Author Topic: Fluke pti120 fpga problem  (Read 532 times)

Offline KranTopic starter

Fluke pti120 fpga problem
« on: July 31, 2024, 11:29:41 pm »
Hello.
I'm currently fixing an issue where the pti120 won't boot.

The fpga defect was confirmed, so when I first heated it up, it survived, but the defect occurred, so I worked on bga rebolling.

Currently, the oscilloscope does not completely boot up.
There is also a signal towards lcd, but lcd doesn't have any screen output and only blue led is seen when powered on.

If you want to replace the fpga ic, the firmware inside is
If the ic replacement is successful, can it be recognized by the computer and the firmware work can be carried out with the fluke connect program at this time?

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke pti120 fpga problem
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 12:24:19 am »
What exactly are the defects you are referring to?
For BGA chip heating, did you control the temperature accurately? Did you use a hot air workbench to heat it? Or did you remove the BGA chip and re-install it with solder beads?
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2024, 03:40:07 am »
I'm working as a repair engineer for a/s in Korea, and I used the bga equipment in the company to proceed with the work.
It's infrared method.
The temperature has been accurately adjusted.

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2024, 03:48:33 am »
I'm working as a repair engineer for a/s in Korea, and I used the bga equipment in the company to proceed with the work.
It's infrared method.
The temperature has been accurately adjusted.

Usually I use hot air to heat the BGA chip.Infrared heating may be a more advanced method, but its stability and reliability cannot be confirmed.--I mean the success rate of chip welding.
If you can upload a picture of the actual object, maybe more people will be able to help you
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2024, 11:14:47 pm »
I'm repairing a lot of industrial equipment, and most of them have a lot of old boards.
In the case of the hot air method, there are many cases where the IC explodes even if the temperature rises 160 degrees Celsius
In our company, the hot air method is rather less reliable, so we work using dedicated BGA equipment
I've been repairing a lot of equipment like this.

My question is, I confirmed that FPGA is on sale in AliExpress, and if you purchase separately and try, can you work on firmware with FLUKE CONNECT program.

IC defects have been definitely checked.
When the power is turned on, the temperature rises rapidly within 5 seconds over 60 degrees
The signal on the LCD side is strange.

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 11:37:05 pm »
I'm repairing a lot of industrial equipment, and most of them have a lot of old boards.
In the case of the hot air method, there are many cases where the IC explodes even if the temperature rises 160 degrees Celsius
In our company, the hot air method is rather less reliable, so we work using dedicated BGA equipment
I've been repairing a lot of equipment like this.

My question is, I confirmed that FPGA is on sale in AliExpress, and if you purchase separately and try, can you work on firmware with FLUKE CONNECT program.

IC defects have been definitely checked.
When the power is turned on, the temperature rises rapidly within 5 seconds over 60 degrees
The signal on the LCD side is strange.

Did you add flux? Or did you heat it with 160 degrees Celsius hot air?
IC explosion is because you heat up too quickly or there is water vapor or cold air inside the IC, and the drastic temperature change causes cracking or explosion.

Buying chips is easy, choosing a repair solution is the key.
For example, some chips need to be loaded with BOOT image first, and then the firmware is flashed using software.
Some require special programmer tools. Even if you can buy the chip, but cannot get the programmer tools, you will fail in the end.
That's why I asked you to send the picture.
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Online squadchannel

• Regular Contributor
  • deepl translate user
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2024, 12:26:52 am »
Even if you got the FPGA from AliExpress and soldered it in, I would assume it would not work.

This is because, of course, it does not contain firmware, and most update tools can only be written in a normally operating environment.
Even in that case, we usually do not write all areas of the firmware, but only the areas that have been changed.

Besides, what about calibration data, etc.? Of course, it is not in the new FPGA, and in most cases, it is not written by the update tool, etc. Of course, the adjustments are different for each model.
Therefore, it is impossible to repair unless the FPGA firmware is extracted from a working donor.

Suppose you extracted the firmware from the donor and were able to repair it, but it would not be very usable. The dead pixels, temperature adjustments, etc. are naturally different from one thing to another.
So we would have to recalibrate it, Can I ask Fluke to recalibrate? I don't think so.

You will be lucky if you can extract the firmware from the dead FPGA that is now installed.
We can't help you with no pictures either.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 12:29:11 am by squadchannel »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf