Author Topic: Need help identifying component  (Read 3943 times)

Offline cdacunha71Topic starter

Need help identifying component
« on: April 03, 2024, 05:16:18 pm »
I'm trying to repair the spark ignitor from my daughter's gas cooker. I took out the transformer as none of the plugs were working and opened up the box. The high voltage transformer still measures fine and all other components too. There is one although I cannot identify, it must be some kind of neon bulb as I found some simple spark schematic that use one.

Does someone recognize it, it has 95 marked on the side

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help identifying component
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 05:37:16 pm »
It's a gas discharge tube (GDT)...  https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=gdt

They are normally used as transient protectors (very infrequent high discharge current), but in simple ignition systems they are used to discharge a capacitor into the primary of the high voltage pulse transformer to generate the sparks. They break down at  certain voltage (in the 90V - 250V typically for that package) discharge the capacitor as a current pulse, and then become non-conducting again until the capacitor (normally fed by a resistor) voltage recovers, then triggers again.

GDTs have a limited life in this duty, so it has possibly gone faulty. You may get an idea of the voltage rating by (carefully) measuring the capacitor voltage, and picking one at about 2/3 of that voltage. The discharge capacitor is also highly stressed and may be failing.

P.S. The 95 may be a breakdown voltage rating, but more likely a date code(?) or part number. If there is no 'tick tick tick' sound, regardless of sparks, then the capacitor isn't getting up to voltage or the GDT isn't firing.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:55:53 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf