Author Topic: Low-leakage tantalum capacitors for detonating explosives  (Read 647 times)

Offline tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Low-leakage tantalum capacitors for detonating explosives
« on: July 04, 2024, 11:32:50 am »
To anybody that reads this "Repair" sub-board, that headline to an article states the blindingly obvious.

The only surprise is that it hasn't been suggested before  :-DD

Even after reading the article, I like the concept :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Low-leakage tantalum capacitors for detonating explosives
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 11:46:47 am »
Use is foreseen storing ignition energy in remote detonation systems for mining and demolition.
One would think the use is: using it at it's voltage rating as an ignition source.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 12:31:47 pm »
Use is foreseen storing ignition energy in remote detonation systems for mining and demolition.
One would think the use is: using it at it's voltage rating as an ignition source.

Doesn't even have to be at the rated voltage :( A 15V tant on a 13V line is sufficient. C911 (of course!) took out R965.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 01:55:13 pm »
Just had a epoxy dipped solid tantalum capacitor fail in my Tektronix PG506.  It gradually overheated, cracked, and started oozing molten metal, and it is not the first time this PG506 has done this.  Last time I was watching it when it happened, and I changed all of the similar solid tantalum capacitors.  Now I have more to change, and need to check the regulator circuits.

Tantalum capacitors might fail in this way when the power supply has current limiting.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 02:52:24 pm »

Doesn't even have to be at the rated voltage :( A 15V tant on a 13V line is sufficient. C911 (of course!) took out R965.
I was making a revision in a board, where the 25V rated tantalum on a 24V rail was catching on fire in the ATE in about 1% of the cases. Nice green flames.
I don't use tantalum for ATEX for some reason.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 03:30:27 pm »
I don't recall ever hearing about them used for rocket ignitors, but they damn well ought to do a good job of it; the composition is very similar, innit?

The cognitive dissonance reading that article while trying to think about something other than self-combustion is quite delightful. :popcorn:

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024, 04:14:22 pm »
I have a pair of glasses with a mark right in the middle of on of the lenses, two tants on a board i was debugging, one turned white hot desoldered and burned the table, the other exploded and would have hit me right in the eye if I wasn't wearing glasses

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2024, 04:44:49 pm »
The cognitive dissonance reading that article while trying to think about something other than self-combustion is quite delightful. :popcorn:

:)

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2024, 06:41:34 pm »
Sure beats lighting fuses with a match.   A very timely subject on this Independence Day.

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2024, 07:39:45 pm »
To store energy for remote detonation systems, not to initiate them directly.  I was thinking that they were using the caps tendency to explode as a mouser-ready initiator lol

That brought me right back to my days experimenting with various methods of directly detonating certain secondary explosives without primaries or low explosives. Fun times for sure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf