Author Topic: Laptop Blown fuse replacement  (Read 2260 times)

Offline chegueva01Topic starter

• Contributor
  • The learner
Laptop Blown fuse replacement
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:14:13 pm »
Hello guys.

I have a sony Vaio that has a backlight issue , i found a fuse ( polyswitch 1A / 32V ) on the motherboard side being blown , so i used a wire to jumper to see if it would work and it did. ( there was a short in the lcd screen)
So my question now :

Do i need exact replacement for this fuse or can i use another normal fuse or even resistor ( low ohms like 5 or something) ?

LOoking forward to your answers. Cheerz
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:30:15 pm by chegueva01 »
Teach me more About electronics

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Laptop Blown fuse replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:29:48 pm »
You can use usual fuse instead of polyfuse. If you try to use 5 ohm resistor, you will have burned resistor and burned PCB.

The following users thanked this post: chegueva01

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:33:29 pm »
You can use usual fuse instead of polyfuse. If you try to use 5 ohm resistor, you will have burned resistor and burned PCB.

I was watching a guy on youtube replacing a fuse with resistor ( 5 ohm) , that's why am asking if that's possible

The youtuber is Sorin ( Electronics repair school) .
https://youtu.be/wnVsuZQfJDI

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:38:29 pm »
A fuse is there for a reason - so always replace with a fuse.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 12:46:39 pm »

I was watching a guy on youtube replacing a fuse with resistor ( 5 ohm) , that's why am asking if that's possible

It's dumb. If there is say 0.5A current, it's 1.25W dissipated from this resistor. If current rises to 1A, it becomes 5W. Also instead of simply breaking the circuit, it will overheat and burn the PCB, pads will delaminate.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:05:42 pm by wraper »

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:49:43 pm »

It's dumb. If there is say 0.5A current, it's 1.5W dissipated from this resistor. If current rises to 1A, it becomes 5W. Also instead of simply breaking the circuit, it will overheat and burn the PCB, pads will delaminate.

Ye makes sense , he probably used that Resistor then as a wire cause it has low ohms. and still that's a bad idea i reckon. so i'll get myself a normal fuse from a broken screen with same parameters.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 12:56:03 pm »
Ye makes sense , he probably used that Resistor then as a wire cause it has low ohms. and still that's a bad idea i reckon. so i'll get myself a normal fuse from a broken screen with same parameters.
4.7 ohm is has way higher resistance than 1A polyfuse. Not to say in that video it was a usual fuse, not polyfuse and had resistance in range of tens of milliohms maximum.

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:11:52 pm »
4.7 ohm is has way higher resistance than 1A polyfuse. Not to say in that video it was a usual fuse, not polyfuse and had resistance in range of tens of milliohms maximum.

Maybe it was a 1.5A or 2A Fuse , it's not a polyswitch one. cause it's a different laptop than mine.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 01:27:01 pm »
it was a 1.5A or 2A Fuse , it's not a polyswitch one. cause it's a different laptop than mine.
Then it's even worse substitute.

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 01:30:12 pm »
it was a 1.5A or 2A Fuse , it's not a polyswitch one. cause it's a different laptop than mine.
Then it's even worse substitute.

I said maybe so i have actually no idea lol. i'll just grab me a normal fuse cause i can't get my hands on polyswitch one and that's it. no resistor.

Thanks mate , i appreciate your help

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 01:43:48 pm »
I said maybe so i have actually no idea lol. i'll just grab me a normal fuse cause i can't get my hands on polyswitch one and that's it. no resistor.

Thanks mate , i appreciate your help
If it had 1206 size, then N marking usually means 2A current rating.

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:37 pm »
Near thE LVDS socket on the LCD panel’s driver board there is also a fuse therefore technically you could leave your jumper intact so long as your ribbon cable’s integrity is not at risk
Tinkerer’

The following users thanked this post: chegueva01

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 11:55:08 pm »
If you have an old scrap motherboard, you will usually find a 1A, or greater, polyswitch near the USB connectors.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 12:18:37 am »
If you have an old scrap motherboard, you will usually find a 1A, or greater, polyswitch near the USB connectors.
You should not use those. They are rated for 6V or 9V in the best case.

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 12:03:39 pm »
Near thE LVDS socket on the LCD panel’s driver board there is also a fuse therefore technically you could leave your jumper intact so long as your ribbon cable’s integrity is not at risk

That's true , there is another fuse int the lcd screen. so i should just leave it like this then.

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 03:24:45 pm »
Yes, and if your laptop eventually burn down the house because of short in the display cable, remember this thread.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 03:31:16 pm »
Yes, and if your laptop eventually burn down the house because of short in the display cable, remember this thread.
I doubt this will burn down the house but PCB may receive some irreparable damage.

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 05:21:35 pm »

why ? isn't the fuse job to avoid something like that from happening?

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 05:26:37 pm »
Just to update: the ribbon cable is fine cause i tried another screeen and backlight is back and it worked without any issues.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 05:46:00 pm »
Just to update: the ribbon cable is fine cause i tried another screeen and backlight is back and it worked without any issues.
It's fine now but may short later. Or say some moisture may get onto display connector on motherboard (happens quite often).

• Contributor
  • The learner
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 07:04:00 pm »
It's fine now but may short later. Or say some moisture may get onto display connector on motherboard (happens quite often).

Ye makes sense. i'll just follow your advice and replace the fuse, its no rocket science i guess .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf