Author Topic: Onkyo TX-NR686 no DTS Sound  (Read 1073 times)

Offline GulftownTopic starter

• Contributor
Onkyo TX-NR686 no DTS Sound
« on: December 10, 2023, 09:43:53 pm »
Hello,

i got an Onkyo TX-NR686 which has no sound in DTS, TruHD and ATMOS modes.
If i watch a movie with an ac3 track or YouTube, it works just fine and also music streaming works.
The digital mainboard is relativelay straight forward and has an Cirrus Logic CS49844A-CQZ Dolby and DTS decoder chip, which i suspect as the culprit here.

Has anyone ever attemted to replace one of those, or is there a flashed setting on these?
Unfortunately its impossible to get the datasheet for this DSP.

Do you think that reflow might help?

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
Re: Onkyo TX-NR686 no DTS Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 04:22:41 pm »
Unfortunately those chips are often also marked as "no replacement supplied" or something similar. In other words, you can't buy one for repairs because they  (the IP holders) are worried about the chips being used something else without paying the licencing fees.

Most equipment that can output DTS, TrueHD, or Atmos can also be set to decode those internally and send multichannel PCM instead. Of course you lose Atmos object based audio, only an issue if you have more than 7.x speakers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:26:31 pm by macboy »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 07:09:39 pm »
Unfortunately those chips are often also marked as "no replacement supplied" or something similar. In other words, you can't buy one for repairs because they  (the IP holders) are worried about the chips being used something else without paying the licencing fees.

Most equipment that can output DTS, TrueHD, or Atmos can also be set to decode those internally and send multichannel PCM instead. Of course you lose Atmos object based audio, only an issue if you have more than 7.x speakers.

There is an ebay listing for the chip from a seller with more or less good rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373119019318

I mean its 11 Euros and i am capable to solder it using a hot air station, but do you think it would work?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 07:16:27 pm by Gulftown »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 08:12:28 am »
Okay i swapped the Cirrus Logic CS49844A-CQZ but now i get no sound at all.
I am really confident, that everything is soldered correctly and i get data on the lines and the nessecary voltages.
But the chip gets constantly resetted every half second.

I bet the chip needs some kind of programming.
Does anyone have the an TX-NR686 who can dump the memory?
Or a datasheet for the chip maybe?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf