Author Topic: Oscilloscope is in a boot lock  (Read 346 times)

Offline LoveLaikaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Oscilloscope is in a boot lock
« on: Yesterday at 08:10:09 pm »
I have a Tektronix TBS-1072B oscilloscope. I don't know how it got into this state, but it's in some sort of boot lock state, if that's the right term. I turn it on by pressing the power switch. Some buttons light up and the display shows up, I see the Tektronix name and logo, and an image pops up showing the model name. Then, the screen goes dark, and the process repeats again...and again. Essentially, it's stuck in some boot sequence on startup and it won't properly initialize. Does anyone know how to perhaps factory reset this oscilloscope? Or perhaps, any one know of a way to perhaps get some sort of start-up log from it as it boots up to see why it's like this (like through a serial port or something)?

Online djsb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Oscilloscope is in a boot lock
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:01:51 pm »
Maybe there is an internal CMOS battery that needs replacing? Just guessing.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline LoveLaikaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:40:43 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts. Opening it up, I found the CMOS battery on the side of the main board, but it looks fine. Measuring it, it reads 3 volts, the correct voltage for a CR2032 BR2325 battery.

For what it's worth, I found the service manual for the device, but it doesn't really help much with this situation.

EDIT: Sorry, wrong battery type.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:43:10 pm by LoveLaika »

Online djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:34:21 am »
Is there a procedure for updating the firmware? Have you tried removing the battery and then starting the scope without the battery installed, and then replacing it and trying again? Done at your own risk, of course. How about disconnecting, applying switch lubricant and the reconnecting all the connectors?
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:15:21 am »
hi, if you wanna remove the battery, save before what's kept in the memory, you won't find that data easily.
normally, you should get the debug comm port, solder some ftdi to tx/rx and see what's in the start-up log first
see similar https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=137905
« Last Edit: Today at 07:18:10 am by perieanuo »

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:14:01 am »
I don't know anything about that oscilloscope but such "boot loop" can be caused by the power supply that is no longer able to provide sufficient power later in the boot-up sequence as more sections are enabled.

Any sign of bulging or leaking electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuitry?

Online djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:06:49 am »
The TekScopes group might be able to help

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes

You have to join in order to ask a question. The group mainly has info on the older equipment but there are people on there who are very experienced with general fault-finding. Good luck.
David
Hertfordshire,UK

Online Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:10:00 am »
Beside looking for incontinent caps I´d definitely check the bus voltages with another scope*

*this is finally the proof you NEED at least two scopes in your access.

Online djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:25:21 am »
A few questions.
1/ Do you use this scope regularly?
2/ How old is it?
3/ Is it plugged into the mains supply permanently (on standby) or switched on and off at the power socket when needed?
4/ Has it been working RELIABLY up to this point?
5/ Has there been any INTERMITTENT problems, glitches etc that could give an indication of developing problems.
6/ Has the firmware been updated recently? Can you still get firmware updates?
David
Hertfordshire,UK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf