Author Topic: Repair of Sharper Image SI868 Ionizer Fan - Found at the curb.  (Read 4041 times)

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
Greetings EEVBees:

--If you have a DMM and can solder, you can get some good things for your, family or friends, or even make a dollar or two, with just a little effort. I badly need a good fan, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this Sharper Image SI868 Electronic Spire Fan by the side of the road. It is very clean, and almost no dust build up on the inside, which indicates that it became inoperable a while ago and has been sitting in a closet somewhere for lo these many years. Amazon lists these, used, for $100 or so. Motor works when hooked up to 120V. So I spudged the long front panel off, and from there it was easy to get to and desolder the button board and the control board. Button board checked out OK. Below are the contemporaneous notes, and pictures I made when checking the components. As you can see the culprit would seem to be the 6.1 Volts, 1 Amp Zener. I have ordered 3 of same only at 1.3 Amps from DigiKey for a total of $3.44 shipping included, and will report back after installation. And, as per usual, I have replaced the no name caps with name brands at 105C and 25V. I can almost feel that ionized breeze already, I had better have my straw hat, hammock, and cool libations at the ready.

Sharper Image SI868 Electronic Spire Fan - Made in April 2003
Name  Brand  Temp  Value   Volts   ESRin  ESRout   Cond.  ESR of NEW
C4      JAKEC  105    470   16   0.12     0.10                     0.02
C5     JAKEC  105    470   16   0.09   0.10                     
C6     CDIIO   85      47   16   0.14    0.86                             0.16            
20 Pin Dip Chip SC8207A4KS Fan Remote Control Decoder has no shorts, and fan can be operated without it in any case.
Fuse 1A Good
T1,T2,T3,T4,T5 - MAC97 A6 PHL2N Triacs All Good
D1, D2 Good
D3 - 1N4733A 6.1 Volt, 1 Amp Zener Diode is completely open - Blown - Eureka!!!

--Sorry about the justification of the text, but SMF makes complete mincemeat of any attempt to copy in columnated text.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
Eric Arthur Blair - George Orwell 1903 -1950

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:26:30 am by SgtRock »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair of Sharper Image SI868 Ionizer Fan - Found at the curb.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:03:08 am »
Just check the 2u5 capacitor as well, it will probably need to be replaced if it is low in value.

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:43 am »
Dear Sean:

--The Zener just came in from DigiKey. I checked the 2uF cap. It read 2.04 so I am leaving in place for now. I soldered in the Zener, resoldered the power and control wires, and reassembled. I am now basking in the cool breeze. Thanks for the help.

--Just to check on the availability of the obsolete DIP20 SC8207A4KS Fan Remote Control Decoder Chip, I sent a quote request to Alibaba, so far only 39 of the 40 have responded. A replacement chip can be had at $30 for 10, shipping included. But, luckily I do not think I will need one. I just managed to find a remote for $15.

"I've found out so much about electricity that I've reached the point where I understand nothing and can explain nothing."
Pieter van Musschenbroek 1692  -  1761

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »
Good, I need a heater, as it is cold here at 20C......... You get so used to the summer heat that the mild cool of winter feels cold. Then again, I have lived in the hottest place in South Africa, and spent time in some of the colder metropolitan areas. I got used to them all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf