Author Topic: [Resolved] Do I have to buy at least 50 when I need only one of this part?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline max.wwwangTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I'm in need for a micro switch for a machine that I'm repairing. Its Part number is AH17846, exactly as this one. Also shown in the photo below. Actually, I only need the lever of it but I think it's unrealistic to want to buy a part of a part.

This is available, such as from Digi-key. However, it seems I must buy at least 50 of it. Is there a place from where I can buy one (or maybe 5 but not 50)?

[By the way, I think I lost this bit when I was cleaning the machine with a vacuum. I was aware of the risk of sucking away tiny loose parts (which should be rare), so I was careful. But this still happened (I strongly suspect though there are other possibilities). And I dissected the dust bag and combed through its content (disgusting), but without success. So I have to buy a replacement because I'm not happy with dirty and ugly hacks.]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:08:14 pm by max.wwwang »
Neutral | grounded

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Do I have to buy at least 50 when I need only one of this part?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:04:54 am »
That's an unusual shaped microswitch lever.   You could buy a long lever one, remove the lever and carefully bend it to shape. 

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 09:18:13 am »
Does it have to be that brand?  Newark has a similar looking switch in singles: https://www.newark.com/c/switches-relays/switches/microswitch-snap-action-switches?microswitch-actuator=simulated-roller-lever

Can you substitute a true roller action microswitch, which seem more common?.

There are other sources too.  Be sure to get adequate voltage and current ratings.  If the machine is in a highly regulated environment (e.g., inspected by the FDA of FAA in the US), then you may need an exact  replacement, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what you said.

Offline sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 10:53:12 am »
Mouser lists MOQ of 1, but none in stock, not sure about NZ but in Australia min order size for free shipping is $60AUD:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/AH178461?qs=55YtniHzbhAXej8XC8UCHw%3D%3D

The following users thanked this post: max.wwwang

Offline cruff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 03:00:21 pm »
Can you adapt another similar switch lead style? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electric-works/AH1764619-A/644941 is available in single quantity.

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 04:22:29 pm »
You can grab them from mouser in smaller quantities https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/AH178461?qs=55YtniHzbhAXej8XC8UCHw%3D%3D&_gl=1*17fgnxy*_ga*NjExMDM3NzIyLjE2ODE2NjI4NTI.*_ga_15W4STQT4T*MTY5NDk2NzY2OC4xOC4xLjE2OTQ5Njc3MTIuMC4wLjA.*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*MTY5NDk2NzY2OC4xOC4xLjE2OTQ5Njc3MTIuMTYuMC4w

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 05:20:35 pm »
you can definately mod them. its a good use for spot welders.

You just need to get the correct type of steel, you can get it as replacement parts for home furnaces, then bend and chop it to your required dimensions, and use diamond files and stones to smooth it out.

But there is a caviat, I would rather buy 50 then make a DIY one that works as some kind of interlock. You don't want a DIY switch mod for a limit switch or door interlock.

The lever force changes the stress on the plastic and it could cause all sorts of problems if you mess with the lever. for all you know they took special precuations with the feed stock for certain switches at the factory.

if the switch breaks and it prevents you from operating the machine that is one thing. if the switch breaks and the machine disables safety interlocks then you dont wanna fuck around there. out of service vs worse

they like to use these switches for lock out of various kinds.

Would still argue that a temporary repair is better then the 'duct tape the interlock to finish the job' though. But the lawyers will never see it that way huh? that is between you and god... I put this here as harm reduction lol
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:31:07 pm by coppercone2 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 05:06:43 am »
you can definately mod them. its a good use for spot welders.

You just need to get the correct type of steel, you can get it as replacement parts for home furnaces, then bend and chop it to your required dimensions, and use diamond files and stones to smooth it out.

But there is a caviat, I would rather buy 50 then make a DIY one that works as some kind of interlock. You don't want a DIY switch mod for a limit switch or door interlock.

The lever force changes the stress on the plastic and it could cause all sorts of problems if you mess with the lever. for all you know they took special precuations with the feed stock for certain switches at the factory.

if the switch breaks and it prevents you from operating the machine that is one thing. if the switch breaks and the machine disables safety interlocks then you dont wanna fuck around there. out of service vs worse

they like to use these switches for lock out of various kinds.

Would still argue that a temporary repair is better then the 'duct tape the interlock to finish the job' though. But the lawyers will never see it that way huh? that is between you and god... I put this here as harm reduction lol

Thanks> It's not a safety-critical case. So fiddling around is ok. I thought about finding a piece of thin sheet metal but have not come up with the proper raw material  (I guess Coke tin is too thin, plus is aluminium so not rigid enough).
Neutral | grounded

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 05:07:24 am »
That's an unusual shaped microswitch lever.   You could buy a long lever one, remove the lever and carefully bend it to shape.

Definitely, that's one option.
Neutral | grounded

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 05:10:25 am »
Does it have to be that brand?  Newark has a similar looking switch in singles: https://www.newark.com/c/switches-relays/switches/microswitch-snap-action-switches?microswitch-actuator=simulated-roller-lever

Can you substitute a true roller action microswitch, which seem more common?.

There are other sources too.  Be sure to get adequate voltage and current ratings.  If the machine is in a highly regulated environment (e.g., inspected by the FDA of FAA in the US), then you may need an exact  replacement, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what you said.

Does not have to be the same brand; Any brand is ok. Not HV high-risk scenarios.

The Newark one looks close, will have a closer look. Roller definitely is ok if not better. Thanks.
Neutral | grounded

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 05:11:23 am »
Mouser lists MOQ of 1, but none in stock, not sure about NZ but in Australia min order size for free shipping is $60AUD:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/AH178461?qs=55YtniHzbhAXej8XC8UCHw%3D%3D

This looks promising! Thanks!  :-+
Neutral | grounded

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 05:12:23 am »
Can you adapt another similar switch lead style? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electric-works/AH1764619-A/644941 is available in single quantity.

Yes, I think so! This is also great. Wow! Thanks! :-+
Neutral | grounded

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 05:13:00 am »
You can grab them from mouser in smaller quantities https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/AH178461?qs=55YtniHzbhAXej8XC8UCHw%3D%3D&_gl=1*17fgnxy*_ga*NjExMDM3NzIyLjE2ODE2NjI4NTI.*_ga_15W4STQT4T*MTY5NDk2NzY2OC4xOC4xLjE2OTQ5Njc3MTIuMC4wLjA.*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*MTY5NDk2NzY2OC4xOC4xLjE2OTQ5Njc3MTIuMTYuMC4w

Thank you! That's great!  :-+
Neutral | grounded

Offline fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2023, 12:11:19 pm »
Sorry I just realized that on mouser they have a 17 week lead time.  Unfortunately, when you need the exact specs/original switch, typically it may not be in stock.  These switch makers tend to make a certain amount of switches that they always have available in their catalog.  And then some of the more specific/less common options, are made-to-order.  Here's another switch from Panasonic that is a simulated roller level like your original but has some slightly different specs.  So it really depends on what you need and what your application is. https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/ABS111444?qs=pVDBBu6HaAj8Nmwo7OPH2A%3D%3D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 07:29:34 am »
Sorry I just realized that on mouser they have a 17 week lead time.  Unfortunately, when you need the exact specs/original switch, typically it may not be in stock.  These switch makers tend to make a certain amount of switches that they always have available in their catalog.  And then some of the more specific/less common options, are made-to-order.  Here's another switch from Panasonic that is a simulated roller level like your original but has some slightly different specs.  So it really depends on what you need and what your application is. https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/ABS111444?qs=pVDBBu6HaAj8Nmwo7OPH2A%3D%3D

Yes, I also noted that later. Not a problem and thank you very much for looking further. The one you mentioned is close. But anyway, the identical (or nearly identical) one seems available on Digi-key. So all sorted. I just need to combine some parts that I need for other projects together into one order to save shipping cost.
Neutral | grounded

The following users thanked this post: fmashockie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 06:52:27 am »
Bought 5 of these from Digikey. It's identical to the one on the machine. Easily replaced so problem fixed.

(One thing strange though is that I now find it almost impossible for the lever to come out from the new part when I tried first to replace the lever only without needing to solder. How was the suction of the vacuum cleaner  able to take it away? It's a mystery now.  :palm: )

Thanks for all the help I got here. It's much appreciated. Closure to one of the many projects.

(The one coming off from the machine is still a working one, only without a lever.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:26:14 am by max.wwwang »
Neutral | grounded

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf