Author Topic: LTC3850 Step Down Regulator  (Read 274 times)

Offline 2XTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
LTC3850 Step Down Regulator
« on: July 23, 2024, 08:08:02 pm »
Hi,
I have a PCB from a custom inverter and the problem is that the step-down regulator (LTC3850) doesn’t enable the Vout1 of 5V and only enable the Vout2 of 3.3V. At pins “RUN1” & “RUN2” I have 4.7V. I believe that the IC is faulty but I found a connection to the Ground at pin 25 (FREQ/PLLFLTR) and I would like your opinion if this is a short or a normal connection (if it was a short, I believe that I wouldn’t have the 3.3V). I checked the mosfets and the components around the IC and I didn’t find any short, except from the pin 25.
Because the PCB is over two layers (maybe I am missing something) I found that at the pin 25 is connected a ceramic SMD capacitor 1.5nF (measured value) with a parallel 0ohm resistor in parallel (picture 4). If I remove the resistor the connection to the ground is gone.

Datasheet LTC3850:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ltc3850-3850-1.pdf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 07:05:21 pm by 2X »

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor
Re: LTC3850 Step Down Regulator
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 06:56:58 pm »
Are you sure there isn't a second capacitor between the zero-ohm resistor and ground? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to populate a capacitor if it is to be bypassed by a shorting link. :-?

The following users thanked this post: 2X

Offline 2XTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LTC3850 Step Down Regulator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 07:00:20 pm »
Are you sure there isn't a second capacitor between the zero-ohm resistor and ground? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to populate a capacitor if it is to be bypassed by a shorting link. :-?

The same thought I have too.. why to short a capacitor with a resistor? Any thoughts are welcomed.
Finally, I replaced the chip LTC3850 and the PCB works ok.

P.S. Thank you very much for yoru reply.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf