Author Topic: Prevent future problem of KORAD3005p  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Inno_DimTopic starter

Prevent future problem of KORAD3005p
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:59:04 pm »
I have korad3005P psu and while I opened it for this project https://www.instructables.com/id/Remote-Sensing-for-Korad-Power-Supply/ where I enable remote sensing for the psu, I noticed that the resistor R1 gets overheated, (top left of the image)..
Somewhere (maybe here) a person mentioned that replaced this resistor. So maybe I need to take precautions

Till now I think that this resistor is part of voltage divider that drives the cooling fan. When the fan is at idle speed most of the energy is consumed in this resistor. When cooling fan is running (under load) the resistor gets cooler as now most of the energy is consumed by the fan. (For those note having this psu I should mention that the cooling fan does not blow on this resistor by any means).
I think that the resistor when fan is at idle speed operates constantly at its power limit, so I am afraid that sooner or later it will need replacement.
Can anyone verify it? Could be bad design?

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Prevent future problem of KORAD3005p
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:26:10 pm »
I have korad3005P psu and while I opened it for this project https://www.instructables.com/id/Remote-Sensing-for-Korad-Power-Supply/ where I enable remote sensing for the psu, I noticed that the resistor R1 gets overheated, (top left of the image)..
Somewhere (maybe here) a person mentioned that replaced this resistor. So maybe I need to take precautions

Till now I think that this resistor is part of voltage divider that drives the cooling fan. When the fan is at idle speed most of the energy is consumed in this resistor. When cooling fan is running (under load) the resistor gets cooler as now most of the energy is consumed by the fan. (For those note having this psu I should mention that the cooling fan does not blow on this resistor by any means).
I think that the resistor when fan is at idle speed operates constantly at its power limit, so I am afraid that sooner or later it will need replacement.
Can anyone verify it? Could be bad design?

If it gets hot just replace it with beefier resistor.

Offline rodcastler

• Regular Contributor
Re: Prevent future problem of KORAD3005p
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:56:42 pm »
I managed to connect a Lipo battery for direct charging -against common sense and probably some manuals-
Even more, I realized I had the polarity reversed after hearing the loud pop and the magic smoke smell.   :palm:

Upon inspection before fixing this little unit, I found two things that called my attention:

First, the casualty was D1 (the largest diode visible at the bottom right, below the current sense spring wire). It had blown into pieces.
Mi question is, how much protection is there after the diode has blown and the circuit gets open? I could not find the schematics for this board to check the protection circuit.

Second, I am pretty sure that the silkscreen for that diode shows a reverse orientation, showing the cathode to the left side!! :wtf:.  Am I missing anything? I'm just glad I double checked against pictures on the internet before soldering the replacement diode. Otherwise I would have soldered it wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf