Author Topic: Audi A6 control unit repair  (Read 635 times)

Offline BalefatiTopic starter

• Contributor
Audi A6 control unit repair
« on: August 27, 2024, 07:22:22 am »
Hello everyone :)

i got a broken control unit for the steering column lock of my Audi A6 4F5 C6. Upon opening it i smelled a very faint hint of burn from one area of the board. One solder joint of that component looks burnt to me (red arrow). The top of it also looks a little burnt. I tried to capture it as good as possible. Also scraped the coating from the components nearby if that helps. I measured it in circuit and got the following measurements: around 175 ohms when measuring between the "left" leg on the side with two legs and the leg that looks burnt. Voltage drop between those two is 0.250V (in both directions). All other combinations of legs dont give me any readings. Dont know if this is useful since it is in circuit.

My question now is: Can anyone identify what that component is and whether its likely that it failed?

Please let me know if you need additional information or pictures :)

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Audi A6 control unit repair
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 07:32:50 am »
Maybe this https://smd.yooneed.one/ will help you?

Online daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2024, 07:52:07 am »
Hello everyone :)

i got a broken control unit for the steering column lock of my Audi A6 4F5 C6. Upon opening it i smelled a very faint hint of burn from one area of the board. One solder joint of that component looks burnt to me (red arrow). The top of it also looks a little burnt. I tried to capture it as good as possible. Also scraped the coating from the components nearby if that helps. I measured it in circuit and got the following measurements: around 175 ohms when measuring between the "left" leg on the side with two legs and the leg that looks burnt. Voltage drop between those two is 0.250V (in both directions). All other combinations of legs dont give me any readings. Dont know if this is useful since it is in circuit.

My question now is: Can anyone identify what that component is and whether its likely that it failed?

Please let me know if you need additional information or pictures :)

BAS21 Silkscreen JS LBAS21LT1G SOT23 250V 250mA Switching Diode
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Offline bborisov567

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 08:06:28 am »
Looks like may be the diode for back EMF protection from the coil, given it is close to the relay.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 01:00:22 pm »
So, would i be able to bridge the contacts and see if it works or would the back EMF fry something done the line. Or is the diode a "just to be sure" thing. I could check if it works and then order the diode.

Offline bborisov567

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 01:19:10 pm »
Given the way it looks there is no chance to be functional. I would recommend replacing it with another diode that you have at hand and see if the module works. There is a possibility of the MCU output port being damaged by the back EMF if the burned diode has gone to open circuit.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 04:11:58 pm »
Given the way it looks there is no chance to be functional. I would recommend replacing it with another diode that you have at hand and see if the module works. There is a possibility of the MCU output port being damaged by the back EMF if the burned diode has gone to open circuit.

So any diode with a low enough forward voltage will do for testing? Like any through hole diode for example? I have a N4004 diode on hand.

Offline bborisov567

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 07:19:40 am »
1N4007, 1N4007 both will be fine for a test.

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 07:32:18 am »
Verify and confirm again the polarity

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2024, 09:12:10 am »

So the silver ring should be on the side where there is one leg on the SOT23? At least thats what i get from the datasheet of the original diode.

Offline Coordonnée_chromatique

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2024, 09:50:21 am »

Offline bborisov567

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2024, 09:53:32 am »

So the silver ring should be on the side where there is one leg on the SOT23? At least thats what i get from the datasheet of the original diode.

That is correct. The pin close to the ring is called Cathode, the other Anode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf