
Also via ebay I actually only get resellers in the UK, which means a hefty premium for shipping.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 02:01:07 pm »

Alternative is Amazon
You know better than to recommend either of those sites. Who knows what kind of crap counterfeit fuse you might get. Even if it’s not relevant for the OP, if they ever sell or give away that meter, the new owner might not know it has a potentially unsafe fuse in it. The OP asked for reputable sources and you list the most disreputable ones possible…  :palm:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:06:06 pm by tooki »

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 02:12:24 pm »
I wonder: what's behind the design decision of specifying
10x35 mm fuses instead of the more common 10x38 mm types?
To save 3 mm of space? Really? :palm:

Conrad has your fuse:
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/eska-dmm-44-1000-feinsicherung-x-l-10-3-mm-x-35-mm-0-44-a-1000-v-superflink-ff-inhalt-1-st-396821.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:14:06 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 02:33:15 pm »
In my main handheld multimeter (U1272A) the 440mA fuse has decided to release the magic smoke some time ago- as I do not use it often to measure current, I detected it as of today...

Agilent provided a 10x35mm 1000V fuse, ceramic- part nr. 50 210 06.
This seems not to be in stock with the sources I normally order, also possible replacement models are not on the menu, or somewhat more expensive.
I mean, if it is only the Fluke-provide BUSS fuses I can  get, I also will happily put them in, but would like to be able to order from some other source where I pay around 10 € for a fuse and not 20+

Questions here:
- Are there any secret tips for mailorder shops that sell  them? Or some big "usual" suspect, that I missed? (I order usually not from distributors like digikey, but rather consumer-oriented shops like Reichelt etc.)
- Would it make sense to compile some list of manufacturers of multimeter fuses that are reliable, also for reference to other people?
- Should I maybe start some new side-business and sell that stuff out of my livingroom? *g*
Basically, excluding Chinese no-name stuff, I am only aware of three companies that make the 440mA, 10.3x35mm multimeter fuse:

Bussmann (DMM-B-44/100 or DMM-44/100-R)
Littelfuse (0FLU.440T, FLU 44/1000)
SIBA (5021006.0.44)

Any of these are interchangeable and I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of them. My Fluke came with Bussmann, my Keysight came with SIBA.

However, in practice you’ll find that the cheapest way to buy these (and be sure they’re genuine) is usually to get them sold by Fluke, as Fluke part number 943121.

How about Conrad? They’re consumer-friendly and sell the Fluke-packaged one for €12: https://www.conrad.de/de/p/fluke-943121-dmm-b-44-100-sicherung-ersatzsicherung-440-ma-1000-v-1-st-126373.html If there’s a Conrad shop near you, I think you can have it sent there and not pay shipping.

Farnell has the SIBA ones at a great price:
https://de.farnell.com/en-DE/siba/5021006-0-44/fuse-for-dmi-1000vac-dc-10x35/dp/1827166

P.S. This old post of mine covers much the same info, but includes the 11A fuses, too.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 02:38:19 pm »
Either get them from Brymen or use SIBA. Fluke branded fuses usually have reasonable cost in pack of 5.
https://brymen.eu/shop/fuse-0-44a-1000v-10x38-mm/
https://eleshop.eu/multimeter-fuse-brymen.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:40:24 pm by wraper »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 02:42:21 pm »
Thanks for the information so far!

Conrad is one of the usual suspects I would consider to order- here is a hint that maybe applies to other german customers: Voelkner online shop also resells large quantities of goods with Conrad stickers on them, so I suspect they have some cooperation going on. But with Voelkner the exact same article is mostly significantly cheaper...

After doing some homework, I think the Fluke branded Bussmann fuses will be the ones that I order- there is a reseller that has it for approx 10 € AND I have gotten some rebate coupon as "valued customer, please buy again" last week ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Detlev

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 02:42:50 pm »

Alternative is Amazon

j
And you get fake junk.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 02:44:34 pm »
Of course not. It’s a safety feature. It’s to prevent the user from inserting the two fuses into the wrong holders. With many meters that use these fuses (maybe all?) you’ll find that the housing of the multimeter won’t even close if the 38mm fuse is inserted into the 35mm fuse holder. That way, you can’t fry the low-current shunt by pushing 10A through it with the wrong fuse in. If you do the opposite, putting the 440mA fuse into the 11A holder, you’ll blow that fuse, but not the meter.

The following users thanked this post: colourlessgreenideas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 02:47:17 pm »

Usually not only to save space, this is a rather nice side-effect. It prevents people from shoving the cheaper 10x38 fuses in it, and helps prevent a mixup of the bigger 10A fuses accidentally inserted in the wrong slot.
A 10x35 inserted in the 10A slot will "only" act earlier, so no damage done, a 10A fuse in the <1A socket could cause significant damage.
In 10x38 you get also some household characteristics with rated voltage up to 500V, or special stuff for motor starters etc.
10x35 is more exclusive and mostly used for semiconductor protection.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, colourlessgreenideas

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 03:57:51 pm »
Agilent provided a 10x35mm 1000V fuse
So you want to buy the exact fuse cheaper, or you want to use different more popular fuse for this job?

Do you need 1000V multimeter or you just did not think over this purchase? Maintenance of a CAT IV 1000V gear is naturally more expensive than CAT III 300V, do not be surprised.

There are off-the shelf available fuses that can deal with 500V, prospective fault currents in 100kA range and those that have quite low i2t but I doubt you'll find the ones that suit Agilent.
ETI 002620017 is 1€, mind I have no idea what your job is, maybe you dive into 1kV 100F capacitor banks daily.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2023, 04:29:59 pm »
In the actual application I use my U1272A at home at my private "workbench". Mostly repair work of some appliances up tp 230V AC, and rarely measuring currents at this limit.
Other than that, it is usually some electronics where the Voltage is below 25V.
I got  this DMM as a good shot on ebay, otherwise probably some lesser specc'ed DMM would live with me now...

What I want is basicallly quality stuff, and as the shops that sell to private customers have whether no stock or a broad variation of prices, I am on the lookout for a reputable source that charges reasonable prices.
Might sound nitpicking, but the lowest price (plus shipping) is aroung 10 €, and same stuff sells elsewhere for nearly 20 €- for the difference I can order a second fuse or some other stuff.
What I definitely not want is fake stuff for a fraction of the price that is unreliable.

Due to the issues to get SIBA fuses as a direct replacement, I would also be happy to put in a similar specified alternative, like the Fluke version with its OEMs- those have better availability right now and some of my frequented suppliers carry them.

In case no supplier would have fitting replacements, I  would have looked to replace it temporarily with another fuse with lesser rated voltage, as I actually do not need 1000V in my line of work.
As I am familiar with reading the curves of fuses, I would have looked at similar breaking capacity and I²t values.

Offline Detlev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 04:44:17 pm »
unfortunately I also can't find  any good shops where you can buy high-quality components. I wanted to buy two Radiall cables from RS (500€), after ordering I got an email that I was not being supplied.

Ordering in the US is actually out of the question for me.

Buying expensive measuring devices is not a problem, but it fails with an HF cable.... :-//
This post is "Made in Germany" 😎

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
Agilent provided a 10x35mm 1000V fuse
So you want to buy the exact fuse cheaper, or you want to use different more popular fuse for this job?
Do you need 1000V multimeter or you just did not think over this purchase? Maintenance of a CAT IV 1000V gear is naturally more expensive than CAT III 300V, do not be surprised.

There are off-the shelf available fuses that can deal with 500V, prospective fault currents in 100kA range and those that have quite low i2t but I doubt you'll find the ones that suit Agilent.
ETI 002620017 is 1€, mind I have no idea what your job is, maybe you dive into 1kV 100F capacitor banks daily.
How is any bit of this response helpful?!?

The one you link to is the wrong size, with me already having explained in detail above why that size won’t fit.  :palm:

If you knew anything about the multimeter fuse market, you’d know that there aren’t any cheaper alternative fuses. Very few fuses exist in the necessary size (10.3x35mm), and the alternatives are not cheaper!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 04:51:46 pm »
Due to the issues to get SIBA fuses as a direct replacement
What “issues”? I already showed you where to get the SIBA fuse for €8. Just order enough stuff to meet the 55 euro threshold for free shipping. If not, it’s 8 euros shipping: “*7,95 € Versandkosten bei Bestellungen unter 55 € mit einer Lieferung in der Regel am nächsten Werktag.”

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 05:31:23 pm »
Mostly repair work of some appliances up tp 230V AC, and rarely measuring currents at this limit.
Use clamp meter for mains AC current jobs. You cannot blow a fuse in clamp ammeter.

As for Agilent - you could convert a fuse holder for something of different size and most likely lower ratings, and downgrade measurement rating. Other option is to use lead with external fuse holder and i2t smaller than i2t of internal fuse. A fuse protecting the fuse. Not very practical dangling fuse but if one musts.. IEC60127-2/1 fuses cost 1€ for 10-pack.

The one you link to is the wrong size(..)
Not only size is different but also voltage, current rating and a bunch of other points of specification. My post was to show OP that one can buy a 500mA range fuse that can deal with 400VAC and 100kA environment (and most likely higher i2t), for €1. It was hard to guess from our 1kV capacitor bank expert posts what he really needs. It seems even that fuse is overkill for his "repair work of some appliances up tp 230V AC" needs. "Repair work of appliances" is CAT II and he won't find voltages exceeding 250V in there.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 05:42:02 pm »
Bussmann fuse prices are off the charts in North America, USD $75 for the DMM-B-44/100 !  :rant:  I wonder if they are better priced in Europe?
2012 Eaton buys Cooper $12B (Bussmann) and jacks up the price - I even emailed Eaton and flamed them to no effect regarding their highway robbery.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 05:54:32 pm »
@tooki: I wanted to tell Alti that this was the originating issue, that on first glance lots of overpriced offers were about to be seen- but luckily, some decent offerings appeared with suppliers that seem to have the stuff in stock
@Alti: The things I measure with mains reference are usually too small to give correct readings on a clampmeter. I measure leakage currents and such, or the power consumption of E27 lightbulbs with LEDs- here we are talking about mA. And a proper leakage current clamp is actually not in the upper third of my wishlist...

@floobydust: By chance, I went to Welectron and could see Bussmann fuses there, 9,50 € each plus shipping ;-)

But this is dangerous- they also could supply me with lots of things that could trigger some GAS :-)

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 06:10:38 pm »
I measure leakage currents and such, or the power consumption of E27 lightbulbs with LEDs- here we are talking about mA.
I am not sure what this Agilent can but something tells me you cannot measure power with it. As for measuring small currents of mains powered LEDs then you must know these usually start from rectifier and huge capacitor so if you want to use €10 super fast 400mA fuses for that - be prepared for expenses.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 06:19:52 pm »
For reference, maybe it helps others, I compiled some data from several datasheets and information of suppliers.
Stuff is still incomplete, as it was not easy to get detailed datasheets of some fuses from the manufacturers website in a hurry.

Basically it boils down to the following facts:
If you want or need a 1000V fuse for your DMM in 10x35 or 10x38, there are basically SIBA, Bussmann and Littelfuse that manufacture the fuses that you can get in the USA or EU. Popular rebrand is Fluke with its own part numbers. Depending on the supplier and package size, those might in some countries easier to get.

Manufacturer   Number   Extension   Size (mm)   Rated Current   Rated Voltage   breaking capacity
                                                    Ampere           Volts                   kA
SIBA                   5021006   440          10x35   0,44                   1000   30
SIBA                   5021006   400          10x35   0,4                   1000   30
SIBA                   5019906   10          10x38   10                   1000   30
SIBA                   5019906   „05“          10x38   0,5                   1000   30
SIBA                  5019906   1          10x38   1                   1000   30
Bussmann/Eaton   DMM-B-44/100 10x35   0,44                   1000   10
Bussmann/Eaton   DMM-B-11A      10x38   11                   1000   20
Fluke        943121            10x35           0,44                   1000   10
Fluke        203403            10x38           11                   1000   20
Fluke        203411               
Fluke        2279229            6,3x32   0,315                1000   
Fluke        803293               
Littelfuse       FLU.440            10x35           0,44                   1000   10
Littelfuse       FLU011            10x38           11                   1000   20
Ferraz Shawmut   FSM44/100               
Ferraz Shawmut   FSM11               

The following users thanked this post: tooki, alm

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2023, 06:22:45 pm »
Bussmann fuse prices are off the charts in North America, USD $75 for the DMM-B-44/100 !  :rant:  I wonder if they are better priced in Europe?
$12-$25 in Ukraine, and consider yourself lucky if they're in stock. Last time when I fried the DMM-B-44/100 in my BM869s, they weren't in stock locally, so I had to order some from Aliexpress. Got two lots: one was $5.23 for 2 * DMM-B-44/100-R, another was $10.80 for DMM-44/100-R + DMM-11AR. No idea whether they are genuine, but they look the same as the genuine ones. When I shake them, I can hear the sand filling inside. I'll try my best to avoid verifying that they blow at the rated current though :).

I measured their resistance with a TR-1035+:

DMM-11AR: 9.0 mOhm
DMM-44/100-R: 758 mOhm
DMM-B-44/100-R: 760 mOhm

It would be interesting to compare them to some definitely genuine fuses of the same type. If someone has them and can measure resistance, please do and post results.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 06:26:53 pm by shapirus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2023, 06:26:04 pm »
I measure leakage currents and such, or the power consumption of E27 lightbulbs with LEDs- here we are talking about mA.
I am not sure what this Agilent can but something tells me you cannot measure power with it. As for measuring small currents of mains powered LEDs then you must know these usually start from rectifier and huge capacitor so if you want to use €10 super fast 400mA fuses for that - be prepared for expenses.
Yes, there is no real energy measurement mode like in the Gossen  Metrahit Energy or Voltcraft VC870, but can get some rough idea what I have in front of me. In the near future this setup will be refined to get along with probably the 3-multimeter method for measuring energy consumption.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2023, 10:18:30 pm »
2012 Eaton buys Cooper $12B (Bussmann) and jacks up the price - I even emailed Eaton and flamed them to no effect regarding their highway robbery.
Nope, the prices are no better here, which is why the advice is the same: buy them repackaged from Fluke.

I don’t think the Eaton purchase has anything to do with it, they’ve always been expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf